Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

Apparently there’s a Weber carb shortage due to COVID. However I think a I found a dual 40 IDF kit but it lists it’s only good for bug and bus. Is this because of the air cleaners? If so I’m just going to order them and find a shorter air cleaner(s). Any other reason why they wouldn’t fit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

another variable is the manifolds. some are a bit tall and some are offset (in a good way) I haven't fitted 40idf's specifically, so I'm sorry i can't advise on the best combo so you can keep the deck lid springs and fit the aircleaners in.
but i have stuffed 48 IDA's with air cleaners in and made it work so I'm sure you will have success Very Happy
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes should be fine. I did this recently.

I got CB performance offset manifolds.

This gives plenty of room for the air cleaners. See the below Pic. I think I'd even have room for the much taller ones.

See below pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

That looks good. Do you like your twist linkage better than the crossbar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

carguytroy wrote:
That looks good. Do you like your twist linkage better than the crossbar?

Yes I prefer it. It seems simpler and cleaner to me. I don't see any disadvantages. Maybe others will chime in if there are.
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried some bigger air filters today and they do fit. But when you close the lid they are only 2-3mm away from the springs. So it's pretty close but fine. They look much better than the cheapo ones on before.

macdweal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

The springs fold up when you close the lid. So if the springs touch the air cleaners when the lid is open, they will clear when closed. No need for struts.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

On my ‘70 the left spring didn’t touch but the right one did. Enough to deform the filter. I removed that spring for a time but eventually went with shorter stacks and filters. This was with 45 Dells and CB offset manifolds.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
On my ‘70 the left spring didn’t touch but the right one did. Enough to deform the filter. I removed that spring for a time but eventually went with shorter stacks and filters. This was with 45 Dells and CB offset manifolds.

My air cleaners are too tall for sure. Where'd you get your shorter air cleaners?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

carguytroy wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:

My air cleaners are too tall for sure. Where'd you get your shorter air cleaners?

Careful with the short filters you need a certain amount of space above the stacks or you cause other issues.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

I havent purchased the velocity stacks yet either. I was wondering about those and the short air cleaners. Probably need the shortest stack they make for these
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

I never understood running the lower profile air cleaners. I thought the reason for adding dual carbs was to get more air in and more power after all.

You can buy these or make a set of these as well to use the taller air cleaner:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1808184
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

CB has some short stacks and the 2 1/2” air cleaner elements. They don’t seem to have the tapered stacks for 40’s. When I got my short tapered stacks I got them from Dellorto UK as CB didn’t have them then for my 45s. They do now but not for the 40s.
Shorter stacks will lose a couple of horses which might be measurable but it’s nothing I’ve noticed driving.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Duck58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

An alternative, Berg sell the bracket/prop circled although it would be easy enough to make one.

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDF’s for The Ghia Reply with quote

carguytroy wrote:
Apparently there’s a Weber carb shortage due to COVID. However I think a I found a dual 40 IDF kit but it lists it’s only good for bug and bus. Is this because of the air cleaners? If so I’m just going to order them and find a shorter air cleaner(s). Any other reason why they wouldn’t fit?

The reason they don't list Ghia is because you have to remove the stock air cleaner support so their reasoning is they don't fit because it is in the way. Other than that the motor will like them just as well as a bug or bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: