Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towing with a tow bar
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

My buggy came with a tow bar that attaches to the front beam. Do you need to lock the steering or leave it free. I assume free, and it would follow behind better, but is there a reason it wouldn't veer left or right if the steering isn't locked? I could wire it to a 4 pin plug into the buggy harness to extend the lights from the towing vehicle. I need to tow it about 15km @ 80KM/H, roughly 10miles at 50mph.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

For flat towing:

Towing with wheels on ground:
1. Steering unlocked (no bungee)
2. Key off
3. Parking brake off
4. Windows up
5. Transaxle in neutral
6. For long interstate hauls, disconnect speedometer cable to avoid accumulating lots of km's
7. Safety chains
8. Towing lights
9. Check wheels for heat periodically (make sure all bearings are greased)

I wired my 72 sedan for towing lamps and used a 4 pin/5 wire connector harness:
Yellow/Brown - Fuse 1 Right run lamp
Green/Brown - Fuse 2 Left run lamp
Green - Right turn (black/green junction)
Yellow - Left turn (black/white junction)
White - Ground

Brake lights will activate the front turn signals, which can be handy to ensure you're hooked up, with a quick glance in the mirror.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

Matt Wilson wrote:
For flat towing:

Towing with wheels on ground:
1. Steering unlocked (no bungee)
2. Key off
3. Parking brake off
4. Windows up
5. Transaxle in neutral
6. For long interstate hauls, disconnect speedometer cable to avoid accumulating lots of km's
7. Safety chains
8. Towing lights
9. Check wheels for heat periodically (make sure all bearings are greased)

I wired my 72 sedan for towing lamps and used a 4 pin/5 wire connector harness:
Yellow/Brown - Fuse 1 Right run lamp
Green/Brown - Fuse 2 Left run lamp
Green - Right turn (black/green junction)
Yellow - Left turn (black/white junction)
White - Ground

Brake lights will activate the front turn signals, which can be handy to ensure you're hooked up, with a quick glance in the mirror.

Yes.... But wire colors will vary according to how you wire vehicle...

I also used isolation diodes so I could umbilical into existing buggy tail lights...

And do not get in situation where you have to backup...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

Do as said above and you should be fine. I’ve done 1000s of miles on the highway without issue.

Pay special attention to the don’t back up rule.

AMAC
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

Free is the correct way. My sand rail and Manx copy are both flat tow set up. I too have towed several thousand miles. This sand rail has gone on trips as far as 800 miles one way to play in the Peace River hills. I also change out the wheels and tires to street rubber so as not to wear out the off road ones.

Additional caution, if you anticipate any gravel road driving or early spring driving with some winter sand still on the road, duct tape cardboard over the headlights and windshield. I lost both headlights flat towing my sister's type 3 on 1/2 mile of gravel road!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

If the car drives straight when you take your hands off the wheel, and if the steering straightens out by itself after a turn, it should tow just fine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, it makes all makes perfect sense
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

Key turned forward enough only to release the steering wheel lock.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

Dan the workingstiff wrote:
Key turned forward enough only to release the steering wheel lock.

What steering lock?

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

Yes any steering column from about '70 or '71 Beetle and up will have a steering lock. Mine does. Turn the key on, then turn it back to off and leave the key in place and you are fine. The column will not lock until you take the key out.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

I always disconnected the battery and turned the ignition to the fart position when towing with a steering wheel lock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

Harbor Freight magnet towing lights are always helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
Harbor Freight magnet towing lights are always helpful.

Not real good with fiberglass....

Just two taillamp assemblies on 4 foot length of angle iron and bungie cords worked really well with fiberglass if you don't want to umbilic to existing tail lights...

Dale

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

I've flat towed a buggy many miles myself. The thing I wanted to add is that you should pick a receiver that allows the tow bar to be pretty flat when connected. That's pretty low so watch your ground clearance. The reason for this is because if the ball is higher than the lower torsion tube then the buggy tries to lift the rear of the tow vehicle when braking. If your tow vehicle is heavy this is not a huge deal. Towing a 1200 lb. buggy with a 2800 lb. mini-truck will make will butt pucker the first time you slam on the binders (the 2nd time you have a 10 inch drop receiver!)
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Yes any steering column from about '70 or '71 Beetle and up will have a steering lock. Mine does. Turn the key on, then turn it back to off and leave the key in place and you are fine. The column will not lock until you take the key out.

US market Type 1 had locking columns starting in '68.

Some Euro market T1s had locking columns starting in '61 -

bnc
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
oprn wrote:

bnc

Yes my '69 has a wheel lock.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
oprn wrote:

bnc

My '65 German delivery came with locking steering column. My '67 Us Bug did not, but had 3-point belts. My friend's '67 US delivery Bug DOES have a locking column, but 2-point lap belts. Things can be kinda hit and miss depending on how the customer ordered it and where it was intended to be delivered.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a tow bar Reply with quote

Yes, I couldn't remember which year the locking column was introduced here. '68 - '69 is likely correct here too. I remember changing out the column in my '66 to get the locking one with the wiper switch on the column. I suspect lots of Buggies have them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: