Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese IDF copies
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

does anyone have any input on these carbs as far as reliability & fit & function? Easy Peasy has a video out saying the are built pretty well but need to be calibrated(throttle plates adjusted & jet sizes checked) but that the basic carb is decent. Just wanted some more opinions on this. $120.0 per carb vs. almost $400 is quite a difference but I also know the old saying "you get what you pay for".
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

If you want cheap shit then buy the cheap shit.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

I have roughly 500 miles on mine now. Im running a 1600DP , CW crank, Engle 110 and I had to jet down to 45's on the idles , and 125 (could stand to go to 120's) on the mains. I'm extremely happy with them for the price. in the long term we will see how they last , but right now they do what they are supposed to.
if you buy them you will need to completely go through them and clean them. while they seemed really clean there was some junk in my idle circuits. do your initial setup as described in the dual carbs thread and you'll be set. this being said I can tell you out of the box i have had to do similar to Holley xp carbs as well as edelbrocks to ensure they are good to go... NOTHING is ready to go out of the box

and for the snarky... yes you get what you pay for... but no reason to be a dick about it

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

vdubrookie,

Try searching on YOUTUBE for videos using "IDF Clones".

Lots of info and reviews.

Some of them may even be unbiased, unlike many on here. Wink

GOOD LUCK and STAY WELL!!

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

How many sets have you run Dave? What kind of problems did you encounter?

I built a nice big engine that is used in bad conditions, poor maintenance, lots of rough miles. I used china 40's on it. They have been flawless for over 40k miles.

I also built a nice little 1968cc bus engine. I used brand spankin' new genuine Spanish IDF Webers. They have been nothing but a problem. Dumb mystery problem that shouldn't be happening for the $$ spent on them.

I have probably used about 10 sets of China carbs now. Rarely an issue with them. Under $400 for new carbs, a full CB linkage kit with manifolds and good air filters is really hard to beat.

After that last set of new spanish webers, I will be using clones on everything....

Brian
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

It depends on which Chinese copies you’re talking about? I have a dual set of 44 HPMX’s on a car I put on maybe 10-12 years ago, and they’ve been great. The Chinese Weber’s that are assembled in the US have issues. I’m with Dave, and am not going to be the guinea pig for the $90 eBay IDF’s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

How many sets have you run Dave? What kind of problems did you encounter?

I built a nice big engine that is used in bad conditions, poor maintenance, lots of rough miles. I used china 40's on it. They have been flawless for over 40k miles.

I also built a nice little 1968cc bus engine. I used brand spankin' new genuine Spanish IDF Webers. They have been nothing but a problem. Dumb mystery problem that shouldn't be happening for the $$ spent on them.

I have probably used about 10 sets of China carbs now. Rarely an issue with them. Under $400 for new carbs, a full CB linkage kit with manifolds and good air filters is really hard to beat.

After that last set of new spanish webers, I will be using clones on everything....

Brian

Brian, which issues did you have with the spainish IDF Webers?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

I have been able to get them to work on several motors now.

No real issues. STandard re-jetting and tuning that is needed with any carb getting dialed in.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

I just ordered a pair of Maxspeed 48IDFs.
$245.

I will report my findings once I run the motor and get dialed in...
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

EVERY Weber needs work out of the box. Spanish or Chinese. That said, now we know what to look for, the quality IDf clones can be made about as good as their Italian fathers. There are still some sub quality copies out there. But in general it can be done.
Now we just need someone to step up and make some quality Dellorto´s Rolling Eyes - Ahh, well, I´m affraid that´s not gonna happen. The Weber copies won that battle Think
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

Agreed. I love Dells'

Hard to find thou...
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

Love Dells too. I have 2 working sets. 36 and 45's.

The funny thing about these China IDF threads is. That every time they come up.
Someone posts that they are cheap (Yep!) and not the best quality.

Even funnier is the fact that these same China IDF detractors. Often run HPMX carbs.
Gee, I wonder where those IDF clones were developed and manufactured?

China!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

For the idfs, there are 2 different large companies producing them. The Fajs and many others that have the original style roll pin in the accelerator pump arm through the throttle shaft are made in the Jilin China Factory. Some of worked well, and some have had issues.

The Carburators that have the flathead stainless screw in place of the roll pin in this spot such as below are made at the unrelated different business factory in Taizhou China. Lots of people have used these and worked well. I have ida's from this factory and they are beautiful. Both factories have many "names" or brands attached to them that mean very little. Similar to other stuff that looks similar, different brands, made in same factory type of deal.

The Stainless screw idf clue:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Inside of my ida's out of the box from this factory:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

I have run the 48mm FAJS Ebay carbs on my Road race Beetle. They ran OK at first, now they have been giving me problems with the throttle shafts binding up. Should have stuck with the Webers.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

JBBUGS wrote:

Quote:
they have been giving me problems with the throttle shafts binding up.

The very first thing that I did to my new dual EMPI 40 HPMXs, was replace the throttle shaft bearings IAW this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2pjieUpxfA&t=24

It is a 10-20 minute job and I HIGHLY recommend it!!

GOOD LUCK and STAY WELL!! Cool Cool

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

Jpaul, those look really nice.

Dare I say: Better than a Weber inside...

Never had a problem with throttle shaft bearings.. they do need oil you know..
All bearings need lube. No matter what brand...
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

Quote:
Now we just need someone to step up and make some quality Dellorto´s Rolling Eyes - Ahh, well, I´m affraid that´s not gonna happen. The Weber copies won that battle Think

I thought empi started selling chinese dells.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

stanthedog wrote:
Quote:

They do. And they suck!
They do work as great door stops though! Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
stanthedog wrote:
Quote:

They do. And they suck!
Shocked

Correct. The 36 version seem to work ok. The 40´s and 45´s, definitely not!
However, they - can - be made to work. I have learned that much. But I downright REFUSE to pay around 300 bucks a piece and then have to invest 3 hours and another 150 bucks in machining to get them right. The only reason i did it was because they were exactly that, expensive door stops.
It is such a pity. They (Empi) did actually adress a couple of weak spots in these carbs, but a the end of the day they sadly just f*cked something else up.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese IDF copies Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
stanthedog wrote:
Quote:

They do. And they suck!
Shocked

Correct. The 36 version seem to work ok. The 40´s and 45´s, definitely not!
However, they - can - be made to work. I have learned that much. But I downright REFUSE to pay around 300 bucks a piece and then have to invest 3 hours and another 150 bucks in machining to get them right. The only reason i did it was because they were exactly that, expensive door stops.
It is such a pity. They (Empi) did actually adress a couple of weak spots in these carbs, but a the end of the day they sadly just f*cked something else up.

Sounds like the demand for them also hasn't been great enough to justify Gen 2 or gen 3 versions to correct the problems either?

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: