Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 4" Narrowed Beam Question - Grease Fitting Issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: 1966 4" Narrowed Beam Question - Grease Fitting Issue Reply with quote

I'm telling on myself a little here, but I've searched and oddly enough, haven't been able to find anything addressing this issue.

I narrowed my '66 beam from the center with adjusters, and kept the factory needle bearings which were in good shape. I've had the chassis assembled with the steering box and tie-rods attached for quite some time now. I'm in the process of tidying up the last few details before putting the body back on the chassis for hopefully the last time. I installed the zerk fittings in the front beam last night and filled up the beam with Mobil 1 Synthetic grease. However, it just occurred to me that the left top zerk fitting (driver's perspective) is now right in the way of the steering box. I loosened the box and moved it just slightly out of the way to install the zerk and get the beam lubed up. It's so close, it looks like just removing a tad bit of metal from the box would get it. But I really don't want to do that because it's very near the mounting bolt hole and threads. It is possible too that my steering box is not quite where it should or will be once I actually get the body on and steering wheel installed. I may find that I'm asking this question a little too early.

Nevertheless, there are a lot of modified stock 4" beams running out there. I guess my question is.....what is everyone else doing? I can move outside just 1" or so and drill/re-tap for the zerk and still be between the micarta bushing and needle bearing which is the important thing. But I'd have to disassemble the front end and remove the torsion pack to do it correctly (I guess, unless someone has any better ideas).

Again, I searched and didn't find anything on the subject. Just curious what you guys/gals think or have run into yourselves.

Thank!

Moto

'66 Sedan Project - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410718

R.I.P. - Mikayla. I miss you Baby girl.
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I narrowed my stock '62 beam and don't remember having these issues....
This is when I was fitting mine, steering box wasn't on yet, though.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Culito! I guess you would remember if the steering box contacted the zerk fitting. Although I gotta admit, even looking at your picture there, it looks like it would be right in the way!!

I think I know why you didn't have the problem though. L/P beams are different. I just narrowed a buddy's L/P beam. I just went out to the shop and measured his beam and the L/P zerks are located almost exactly 1" in from the shock tower on-center, whereas the ball-joint zerks are located 2 1/4" in from the shock tower. Boo-yah....I'm screwed. Confused

If I were a betting man, I'd say they're either getting left out or plugged on a lot of these 4" stock B/J beams running out there. There seems to be a lot of that kinda half-ass stuff running out there. Either that or I'm just too anal. Surprised I couldn't find more threads about this. Or maybe I just f'ed something up and just don't see it yet Laughing

Moto

Culito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338179
Late model forum!
There are a few mentions of grease fitting clearance.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, poop. Didn't even think about searching there. Late models are dead to me. I'll take a look. Thank you!!

Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I read through the entire thread. Only one guy mentioned the steering box interference with the grease zerk. I find that odd. Maybe it's just me who's odd. Smile

I've asked Glenn if we could add this late-model Sticky to the early model Sticky's with the stipulation of 1966-67 only or something like that. I know there are some specific concerns for narrowing L/P beams and I don't know if it's possible to combine the two without causing a lot of confusion. But, it seems weird to go to the late-model forum to discuss an issue relevant to the earlies as well. Plus, I'm thinking having the Sticky might generate some discussion on the topic.

We'll see, I guess. Unless I read something that radically changes my mind, I will remove the zerk and plug it with a shallow plug. I will loosen the steering box and install the zerk for servicing that part of the beam when it comes around. Since this will not be a daily and will likely never see anything but sunshine and blue skies, that shouldn't be too often. I don't know what else to do.

Moto

F_Pantos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 4" Narrowed Beam Question - Grease Fitting Issue Reply with quote

I also have this problem on a narrowed beam Sad

The box is just where the Zerk wants to be.

Is there any easy way to move the box over so I can insert a Zerk fitting and grease the beam?

Can I just loosen the bolts? Any gotchas?

Or, there's a Zerk on the top of the beam I can access thru the inspection hatch, can I just block the lower one and push grease in that way? The PO saw fit not to seal off the lower hole and at present the grease just flows out of the lower hole rather than the end of the beam Sad

Many thanks.
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 4" Narrowed Beam Question - Grease Fitting Issue Reply with quote

You know, it’s been ages since I did this. And I can’t remember what I ended up doing, etc. But just rereading all this, I don’t for the life of me know why I didn’t just weld or plug up the original zerk fitting hole and drill and tap a new one elsewhere?!?! Seems like a logical solution. But I was 9 years younger then, LOL! Or, I’m 9 years older now. I’m much more into working smarter, not harder. Good luck!

Moto

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: