Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

For past 20-30 years I have always used Gasgacinch to seal my case halves up with great results. The past year or so I have done two stock 1600s. Used two different, new cans of Gasgacinch. I dunno if they changed the formula or what but it has been very VERY runny compared to what it was in the past decades. I used it anyway and both of these engines are now weeping from the case seam Mad Mad

I am done with Gasgacinch and looking to use try a new product. Had some Hylomar at the shop (which some folks recommend) and I did not like the consistency and fact it never dried at all. I have had one of the better engine builders I know recommend Hondabond/Yamabond and was leaning towards trying that says it dries but stays flexible.

Looking for some comments or opinions on what is out there currently.

Thanks
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

I recommend Hylomar or Loktite 515. I use both of these in the aviation industry and both are top quality products. I would lean towards the 515 for the engine case halves.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

I’ve used Gasgasinch, Hylomar, Aviation Permatex, Loctite 515 (and other #), Ford water pump, silk, etc...etc... I’ve been at this since 1966, Porsche, VW, British MC, plus water pumpers (gave them up 30 years ago). Back in those days, EVERYTHING leaked oil. When we were kids, we had to be careful riding our bikes across a parking lot. It finally occurred to me in the ‘80’s that everything coming from Japan DID NOT LEAK AT ALL!
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
I’ve used Gasgasinch, Hylomar, Aviation Permatex, Loctite 515 (and other #), Ford water pump, silk, etc...etc... I’ve been at this since 1966, Porsche, VW, British MC, plus water pumpers (gave them up 30 years ago). Back in those days, EVERYTHING leaked oil. When we were kids, we had to be careful riding our bikes across a parking lot. It finally occurred to me in the ‘80’s that everything coming from Japan DID NOT LEAK AT ALL!

Hmm must be the Yamabond and the Hondabond huh? Laughing
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

Yes, or equivalent ThreeBond 1184
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

25 years ago I was introduced to Loctite 574 for sealing 356 and 911 engines by my mentor at Stoddard in Cleveland.

No leaks in the last 17 years on my type 4 and beetle engines. Good stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

Yep, 574 is good stuff. I have that and Curil T. I have the Threebond too as well as the Hylomar.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

++ all those, yes! None is the perfect solution for ALL applications. VW, 356, 911, call for specific solutions. This will come from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. Now, experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test, then the lesson Shocked
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Yes, or equivalent ThreeBond 1184

I have been using the threebond for 6 or 7 years, and I'm very happy with it. It is easy to spread very thin, and when doing so it stays tacky for long enough that you don't have to rush assembling the case halves. It's adhesion to mag and aluminum is excellent, and tear strength is pretty high. Was told that the Hondabond and Yamabond were made by the same company, but no idea if it's true.
FWIW, there are a dozen different formulas, the 1184 is what I decided on and have been using. Nice stuff
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

Yes, I am seeing different formulas. Went to order some Hondabond and saw there is Hondabond 4 and Hondabond HT....not sure what each was for so held off for now. Anyone?
Samba Member #95
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:
Yes, I am seeing different formulas. Went to order some Hondabond and saw there is Hondabond 4 and Hondabond HT....not sure what each was for so held off for now. Anyone?

It's the Threebond #1184 that you want
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
bastardbus wrote:

It's the Threebond #1184 that you want

YES that stuff works so dang well. however getting it back off once its dried is a PITA.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

Curil K-2
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

Went to purchase some additional Curil K2. Argh! Discontinued! Can not be found/purchased.

Curil T can still be found/purchased; but is not longer listed on the elring web site. And there are mixed reviews here on TheSamba about results using the "T" product.

Elring now lists only two sealing compound products: Curil T2 and Dirko HT.
The Curil T2 spec sheet says "Polyurethane" based, and "contains no solvents".

Any comments? Any one used the "T2" product?

https://www.elring.com/en/products/sealing-compounds/

Note: the Dirko product is listed as "Oxime silicone".
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

I've been using DIRKO by Elring for many years now with great results! I've compared it to
Hondabond and they have the same consistency. Here's the link that also sells Curil T.

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/11947203-EK-00198961...t4EALw_wcB

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com

Last edited by Mr. Okrasa on Mon May 31, 2021 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Case half Sealants what are you currently using? Reply with quote

Uh-oh, I'd better find some old stock...thanks for the heads up!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: