Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Member With a Question (Electrical)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Hello all, I couldn’t find an (introduction forum) so I’ll just make my first post a question. Cool

I recently bought a ‘71 regular beetle that’s in decent shape but needs a few bugs worked out. I’ve ordered several new parts for it but the electrical system is the main focus right now. My dad & I were trying to get the headlights working today but we’ve run into a wall so to speak. With the ignition switch in the *off* position & the headlight switch pulled into the *on* position I’m getting power to the light in the radio as well power to the fuse (using a test light). However, we’re not getting power to the headlights until I turn the ignition switch to the *on* position. Using the test light I get power to the headlight plugs & even the actual prongs on the headlight (between the plug & the light) but neither headlight will light up. This makes no sense to me since there’s power making it to the headlights. Does anybody have any ideas?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Hammerhead69 wrote:
With the ignition switch in the *off* position & the headlight switch pulled into the *on* position I’m getting power to the light in the radio as well power to the fuse (using a test light). However, we’re not getting power to the headlights until I turn the ignition switch to the *on* position.

This was designed this way, starting with the 1971 year, at least in USA. Headlights only work with key switched to "run" position and switch pulled out, but the tail lights and markers will still light without the key being turned.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

This was designed this way, starting with the 1971 year, at least in USA. Headlights only work with key switched to "run" position and switch pulled out, but the tail lights and markers will still light without the key being turned.
Thanks Cusser, that info definitely helps but any idea why I’m getting power at the headlights but they won’t light up? I even bought new lights as I thought the ones in there were maybe burned out.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Hammerhead69 wrote:
any idea why I’m getting power at the headlights but they won’t light up? I even bought new lights as I thought the ones in there were maybe burned out.

The two filaments in the sealed beam headlight can also be checked with an ohmmeter.

If the headlight filament is getting positive voltage and not lighting, then the grounding part of the circuit has an issue. Anything recently get painted?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

If the headlight filament is getting positive voltage and not lighting, then the grounding part of the circuit has an issue. Anything recently get painted?
It doesn’t look like anything was recently painted. I’ll check the grounding points tomorrow. Thanks for responding this my first VW & I’m learning.

Anybody know what the wire that comes off the relay under the rear seat & goes through the back of the floor pan through a rubber grommet on the driver side of the tunnel & toward the back? Mine is broken & just hanging under the car. It’s a red wire in a gray (sheath?).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Hammerhead69 wrote:

Anybody know what the wire that comes off the relay under the rear seat & goes through the back of the floor pan through a rubber grommet on the driver side of the tunnel & toward the back? Mine is broken & just hanging under the car. It’s a red wire in a gray (sheath?).

That's what my #50 going to the starter solenoid looks like. If it's hooked to a relay, one of the previous owners probably installed a "hard start relay".

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:

That's what my #50 going to the starter solenoid looks like. If it's hooked to a relay, one of the previous owners probably installed a "hard start relay".

Thanks. I was hoping that’s what it is. As it is now, the P.O. had redneck engineered a direct wire through the passenger side floorboard to the battery. You have to touch that wire to the battery to engage the starter. That’s obviously not gonna work.
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Ok, I got the headlight issue handled so far (grounding issue) so now I’m trying to figure out the starter issue. I plugged the wire that Dark Earth identified as the starter solenoid wire (turns out it wasn’t hooked to a relay) to the solenoid after disconnecting the jumper wire the P.O. had rigged. I get nothing when turning the key. I read that the red & black wire coming from the ignition switch is the wire that ultimately ends up at the solenoid. Using the test light when should I see power on this wire at the ignition switch? All the time or just when the key is turned to start position?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Just when turned to the start position.

There is a connector between the ignition switch lead and the wire running to the starter motor right by the speedometer cable near the speedometer. It may be disconnected. All starter wires (originally) were red with a black tracer. This circuit is the 50 circuit. You will see the number 50 embossed into original components.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Test the voltage at both the red (#30) wire and the red/black (#50) wire at the ignition switch plug at the bottom of the steering column. The red wire is constant 12v from the battery. Ideally, this should be the same voltage as the battery posts (12.6v). Turn the key to START and test the voltage at the red/black wire. The voltage on this wire should be exactly the same as the red wire. Any voltage difference is caused by the switch internal contacts. If you see a significant voltage loss on the red/black wire (less than 11.0v on the wire) it means the ignition switch contacts are burnt. This happens over time with high amps flowing to energize the starter solenoid.

The hard start relay mentioned above reduces the current flowing thru the ignition switch and moves the current load to the relay under the rear seat. This will extend the life of the ignition switch contacts. It also reduces the voltage that needs to flow thru the ignition switch. As long as the ignition switch can consistently produce 6.0v+ when the key is turned to START it can energize a Bosch-style hard start relay under the rear seat. The relay passes direct battery voltage to the starter solenoid #50 terminal. The starter solenoid stops working reliably once the input voltage drops below 11.0v so 12.6v from the battery post makes for a reliable solenoid power source.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Test the voltage at both the red (#30) wire and the red/black (#50) wire at the ignition switch plug at the bottom of the steering column.

Thanks for all the info! You mention the red/black wire coming out of the ignition. I haven’t tested the voltage yet but this wire has a small cut? in the sheath right after the ignition switch which looks like where someone tried to test it before. I stuck the test light probe in this opening & turned the key to *start. & got nothing. Does this mean that the ignition switch itself is possibly bad?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Just realized you have a '71. That is the same year ignition switch as my old Beetle. Your switch bottom should look like this... wires soldered to the bottom of the switch, no removeable plug for the '71-earlier ignition switches.

Your test lamp should turn ON when you touch the red wire (constant 12v) terminal at the center of the switch. When you turn the switch all the way to START the terminal for the red/black wire should show power as well. If the red wire has power but the red/black does not when the key is in the START position the switch is bad.

You really want to test the voltage level at the red/black wire. If the voltage is low it may still light the 12v test lamp but will be insufficient voltage to power the starter solenoid.
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Thanks Ashman. It’s a nasty day here today so I’m taking the day off from the project but I’ll report back my findings probably tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again.
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

Your test lamp should turn ON when you touch the red wire (constant 12v) terminal at the center of the switch. When you turn the switch all the way to START the terminal for the red/black wire should show power as well. If the red wire has power but the red/black does not when the key is in the START position the switch is bad.

I tested the red wire with the test light & it was hot. I then tested the red/black wire & when I turned the switch to start I got nothing so I’ve ordered a new switch.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Here are some suggestions which you can take or leave:
    1) Remove the old switch and disassemble it (be careful not to loose the springs and ball bearings). If it is an OE German made switch, consider cleaning the internal contacts, greasing with dielectric grease and reassembling it. The Germany switches had better internal contacts that will last years.

2) Regardless of whether you use the OE switch or a new aftermarket switch... consider adding a Bosch-type Hard Start Relay under the rear seat. The relay reduces the current that needs to flow thru the ignition switch contacts, prolonging the life of the switch. Without a HSR the aftermarket switch pictured above only lasted a couple years before it stopped working because the internal contacts had burnt.

3) While it may be tempting to cut and splice the ignition switch wires there under the dash at the steering column... don't do it. ID where the old ignition switch wires were connected and take the time to run your new switch wires thru the dash grommet into the trunk space and connect them correctly in place of the old wires. It is much cleaner looking and makes for a better electrical connection.

Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Here are some suggestions which you can take or leave:
    1) Remove the old switch and disassemble it (be careful not to loose the springs and ball bearings). If it is an OE German made switch, consider cleaning the internal contacts, greasing with dielectric grease and reassembling it. The Germany switches had better internal contacts that will last years.

2) Regardless of whether you use the OE switch or a new aftermarket switch... consider adding a Bosch-type Hard Start Relay under the rear seat. The relay reduces the current that needs to flow thru the ignition switch contacts, prolonging the life of the switch. Without a HSR the aftermarket switch pictured above only lasted a couple years before it stopped working because the internal contacts had burnt.

3) While it may be tempting to cut and splice the ignition switch wires there under the dash at the steering column... don't do it. ID where the old ignition switch wires were connected and take the time to run your new switch wires thru the dash grommet into the trunk space and connect them correctly in place of the old wires. It is much cleaner looking and makes for a better electrical connection.

Thanks again. I’m going to take your advice & do what you said with the old switch. The new one from West Coast Metric (I think) should be here Saturday but if I can get the old switch working I’ll have the new one as spare. As far as splicing the old wires is concerned, I’m too OCD for that. I’ll definately run the new switch wires into the trunk.
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Put in a new switch today & now the motor cranks with the key. The bad news is that now the turn signals don’t work. Any ideas?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Check the fuses!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Check the fuses!
The turn signal “ring” has power going to it according to the test light. The turn signals were working before moved it out of the way to get to the switch. The odd thing now is when I touch one of the contacts where a wire attaches to the back of the ring to the steering shaft (where the nut holds on the steering wheel) the horn blows.
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member With a Question (Electrical) Reply with quote

Do I even have the correct ring? Mine is pictured below & every other one I’ve seen on Google searches looks different for the ‘71.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: