Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Typ 82 Repro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Several years ago I came across this photo of an actual WWII captured Beetle eerily similar to our dressed up ' 50 which unfortunately damaged in a towing accident on the way to an airshow in 2008. It has since been repaired but is not yet back on the road.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The photo of our Aeronca L-3c is a cover shot from 1991, but the airplane still looks pretty much the same except for some wear and tear from 30 years of touring the warbird circuit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Well, Cooker's VW Restorations has been working on my project for several weeks now and done more than Acme Car Company did in two years ! Their work is first class and I'm finally able to believe the body and paint will be done before I have a chance to finish the chassis. I don't think there is any vehicle project in any condition that they aren't capable of bringing back to near perfect condition. My '55 donor Sunroof was in pretty desperate condition from rust, roof damage and previous attempts at body repair. Their website shows detailed progress of all their projects from beginning to end.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Looks amazing Gene. Betting you are thrilled!
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Thanks, I haven't been this happy since the day I was born ! I'm probably not going to have the chassis ready by the time they finish the paint . Gene
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Just got the word from Cooker's that the metal work in DONE ! Next stop the sand blaster ( again ) and then the body work and paint. No further pictures yet, but they are pretty good about posting progress, so I'll up date photos when I get them.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

That looks great!!!!

Why did they remove the exterior rear window area? Rust is what I assume it to be?

Looks great!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
That looks great!!!!

Why did they remove the exterior rear window area? Rust is what I assume it to be?

Looks great!

In a pict above you see it was converted to an oval window ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Jim & Peter, The donor car is a '55 11G. Conversion to a Typ 87 / 92 Split Window involved replacing all the Oval window details. Some additional rust repairs were found to be needed in areas not normally rusted such as the top of the A pillars. Thanks for your interest, it helps motivate me to get the chassis mods done. Gene
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

I TOTALLY MISSED THAT!!!!

That just amazes me, when I miss the obvious stuff!!!! Wish I had a better response, besides pure stupidity!

Sorry for interrupting, carry on!

Oh, thanks for pointing the obvious stuff out! Laughing

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Jimbo,

Please, no apology, I have a lot of mileage to go to catch up to you !

Remember, you walked me through how to post photos, which at the time was well above my pay grade !

Gene
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
Jimbo,

Please, no apology, I have a lot of mileage to go to catch up to you !

Remember, you walked me through how to post photos, which at the time was well above my pay grade !

Gene

I do remember! It is all good! We are all just having fun - right?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

As an aside, yesterday I managed, after about 9 months of trying, to get the registration TYP 82E here in the UK from the people who manage such things. It might not seem a big deal in the US from what I understand, as you can chose the registration you want, providing nobody else has it.

Here we had to request that the registration be released, as it, and that series in particular has never been released before. Even then, it goes to public auction, and you have to compete against others who want it. Luckily from me, there was only one other person after it.

I was wrongly informed that I would be able to put it on the Kubel, as it came into the UK in 1990, and this is a 1967 related number, but it turns out that the date of manufacture or 1st registration applies. TYP 82 has been previously released and sold, but not on any vehicle yet, which is a shame.

Last edited by Martin Southwell on Wed May 19, 2021 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

have you tried KDF 82 ?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

No, but I have tried TYP 82, and that is taken. I'm told it's not on a vehicle, but on a retention certificate. Shame, as it would look better on a Kubel than not being used. I do have another registration in mind, and DVLA have said they will look into releasing that at some stage in the future, and then let me know. Obviously I'm not saying what that is yet, but happy to get TYP 82E.

I know the person who has 1 KDF on his 51 Beetle, and he paid £30K for that number 10+ years ago. Maybe 43 KDF would be worth trying to find, but registration numbers in the UK are expensive these days, and could I justify it to myself for something that sits in the garage 360 days a year?
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Bob's work is really good!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:

I know the person who has 1 KDF on his 51 Beetle, and he paid £30K for that number 10+ years ago.

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Latest update from Cooker's Restoration on the Typ 87 / 92 repro. Just back from the sand blaster and doesn't look like any great surprises , on to the body work next. Still hard to believe how fast things are progressing after such a disappointment over the last two and a half years. Has motivated me to start the chassis mods to hopefully get it done in time to mount the body.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Hey Gene! Looking great! I am hoping the 54 gets to the blasters in a few months. That’s a milestone right there!

You asked on Neil’s thread about pulling the gear reduction bearing. Do you have any pictures? It would make it easier to help with.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

Jimbo, Taking a page out of Neil's book, I tried to think how you guys would approach the problem and came up with a more thoughtful plan. My old reliable US 241a 4-leg wheel bearing puller had a broken leg, so I scavenged through my old used tool stash and found an open end wrench about the right length and cut and ground a new prosthetic leg. It works just fine and also fits the spindle seal collar. Thanks for the encouragement and hope your '54 survives the sand blaster without any further areas of unknown deficiencies.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 82 Repro Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
Jimbo, Taking a page out of Neil's book, I tried to think how you guys would approach the problem and came up with a more thoughtful plan. My old reliable US 241a 4-leg wheel bearing puller had a broken leg, so I scavenged through my old used tool stash and found an open end wrench about the right length and cut and ground a new prosthetic leg. It works just fine and also fits the spindle seal collar. Thanks for the encouragement and hope your '54 survives the sand blaster without any further areas of unknown deficiencies.

Glad you got it!

And yes, I agree, I am hoping when the sand hits the steel, it stays as steel, as opposed to, POOF! Although that would be a better story!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: