Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent? Reply with quote

Propex exhaust out the old Dometic fridge vent?

I pulled the trigger on the propex 2211, new arb fridge and slider, fridg delete kit.

The plan is to pull the old frige, create a spot down low for the propex and create a plenum to blow the warm air the the grill at the bottom of the old fridge location. Since the old frige will be gone I'm thinking about vent the exhaust out the old domestic exhaust location. Has anyone done this?
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the install instructions and it looks like the flue wants to go down to allow condensation to get out. The Domestic flue location may not work.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent? Reply with quote

ScottShelley wrote:

I pulled the trigger on the propex 2211, new arb fridge and slider, fridg delete kit.

The plan is to pull the old frige, create a spot down low for the propex and create a plenum to blow the warm air the the grill at the bottom of the old fridge location. Since the old frige will be gone I'm thinking about vent the exhaust out the old domestic exhaust location. Has anyone done this?

Huh??? According to the manufacturer's website... "The Propex Heatsource HS2211 heater is designed for mounting the unit underneath the vehicle..." (as in exterior mount). So why in the world would you want to re-route the exhaust back into the van and out the old Dometic fridge vent??? Gonna be a million times quieter if you mount it on the exterior as intended. Great heater BTW.
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent? Reply with quote

Actually,it can be mounted inside or outside. It is supposed to be quieter. Now if you reread my post you may notice that I am mounting it inside in the location of the old fridge.....that's why

ThankYouJerry wrote:
ScottShelley wrote:

Huh??? According to the manufacturer's website... "The Propex Heatsource HS2211 heater is designed for mounting the unit underneath the vehicle..." (as in exterior mount). So why in the world would you want to re-route the exhaust back into the van and out the old Dometic fridge vent??? Gonna be a million times quieter if you mount it on the exterior as intended. Great heater BTW.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been done. Do a search for Propex and it will pop up.
The guy installed it high up in the old fridge location and created a storage area below. I did the opposite and find it works very well.
It's nice to have the hot air exit low and next to your toes too.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent? Reply with quote

ScottShelley wrote:
Actually,it can be mounted inside or outside. It is supposed to be quieter. Now if you reread my post you may notice that I am mounting it inside in the location of the old fridge.....that's why

I got to admit to asking the same question. What is the main reason not to mount it outside? Seems this is the true advantage of the HS2211. There is an advantage to mounting the hot air output down low since hot air rises. The exhaust tube needs to be able to drain condensation as already stated. All this conspires against mounting it up high. Since the unit is designed for the outside, why not take full advantage of it?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the one who set up a Propex under the cooking unit and exhausted out through the fridge vent.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330026&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It worked fine and I used this setup until just this autumn. I have moved it though, for a couple reasons.
First, I didn't like having to remember to remove the vent cover (used to keep water out of the exhaust pipe) and I didn't like the uphill path of the exhaust routing.
Where I installed the heater worked really well for heat delivery, and it used space normally wasted but the location was also difficult to service. While I never had any issues with the Propex not working access to the heater was hard.
Where the hot air came out worked really well blowing out from under the rear table was great.

I moved it to the floor under where the fridge sits. I don't have a fridge there (we use a Edgestar electric fridge/freezer) that space is used for a port-potty/storage. The heat now flows out by the floor.
No pictures right now of the new setup but if you search for "under fridge" mounting you will find others have done this same thing. Works good.
(edit: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=480243
Mine looks like Madspaniard's but no fridge)

I also mounted a 110v/12v charger/converter next to the Propex in the same space. This raised the floor of the storage area and necessitated the fabrication of a new door. I have only a temporary door for now and will make a custom matching door this winter.

However, after all that. If I had the new Propex that mounts outside I would do that first.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent? Reply with quote

First, I may mount it outside, I'm weighing my options. My main reservation about putting it outside is that it is going in a Syncro so it may take some abuse. That plus I'm not crazy about putting those 3 inch holes through the floor. We will se once I have it in hand and can play around with location.

singler3360 wrote:
ScottShelley wrote:

I got to admit to asking the same question. What is the main reason not to mount it outside? Seems this is the true advantage of the HS2211. There is an advantage to mounting the hot air output down low since hot air rises. The exhaust tube needs to be able to drain condensation as already stated. All this conspires against mounting it up high. Since the unit is designed for the outside, why not take full advantage of it?
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont fret the holes. a three inch holesaw leaves a clean hole. If you ever want to pull the propex, take a trip to a wrecking yard with a larger holesaw and get a fill patch. The fewer places to make condensation happen in the van the better. Show us pics of your install. That is a nice furnace, enjoy.
Agna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done helping a friend install one under his 2wd. Awesome location!! I had the older model and put it under the (new) fridge inside. If I had a choice I would go for the outside mount, under the slider. Only sticks down about 1/2 inch, so for a syncro should be no problem, if your worried call joe at Das Mule and get some rock sliders and your set! The new model is a lot quitter plus having it outside makes it even more. We ended up having the heat vents behind passenger seat in the floor. In the summer he will just put a carpet over it when not in use. Oh and the new vents are a lot smaller than the old, you only have to drill 2-5/8 hole not 3" Very Happy
Sorry my bad on no pics. I'll try to snap some next time I see him.
Steve
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is where I mounted mine. I showed this in an earlier thread. I am not sure you will like the noise from the exhaust. My son purchased the new model like yours and it is quieter than mine. You will love your propex!

I also installed another tank since we camp in cold winter weather and I need the extra LP for extended trips. We have never needed it but if we plan to camp for a long time I included an extended stay to my auxilary tank.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how you set up the vent in the former fridge location....nice
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the 2211 today and started scoping it out. I'm definitely going to put it under the van on the door side. One observation I made is you definitely don't want to immerse this thing or expose it to large amounts of water. The return air from the living space goes directly in to the interior of the unit and the electronic components. I don't trust the flex duct provided with it to not get damaged and allow water in or provide a tight seal. I have other ideas about how to do this using other methods get up through the floor. I'll take pictures as I install and post more later.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent? Reply with quote

ScottShelley wrote:

ThankYouJerry wrote:
ScottShelley wrote:

ScottShelley wrote:
Got the 2211 today and started scoping it out. I'm definitely going to put it under the van on the door side. One observation I made is you definitely don't want to immerse this thing or expose it to large amounts of water. The return air from the living space goes directly in to the interior of the unit and the electronic components. I don't trust the flex duct provided with it to not get damaged and allow water in or provide a tight seal. I have other ideas about how to do this using other methods get up through the floor. I'll take pictures as I install and post more later.

Oooooohhhhhh really?....... Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent? Reply with quote

This is what I really don't like about the Samba....

ThankYouJerry wrote:
ScottShelley wrote:

ThankYouJerry wrote:
ScottShelley wrote:

ScottShelley wrote:

ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent? Reply with quote

What I didn't like... was your snarky reply to my original post. You could have originally replied something like, "Ok, cool, thanks for your point of view.", but you didn't. Instead, you chose to be snide then ended up going with what I pointed out (politely) in the first reply to your post. If this "is what you really don't like about the Samba" then show a little courtesy in your comments... and I (and most everyone else here) will return the favor. That's been my experience with The Samba... and I love and appreciate this community.

ScottShelley wrote:

ThankYouJerry wrote:
ScottShelley wrote:

ThankYouJerry wrote:
ScottShelley wrote:

ScottShelley wrote:

ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent? Reply with quote

My intention was not to be snarky....my apologies

ThankYouJerry wrote:
What I didn't like... was your snarky reply to my original post. You could have originally replied something like, "Ok, cool, thanks for your point of view.", but you didn't. Instead, you chose to be snide then ended up going with what I pointed out (politely) in the first reply to your post. If this "is what you really don't like about the Samba" then show a little courtesy in your comments... and I (and most everyone else here) will return the favor. That's been my experience with The Samba... and I love and appreciate this community.

ScottShelley wrote:

ThankYouJerry wrote:
ScottShelley wrote:

ThankYouJerry wrote:
ScottShelley wrote:

ScottShelley wrote:

thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael — do you have more pictures of how you routed that vent from the propex to under the fridge? Love how stock it looks.

On my van, PO installed Propex and Truckfridge. I hate the look of the TF though, so thinking about putting the fridge door back in.

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent? Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:
Syncro Jael — do you have more pictures of how you routed that vent from the propex to under the fridge? Love how stock it looks.

On my van, PO installed Propex and Truckfridge. I hate the look of the TF though, so thinking about putting the fridge door back in.

Syncro Jael has since moved on to the Chinese Diesel Heater.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex exhaust out the old Dometic Fridge vent? Reply with quote

Going through the floor is best.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: