Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it worth it: Long time sitting engine: Replace oil cooler?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Is it worth it: Long time sitting engine: Replace oil cooler? Reply with quote

Soooo... Have jumped back into air cooled world after decades of Watercooled VWs.
Purchased a 64 type 3 that is a barn find. (Will post pics in next submission.) Right now lining up parts list for basic engine startup process. I have the usual grocery list. (Carb kit, plugs, wires, sensor,etc) But there is one item I have some indecision. Oil Cooler. Since the Type III uses horizontal rather than vertical like I had been used to. Should I add it to my immediate grocery replacement list. Or make it a next when I replace the clutch?
Inquiring minds want to know...
Thanks in advance

Ossipon
Past: 59,62,63, 71 Type I 59 Single Cab, 68 Karmann Ghia,
81,84,88,91,98,05 Jetta, 84 GTI, 02 T3
Current: 2018 Tiguan, 2013 Jetta Wagon, 64 Notch. Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it: Long time sitting engine: Replace oil cooler? Reply with quote

Not sure how long the car sat in the barn. Our Squareback came from under pine trees. I would start at one end of the car and work my way to the other end going through every system on the car. Like how are the rubber brake lines, and wheel cylinders etc. Personally remove the engine tear it down to a long block, replace rings clean the oil cooler etc.
Took my time about getting the car on the road. Here is my find as found.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My oil cooler before and after cleaning.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it: Long time sitting engine: Replace oil cooler? Reply with quote

You'll probably want to take it out to clean and pressure test it, and definitely replace the cooler-to-case seals; but I've found the coolers themselves to be pretty robust, and rarely needing to be replaced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it: Long time sitting engine: Replace oil cooler? Reply with quote

FWIW,

Anytime i have a car that's new to me,
The motor comes out for a cleaning,
And especially to check that some PO didn't take off tin during previous work.

It's been so many years and so much water under the bridge,
That you're going to want to give everything a once-over before you try and run it and trust it.

Pretty much every gas station or DIY mechanic BITD decided things like thermostats and linkage weren't needed and left them off.

Along with any other random pieces they didn't understand or remember where it went..

While coolers are tough and easy to pressure-test,
There could be shrapnel in there from a previous failure blocking flow,
And you would never know it..

Long story short is you cannot assume anything almost 60 years later.

You'll want to at least inspect pretty much everything that matters.

What’s That Noise?!?
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it: Long time sitting engine: Replace oil cooler? Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
You'll probably want to take it out to clean and pressure test it, and definitely replace the cooler-to-case seals; but I've found the coolers themselves to be pretty robust, and rarely needing to be replaced.

That was my experience from my Type 1 and Single Cab. Even old (Pre-63) coolers were strong. Thanks for the idea of pressure check. That totally makes sense.
Current plan is to mimic what I did on my 59 single cab. (BOY, did I make a mistake in selling it). Start on the Drive Train (including fuel tank) and Electricals, Then Brakes and suspension, then Body (Rubber, Rust, and such. Finally the interior. I plan to go stock as much as possible. All the numbers match and even have lots of original owner docs in the glove compartment (Not in great shape, but original).
I see this as an ongoing task for the next few years. Not planning for anything more than an 80-85 point restore. Not planning for Car show quality, just my personal best effort.
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it: Long time sitting engine: Replace oil cooler? Reply with quote

Post pics!

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: