Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

The bus seems to run well enough, but just curious if you'd recommend a better carb and distributor.

It's a 1971 (AE) bug dual port engine. Supposedly w/bigger bore out to 1679.

Don't know much else about the engine.

Not sure what carb is on there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

guess the picture shrunk quite a bit.

Currently has a "009" dizzy on there.

I guess that's the wrong dist to put on there?

https://i.ibb.co/vPpP2pN/20200415-173931.jpg
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

Looks like a 34 pict 3 or a reproduction of one. That’s the stock carb for that engine. Nothing wrong with a 009, is it the ideal distributor? No, but it will get you there and back. If you want to keep that carb and get the correct distributor for your engine it’s a 205 (I can’t remember all the other #s). https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts.pdf It’s the stock distributor for a 1971 bus. Or you can go with dual carbs and pick up a bit more performance. You’ll probably get a lot more opinions over on the performance forum. Your best bet is to figure out what exactly your engine has in it, stroke, bore, cam, rockers, heads, etc. and work from there.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

It looks like a 30/31 carb to me.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

What does it says on the left side of the carb?
This should tell you what it is.
Since it's a dual port intake but has a carb adapter plate on it, I'm leaning toward a repro 30/31 carb too.
34PICT you wouldn't need the adapter plate, right?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

Oops, missed the adapter. Embarassed I should have zoomed in, I guess I was expecting a 34 pict to be sitting on a 71 AE motor. Confirmation bias strikes again.
Culito

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

I've been using an 010 with the H30/31 with decent results, but it may not be the best. If I remember correctly, the H30/31 doesn't create enough ported vacuum for an SVDA?
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

There are some good write-ups on here and the internet for running a 009 and a pict 30/31 or 34. Until I rebuilt my last engine, I ran with that for a couple years and no real issues. Remember its a bus... a 50 refrigerator on wheels, it won't ever be "FAST," maybe faster, but not FAST. LoL

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

That carb does look like my old Brosol H30/31, I ran that on a 1600 dual port, with a 009 for 20 something years.

In 2011, with the exact same 1600dp long block, I added Kadrons and a 019 (BR8), huge difference, adding another 5+hp when you only have 57hp, can seem significant.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

If it's a 30/31 carburetor match it to a 113 905 205 T SVA distributor

If it's a 34 PICT 3 carburetor match it to a 211 905 205 Q DVDA or one of a number of different SVDA distributors.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
That carb does look like my old Brosol H30/31, I ran that on a 1600 dual port, with a 009 for 20 something years.

In 2011, with the exact same 1600dp long block, I added Kadrons and a 019 (BR8), huge difference, adding another 5+hp when you only have 57hp, can seem significant.

I ran a Solex 30 pict 1with a 009 on a 1500 single port with no problems. Then I put duel Solexs and a 4 into 1 exhaust on it and, yeah that extra lawnmowers worth of horsepower/torque is noticeable. Kept the 009 though.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

It's been 20 years since I regularly drove a type 1 engine. But I almost always drove stock carb/ dizzies.
Every time I tried an 009 it was horrible. Way worse throttle response.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW noob question: another carb/dizzy question Reply with quote

Some of the older German 009's are decent, and had a solid and reliable advance mechanism. But the timing and dwell are something I'd prefer stayed static, if possible.

I still haven't reset my timing in nearly 10 years, and 8,000 miles, using a Bosch BR8 with Pertronix Ignitor and coil. The OG Bosch distributors run like a Swiss watch, this is the most solid and dependable mine has ever ran.

This one was restored and the Pertronix installed by Glenn, here on TS.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: