Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accessing GEN lamp
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Accessing GEN lamp Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've dealt with all my wiring issues and I'm still perplexed, but based on what you've coached me with, my issue may be a bad connection at the GEN lamp, or a dying lamp. When I grounded the B+ on the alternator housing- no GEN light.

It also comes on periodically. Sometimes I turn the key, the GEN is on. Sometimes it's off. Sometimes first thing in the morning it's there, sometimes not.

My q: how do I access the GEN lamp? Is it just a matter of unscrewing the 5 screws in the trunk?

It's a 78 Super

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Accessing GEN lamp Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one has answered yet. So I will...

Your question is pretty much about pulling the speedometer head out so you can access the charging lamp. To do this, you have to reach under the dash (there's probably a small square-ish plate in the way that will have to get removed) and unscrew the speedometer cable. Once the cable is disconnected, the speedometer needs to be shoved toward the steering wheel. It's only held in by a corrugated rubber sleeve. Sometimes it's easier to pull it towards the rear of the car by a couple of right-angle pick tools, one on each side.

(that metal plate in the trunk only allows access to the wiper motor and an air chamber, but NOT the speedometer)

Now, the fact that the bulb lights up sometimes and not others is a different topic. Dash bulbs seldom fail in this manner, either they work or they don't. Yes, Bosch alternators do need the small current that goes through the dash bulb to "excite" the charging circuit, so you want that bulb to be lit up before you start the car. (generators, on the other hand do not need this)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Accessing GEN lamp Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Yes, Bosch alternators do need the small current that goes through the dash bulb to "excite" the charging circuit, so you want that bulb to be lit up before you start the car. (generators, on the other hand do not need this)

I didn't know the generator didn't require that - I thought they all did, thanks.

glutamodo - I used to live close to your location. We would go to Laramie for vacations with my family because it was the "Big City". Those were the days. I miss Big Sky Country. You can't explain Big Sky to someone from the midwest flats.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Accessing GEN lamp Reply with quote

waller wrote:
When I grounded the B+ on the alternator housing- no GEN light.

Uh, when you did what? Shocked
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Accessing GEN lamp Reply with quote

Have you cleaned the ground straps to the body (there is one on the front of the trans. also). Post a pic of the motor so we can see your wiring. A Bosch alt. has a plastic plate with a spade connector held in by 3 screws and there is a brush under there that might need replacing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: