Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy rear bench bolts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Westy rear bench bolts Reply with quote

It's been a busy few weeks since I dismantled my interior for some rehabilitation. Most of the screws/bolts and other fasteners have been replaced but I was able to reuse the brown carriage bolts.
Anyway, I'm back to fastening the Westfalia rear bench to the floor and I can't find or remember the bolts that came out of it. Can someone post a pic? I am not near my Bentley or would start there.

I mean the ones that secure the bench to the floor, not any of the others that hold it together.

Screws with washers?
Bolts with washers?
Metric?
Standard?

Before I go to the hardware bin I'd love to know what is actually supposed to go there.

I think there are 3 and one other one for the galley cabinet.

Thanks!

By the way, I have learned the error of my ways and will use the cardboard method next time (poking them in order through cardboard and noting what they are). I saw that on here recently and can't believe I never thought of it in the million or so cars, campers and the like I've worked on. I think I'm getting old.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear bench bolts Reply with quote

Got em. Thanks anyway.

They are bolts BTW. 1" M something or other.

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tuanis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rear bench bolts Reply with quote

Does anyone have a pic of the bench where it bolts to the floor they could post? I just picked up a new van and these bolts are missing so the seat wobbles forward and back. It's the bolts just in front of the engine deck lid that bolt the seat frame to the floor in that area. If anyone happens to know what size they were that would be even better!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rear bench bolts Reply with quote

I remember a story of how G. Gordon Libby ransacked the warden's officers when he was in stir and they never found out. He said, very simple. Take pictures before you touch anything and then put it back the way it was before you leave. That's why our smart phones have cameras onboard. Take tons of pics when dismantling.
tuanis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rear bench bolts Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
I remember a story of how G. Gordon Libby ransacked the warden's officers when he was in stir and they never found out. He said, very simple. Take pictures before you touch anything and then put it back the way it was before you leave. That's why our smart phones have cameras onboard. Take tons of pics when dismantling.

Totally agree, normally I take pics of everything before I start dismantling. But the van was like this when I got it so I'm just trying to clean up someone else's mess Smile
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rear bench bolts Reply with quote

A Westy should have brackets with weld nuts on the floor. I recall they are 8mm x 1.25 pitch. You’d have to calculate the length.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: