Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Optimistic farm find
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:
Damn! Didnt even notice the wheel arches. I wouldnt want those like that. Thats the kind of heads up i was hoping for. Thanks

Relatively easy to fix.

Yeah, that's the least of the problems.
And somebody posted above that body panels were cheap.
I beg to differ. It's great that almost all the metal is being reproduced, but cheap it ain't.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
peecee69 wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:
Damn! Didnt even notice the wheel arches. I wouldnt want those like that. Thats the kind of heads up i was hoping for. Thanks

Relatively easy to fix.

Yeah, that's the least of the problems.
And somebody posted above that body panels were cheap.
I beg to differ. It's great that almost all the metal is being reproduced, but cheap it ain't.

So true. Although I have noticed that some of the reproduced parts are cheaper as "regular" metal that can be bent into the correct shapes. I've even bought a bunch of metal working hammers, a brake, and a mill to make some of my own parts rather than buy them.

I've probably spent more on tools than I would have on metal, but I still have the tools now. lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Ha! You didn’t tell me this! I remember looking at the pics of this a few years ago it my house. Hope you can get it!
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

The split is a bust. Closer look revealed that the front drivers side was caved in. Nose,pillar,door,floor, all gone. Alot of other rust and rot throughout. Not even worthy of asking for. Will be loading the 72 tintop instead.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, hopefully your friend was at least open to talking price or something. Thanks for sharing the story though!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

You’ll get it. I’ve seen you in action, don’t forget

Laughing

See you this fall.
Gerald dupraux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Hi,
Maybe for sale ?
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

No, there was no money involved. This is a great old friend who would have given it to me if i asked. I didnt want to ask cause I dont have the time it would have taken to restore. Ive already got two project bays to get through right now.

If, in a couple years, im ready for this one, or any of the others he has, then maybe I ask. I wasnt interested in it for whatever value it might have, just for the opportunity to fix it up, and its more time then I can devote right now.

Thanks for the advice and info. Maybe some day I come back on this page with a project. Im off to the bay window pages again.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: