Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocker issue for a purchase project
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Rocker issue for a purchase project Reply with quote

Hello

I am going to purchase a Swedish Oval which has been renovated few years ago.

Every thing seems correct, except passenger top rocker (second view is driver side) :

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

according to the seller, this is the only weakness of the car and the rust inside has been chemically stopped.
But it scares me enough, I fear that it hides other problems
I saw that WW offers a piece of replacement metal ...

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111801042CX

your informed opinions will be very useful to me!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker issue for a purchase project Reply with quote

If I am seeing that correctly it looks like it is the hold down strip for the carpet. If the rest of the channel is sound with just surface rust then you might be OK however that big hole isn't supposed to be there and will let water directly into the channel. I would inspect, or get someone who knows what they are doing to inspect every inch of that car before even considering what to offer.

More pictures would be helpful. Pictures with the carpet pulled back completely would be useful.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker issue for a purchase project Reply with quote

thank you Chris

Here is the only view I can provide, duringpaint job. We can see passenger top rocker / heater channel. We see the hold down strip for the carpet, with damages.

but heater channel seems correct.

The car is in sweden, around 2.000 km from me :-/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker issue for a purchase project Reply with quote

Here is an other view of the passenger heater Channel during paint job :

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker issue for a purchase project Reply with quote

If the heater channel is in good shape - i.e. no rust, that retainer piece can be replaced with several plug welds. But the heater channel HAS to be in good shape!

The only way to know for sure is to drill out the spot welds with a 3/16" drill bit and then chisel of the retainer. If the channel is still retaining it's shape, take the new retainer and drill it out for plug welds matching the old holes exactly. Then weld it into place. Grind those down. Prime and shoot some touch up paint!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker issue for a purchase project Reply with quote

From the photos provided car looks fine, get on yor back. And look at bottom of car, check for rust there between running boards and frame rails...what your looking at is carpet holddown..
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker issue for a purchase project Reply with quote

The holes are probably where he shot the chemical in. Looks like a few rust holes all the way through. Most have been something holding moisture on top for some time. They usually rust from the bottom up.
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker issue for a purchase project Reply with quote

Thank you for explanations
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker issue for a purchase project Reply with quote

why on earth would you go through the effort to paint the car (expensive!) when those carpet clip strips look like crap? Replacing those strips would have been an easy fix before putting paint on. After paint has been sprayed on, you don't want to damage the paint when grinding/welding.... hence a more tedious job then.

If it were me I would inspect that car very thoroughly. Could very well be a nice car with nothing else wrong (the pictures of the car in primer look ok), but better safe than sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: