Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 SB no spark
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

Back again...

I’ve been chasing this issue for a few months dealing with intermittent starting issues. Replaced the idle solenoid, accelerator pump, plugs and wires, removed the aftermarket digital ignition with a Bosch coil, adjusted the valves, etc.
it started two days ago reluctantly after finally jumping it with my other car. Tonight it started without jumping and drove fine but wouldn’t start after sitting for three hours. Tried and tried but it seems I’m not getting a spark. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the ignition switch? Not sure where else to go with this...I’m ready to put a for sale sign on it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

You can bypass the ignition switch to test. Sounds like it may be going bad.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

Are your battery posts clear of corrosion? Ground strap on clean metal, etc?
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

Brand new battery, battery cables and ground, yes. Thanks!
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

Started today within seconds of being jumped by my other car. Symptomatic of a failing ignition switch?
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

Old battery with weak cells. Check alternator output next time you jump it off
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

Brand new battery
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

Run a jumper wire from battery + to coil + and start it (remove jumper to stop it), this will tell you if it's the switch.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

Do I need to disconnect anything from the coil to do this?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
Do I need to disconnect anything from the coil to do this?

Nope just use an alligator clip. When my switch went bad I put a toggle switch in the area below the front of rear seat and ran the wire with wire connectors and used that with my old switch until I changed the electrical part.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

Thanks, I think Ashman may have made this suggestion or something similar in another thread.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
Thanks, I think Ashman may have made this suggestion or something similar in another thread.

Not sure about that but he is the electrical ghiru
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

From your descriptions I take it the ignition switch will get the engine cranking without any problem, but for some reason it appears there is no spark reaching the cylinders?

Start by testing the voltage at the ignition coil #15 (+) terminal. Test with the ignition switch in the ON/RUN position. Then test while the key is in the START position (might need a buddy for this test). Not uncommon for the ignition switch to work while in the ON/RUN position but not provide current WHILE in the START position. All your testing while standing behind the engine will not help since it is only an issue while the key is in the START position.
A similar issue is when the voltage is fine while in the ON/RUN position but the voltage drops while the starter is cranking the engine. If the voltage at the ignition coil drops below 10.0v the coil could stop firing. If you have an electronic ignition and the voltage drops below 11.0v the module may stop working.
Test and report back the voltage at the coil when the key is in both positions.

Also test the voltage at the battery terminals when it is at rest, while the ignition switch is ON and while the starter is cranking the engine. The starter is the #1 larger current drain on the battery. While it is cranking the engine most of the battery’s current is being pulled thru the battery cable to the starter motor. The voltage of almost every other device on the car will drop while the starter motor is cranking the engine. Report back the voltage reading at these three states.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

I'm good at auto electrical, but I typically do not post often about that, I wait for Ashman to reply, as he is more patient with folks.

And - to be blunt - Ashman does a better job of this all than I do.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

try viewing this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiEzQktOPP4&t=1394s
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

Bypassed the ignition switch this morning as mentioned above and it started right up! Hoping the ignition switch was the problem all along.

Appreciate all the patience and support!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

It was!

These cars are famous for bad switches! I have replaced thousands of them!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 73 SB no spark Reply with quote

I’ve been hunting this ghost for 3 months Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: