Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper motor burn out 1972 1200 standard
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Wiper motor burn out 1972 1200 standard Reply with quote

My bug has type of motor that seems very hard to find a replacement here in Ireland,I tried fitting a 1973 motor but the shape is different and it just wont fit-a pity as they are cheap and easy to get.My one has SWF stamped on a silver,kinda rectangular box with rounded corners not the common bean-can shape.Help-is it the type used on earlier bugs like late 60,s?The electric has a lot of contacts for about 6 wires.
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
should be something similar to this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but 12 Volts, right? This is the earlier form used for 6 Volts cars, the European Economy ("Standard" - this means something different in he US) Beetles kept them whereas all other models from 1967 on had the ton-like shaped wiper motors. I am afraid you will have to search on swap meets or private resources. But please check first if the motor is really burnt out - These motors can take an amazing lot of punishment, even if they get hot and stuck (often because of stuck bearings of the wiper mechanic) they work again without problems when they are cold again. Maybe you can save your motor? Good luck.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just swapping out the entire wiper assembly, including the linkages and pitvots, to the later tin o' beans style?
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrading to the newer version with two speed wipers won´t be easy and need some welding because the necessary fixing points are missing on the economy versions...

Last edited by alex857 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said "The electric has a lot of contacts for about 6 wires" - there shouldn't be that sort of setup on a 1200 model.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: wiper motor burned out Reply with quote

How about just swapping out the entire wiper assembly, including the linkages and pitvots, to the later tin o' beans style?
Because sadly it wont fit,I tried and there was not enough space for it,I think the distance between the two wiper spindles is different,shorter than with the later models.

My wiper motor has one slow speed and is self-parking,thats why it has more wires to connect than the older 6-volt models as far as I know.
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor burn out 1972 1200 standard Reply with quote

If you are still messing with this wiper motor I have a 1972 Super Beetle that turns 49 years of age on May 12th. It has the two speed motor with self-park and it has 4 wires. My car was made for the German market and came to the USA in 2015. I bought it in 2019 just before it's birthday and discovered that it was in storage in Germany from 1974-5 to 2012 so it has the equivalent of only 33,140 miles on the odometer. It appears to be wearing it's original paint. It also has European H4 headlights with the parking light under the headlight bulb and going through the reflector. The front fender light is only a directional light; only comes on with the directional lights.
I will take some pictures of the linkage with the motor mounted and I will supply the measurement for the center-to-center of the wiper posts. The picture of your motor looks like a 6V motor that may have been converted to 12V. Here in the USA you can find the 12V armatures to turn the 6V motor into a 12V motor. I wonder if that is what you have?

My mother's grandmother came from Galway back in the mid-1800s and settled in the state of New Jersey across from New York Harbor. One of her daughters was my mother's mother or my grandmother born around 1895.

Email me on TheSamba if you want the pictures and dimensions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: