Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement Part - diaphragm valve
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeuroVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Replacement Part - diaphragm valve Reply with quote

1999 Eurovan VR6, 200k miles.

This diaphragm valve is in need of replacement. It is on the passenger side of the valve cover. Note: It has a vacuum line coming off it.

The diaphragm inside is warped permanently, so it no longer lays as it should.

Is this still available from VW? Part number?

If not, is there another type or brand I can substitute for it?

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: PCV Valve Reply with quote

I believe the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve is available only as a component of a larger assembly of valves and hoses. On Europarts-SD, look under Engine Mechanical->Internal Engine Components->Crankcase/PCV valve and hose assembly. Add it to your cart to see what the part number is.
NeuroVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Hose assembly Reply with quote

I looked at that site. Yikes....$221.92 for the whole assembly of hoses, valve, and sensor. Ouch.

There has to be another PCV valve out there from some other make model vehicle that I could rig up to work for a lot less. The tricky bit is the vacuum line coming off it. Many PCV valves do not have that.

I will have to research more. I just need the valve, not the entire assembly setup.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire assembly is $170 at ECS. Still expensive, but at least under $200: http://www.ecstuning.com/ES268990/?gclid=COyln4DA78YCFY9ufgodyvgEaA . And it's $166 at Jim Ellis VW: http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Pressure-regulating-valve/5131095/021129101D.html .

The part number for just that valve is 7M0128101. A quick search turned up sources for it... all across the pond.

Some folks have simply bypassed the valve, leaving the heating element in place:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1242015
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1070868
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NeuroVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: PCV Internals Reply with quote

Decided to cut the pcv apart to have a look. The diaphragm was definitely bad.

It appeared there was another flexible washer on the underside of the "wheel."

The vacuum line path seems to route around the circumference through slots around the edge.

Price for the pcv valve alone, from the UK, is about $80.

I think just running a hose off the valve cover is what I will try.

So then is any of that expensive $200 hose assembly with the metal tube in it even needed? Can I just plug the lines that would normally connect to it?

alaird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Part - diaphragm valve Reply with quote

I keep reading that this assembly is for cold weather and living in AZ, I'm wondering if there is an alternate part that deletes this.

It seems like both the assembly 021129101D and the valve 7M0128101 are pretty hard to find.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Part - diaphragm valve Reply with quote

If you don’t have $200 for an engine component oF this nature get out now.

Budget 15 cents per mile to run a T4.
alaird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Part - diaphragm valve Reply with quote

I'm not so worried about the cost. I was looking around for the assembly and VW is no longer selling it and the third party suppliers are also showing it out of stock. It's called out as a cold weather part so I as just wondering if there is an alternate part that might have better availability.
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Part - diaphragm valve Reply with quote

The last post on this thread, which is actually from earlier this month, says they used an A4 valve to cobble together a solution:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726234

I think the "cold weather" part is a variation on the valve. IIRC there's going to be a PCV there regardless but for colder climates the part may be different.

Either way there should be a way to retrofit that A4 valve or another VW part - the concept is the same for all of the VW/Audi PCV systems I've seen from this era.

Otherwise I'd look for a junkyard van that has parts you can pillage.
cobysmolens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Part - diaphragm valve Reply with quote

A half year later than last reply to this thread, I'll chime in to offer this info, since there seems to be some confusion as to what this part is (021 129 101D). This is the PCV valve and breather hose assembly.

Its purpose is to allow, and regulate, the flow of crankcase vapor into the intake air stream to be burned along with the fuel mixture. It is unfortunately (I didn't say stupid - did anyone hear me say stupid? Ok, stupid) complex, and should (if the manufacturer had half the sense of an earthworm) be available in replaceable components. But no. That would be too easy. This is a single assembly, and would cost around $190 - if anyone had it new, which I doubt they do, at least not here in the US.

Some responses in this thread suggest that this part can be eliminated, or blocked off, or otherwise fudged. Here in CA that is NOT the case. Smog people will fail (or abort) a smog test with any sign of tampering with that pipe (or any other part of the emissions system) during the visual inspection. In our case, just now, we're importing the van from NV (no smog), so it has to go for a STAR test - and those stations don't screw around. If one could find just the PCV valve itself (or find one with a similar configuration - i.e. vacuum controlled (not electrical) and same hose connections) it would be an easy replacement.

There are significant reasons this system must remain functional:
1) The PCV valve blocks the flow of crankcase vapors to the intake except under very controlled conditions. Un-governed vapor flow constitutes a significant air leak and will cause a lean-burn condition. In our case the valve is not closing (both the diaphragm and the valve seat are non-op), and we have a check-engine code relating to lean-burn, so we need to fix this to get it smogged and legal in CA.
2) Unchecked CCV (crankcase vapor) will severely gum up the whole intake, including the back side of the intake valves, eventually requiring a serious repair operation.
3) CCV that has to travel any distance to get to the intake WILL condense along the way at very moderate ambient temps, well above freezing, like just a cool morning here in the bay area. This system is designed to prevent that - it is NOT just a cold-climate work-around.
3) A leaky PCV vacuum diaphragm is also a small vacuum leak, and may set a check-engine code. Probably not a big enough leak to do significant damage - but this should be seen as a wake-up call to be sure ALL the vacuum hoses, pipes, fittings and control components are OK, fix any that aren't. We found several, including the brake booster pipe, secondary air control valve, and a couple other small vacuum hoses.

So - as of now, it seems there is no new 021 129 101D here in the US. The A4 part referenced in another thread on this topic is also NLA. I am now looking in both US junkyards and overseas, hoping that in Germany they are a little more sensible (since there are a zillion of these things running around over there). I'll post info if/when I find anything useful. Stay tuned!

Friendly service for vagabond vans (and their humans) since 1988.

[email protected]
(415) 747-5709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Part - diaphragm valve Reply with quote

cobysmolens wrote:
A half year later than last reply to this thread, I'll chime in to offer this info, since there seems to be some confusion as to what this part is (021 129 101D). This is the PCV valve and breather hose assembly.

Its purpose is to allow, and regulate, the flow of crankcase vapor into the intake air stream to be burned along with the fuel mixture. It is unfortunately (I didn't say stupid - did anyone hear me say stupid? Ok, stupid) complex, and should (if the manufacturer had half the sense of an earthworm) be available in replaceable components. But no. That would be too easy. This is a single assembly, and would cost around $190 - if anyone had it new, which I doubt they do, at least not here in the US.

Some responses in this thread suggest that this part can be eliminated, or blocked off, or otherwise fudged. Here in CA that is NOT the case. Smog people will fail (or abort) a smog test with any sign of tampering with that pipe (or any other part of the emissions system) during the visual inspection. In our case, just now, we're importing the van from NV (no smog), so it has to go for a STAR test - and those stations don't screw around. If one could find just the PCV valve itself (or find one with a similar configuration - i.e. vacuum controlled (not electrical) and same hose connections) it would be an easy replacement.

There are significant reasons this system must remain functional:
1) The PCV valve blocks the flow of crankcase vapors to the intake except under very controlled conditions. Un-governed vapor flow constitutes a significant air leak and will cause a lean-burn condition. In our case the valve is not closing (both the diaphragm and the valve seat are non-op), and we have a check-engine code relating to lean-burn, so we need to fix this to get it smogged and legal in CA.
2) Unchecked CCV (crankcase vapor) will severely gum up the whole intake, including the back side of the intake valves, eventually requiring a serious repair operation.
3) CCV that has to travel any distance to get to the intake WILL condense along the way at very moderate ambient temps, well above freezing, like just a cool morning here in the bay area. This system is designed to prevent that - it is NOT just a cold-climate work-around.
3) A leaky PCV vacuum diaphragm is also a small vacuum leak, and may set a check-engine code. Probably not a big enough leak to do significant damage - but this should be seen as a wake-up call to be sure ALL the vacuum hoses, pipes, fittings and control components are OK, fix any that aren't. We found several, including the brake booster pipe, secondary air control valve, and a couple other small vacuum hoses.

So - as of now, it seems there is no new 021 129 101D here in the US. The A4 part referenced in another thread on this topic is also NLA. I am now looking in both US junkyards and overseas, hoping that in Germany they are a little more sensible (since there are a zillion of these things running around over there). I'll post info if/when I find anything useful. Stay tuned!

HOw is this your first post?
Great info.
Please return with your findings. Hopefully you found a boxfull of new parts sitting in the back of a closed German autoshop.
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Part - diaphragm valve Reply with quote

I've search the German ebay, I can tell you it's the same situation there, at least from what I've found out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: