Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No power coming out of voltage regulator
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billymays12345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

I have replaced the voltage regulator and checked all of the wiring and I have no power coming out of the regulator. I polarized the generator and the car does turn over but cant check for spark or anything with no power coming out of the regulator. Any help would be great!

Thanks Billy Mays
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

First off, the car doesn't need a working generator in order to check for spark, only a good battery.

Second off, since your statement about checking for spark implies the engine currently doesn't run, it's pointless to check for voltge coming out of the regulator seeing as how the generator is incapable of producing high enough voltage to trigger the cut-in function of the regulator unless it's spun at least somewhere in the 1100rpm range, ie, the engine must be running first.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

Billy, is there another problem you are chasing, or is the VR the issue? Where are you at?
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billymays12345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
Billy, is there another problem you are chasing, or is the VR the issue? Where are you at?

I ordered a new starter because the engine wasnt turning over fast enough
Thanks

Billy Mays
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

Maybe something in the air as having the same: no voltage out of and into the fuse terminals.

With no power, there will be no start especially with FI.

Was a solution found?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

Here is Speedy Jim’s page on testing the generator charging system:
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm

Follow all the steps to troubleshoot. It confirms the voltage output from the VR and the output of the generator at max output. If the generator is able to produce 30v+ then it is likely good and you should suspect the problem is with the VR as it is not managing this generator output to proper levels.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Here is Speedy Jim’s page on testing the generator charging system:
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm

Follow all the steps to troubleshoot. It confirms the voltage output from the VR and the output of the generator at max output. If the generator is able to produce 30v+ then it is likely good and you should suspect the problem is with the VR as it is not managing this generator output to proper levels.

Thank you for the help, appreciated. Very Happy

Since I clearly stated the engine is not running, I am confused. Is the suggestion to use a drill to spin the generator? How will this fix the regulator?

In my case, the generator would have to be removed to gain access being a Type 3 (we are instructed to search and use a previous thread if one), that's why not going out there and trying the advice.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Since I clearly stated the engine is not running, I am confused. Is the suggestion to use a drill to spin the generator? How will this fix the regulator?

Hmm, I thought you said the starter was bad, "because the engine wasnt turning over fast enough"? That doesn't specifically mean the engine won't run. You still have the option of pushing the car and kick starting the engine to start it. I don't believe you clearly mentioned your engine not running at all??

Adriel Rowley wrote:
In my case, the generator would have to be removed to gain access being a Type 3 (we are instructed to search and use a previous thread if one), that's why not going out there and trying the advice.

Not sure why you are posting in the Beetle forum if you have a T3 engine/car?? I don't know how difficult it is to remove a T3 generator, but the generator and VR function the same so the testing is the same.

Since your engine is not running, check w/ your FLAPS. See if they have the means to test your generator on their bench tester. Bring the VR along as well. I think some of the bench units can test the VR as well. This will at least confirm your generator is functional.
The other option is to wait until you can start your engine. Then test the generator at max output to confirm it is good, or not. If your engine is not running, you don't immediately need a working charging system.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

I'm guessing..........he needs spark at the plugs.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
I'm guessing..........he needs spark at the plugs.

As mukluk pointed out above, a good battery will provide enough power to crank the engine and get a spark from the ignition coil. This will get the engine running. From that point on you begin draining the charge from the battery. Normally the charging system will replace this charge. But lots of folks have driven around with a bad charging system running on just battery power alone. If your drives are short, you can return home and place the battery on a charger in preparation for you next drive. Keep your drives to daytime… the headlights will quickly drain the battery to the point where you won’t be able to start the engine. It takes very little current from the battery to run the engine (ignition coil). The starter and headlights are your biggest opponent when your charging system is not working. At the point where you battery is so drained that it can no longer crank the engine… push start your Beetle and drive home to recharge the battery. Very Happy

Note: repeated deep draining and charging your battery will eventually kill it… unless you have a “deep discharge” battery (yellow Optima battery). But if you are not in a position to fix your charging system it is an option.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

Okay, that is interesting Type 1s get voltage strait from the battery without going through the regulator where the Type 3 obtains all voltage through the regulator. Meaning, when the regulator fails, a Type 3 is unable to start, where a Type 1 is able.

If I had known this, of course then limit the search to the Type 3 forum.

So then the obvious temporary solution is to jump from B+ to the applicable fuse terminal.

By the way, the points were mildly corroded, though sanding with 1000 grit made no difference.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

Voltage from the battery to the light switch and fuse block doesn't go through the voltage regulator on either Type, battery voltage goes to it. There is a power wire running from the battery to the voltage regulator (also attached to the starter along the way on earlier models), and there is another wire running from the voltage regulator up to the fuse block, light switch, etc. -- but they both attach to a common or piggybacked terminal on the voltage regulator. This common or piggyback terminal effectively acts the same as if you connected those two power wires directly together, so when the engine is not running you should have battery power passing straight on from the battery to the front of the car.

The voltage regulator serves no control or gateway function for power getting from the battery to the rest of the car, its purpose is to regulate the power coming only from the generator. When the engine is running and the generator is producing power above the VR's cut in voltage, the VR will connect the generator output to the common/piggyback terminal I mentioned earlier, thus taking over the duty of powering the car and also serving to charge the battery.

If you find you have battery power getting to the VR but not to the front of the car, you have either a wire break or bad connection in the wire going to the front of the car.
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

speaking of regulators......if you were starting from a shell of a type1 (like I am) and not concerned one iota about originality (Top has been chopped by previous owner) how do you know if you Need a regulator?

I got quoted over $3K for professional help so learning as I go.

Simply rev the engine and measure gen output?

Sorry if a tad OT
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: No power coming out of voltage regulator Reply with quote

NachoCar wrote:
speaking of regulators......if you were starting from a shell of a type1 (like I am) and not concerned one iota about originality (Top has been chopped by previous owner) how do you know if you Need a regulator?

I got quoted over $3K for professional help so learning as I go.

Simply rev the engine and measure gen output?

Sorry if a tad OT

You need a voltage regulator for any engine that has a charging system. Without a regulator the charging system voltage output would vary over a large range in response to engine rpm, producing voltage high enough to damage the battery and electrical components of the car. An external regulator is needed for generators and externally-regulated alternators, while internally regulated alternators come with a regulator located inside their case.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/83.cfm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: