Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

O Ghia's Restoration Journey
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Hi Marc,
Do you have the rubber gasket for your trunk yet? If not I would highly recommend buying one from Rudiger Huber in Germany. Chris (Kiwighia68) suggested him a a source for one which fit correctly when I was lamenting Lilcar's trunk fit not looking right. I finally got around to installing it this weekend and the fit of it is incredible. Not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion...
https://www.vintagecarparts.de.
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Hi Marc,
Do you have the rubber gasket for your trunk yet? If not I would highly recommend buying one from Rudiger Huber in Germany. Chris (Kiwighia68) suggested him a a source for one which fit correctly when I was lamenting Lilcar's trunk fit not looking right. I finally got around to installing it this weekend and the fit of it is incredible. Not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion...
https://www.vintagecarparts.de.

Hi Diane,
I do have a new trunk gasket. It was put on the car by Richard Troy just before he shipped it out. It seems to fit well and it is soft so I plan to put it back on. If I need a better one though, I will certainly look into Rudiger. Richard glued it on with yellow gasket adhesive and made quite a mess. Took me several hours to remove it without damaging it.

Did you have to use adhesive when you put yours on? Thank you for the hint.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Did you have to use adhesive when you put yours on?

I did use adhesive - the black version of the yellow 3M product- bonds very well and quickly so fitting it in dry was essential. On Lilcar there are two screw holes up in the top corners which would hold it in place but I made the mistake of not making holes in the rubber before installing and after it was in couldn't figure out where they should be - the previous gasket didn't use screws so I left them off this time and won't worry about them unless it seems to be disbonding in that area. If yours sits properly then there is no need to change it - the gasket I had i place before this really bumped the hood up and always bothered me.
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I did use adhesive - the black version of the yellow 3M product- bonds very well and quickly so fitting it in dry was essential. On Lilcar there are two screw holes up in the top corners which would hold it in place but I made the mistake of not making holes in the rubber before installing and after it was in couldn't figure out where they should be - the previous gasket didn't use screws so I left them off this time and won't worry about them unless it seems to be disbonding in that area. If yours sits properly then there is no need to change it - the gasket I had i place before this really bumped the hood up and always bothered me.

I should perhaps mention that the gasket I received from Rudiger Huber fits so well that I only had to use a few 6" stretches of adhesive at the corners. No screws and no mess, and the hood sits down flush all round.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
moogie32 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I should perhaps mention that the gasket I received from Rudiger Huber fits so well that I only had to use a few 6" stretches of adhesive at the corners. No screws and no mess, and the hood sits down flush all round.

Thanks for the input. Great to have all this input ahead of time. The Gasket that came with the car seems to be
made of good material. It also seemed to have a good fit before I took it off the car. It's soft and spongy, not stiff at all
and it's new, not even dirty but it does have plenty of glue on it. Luckily the glue peels away with careful work. It had only
been on the car a few months. What's odd to me is that it is made of 4 separate pieces glued in a ring? Is this typical?
it has the cutouts for the channel drains at the front corners.

The 4 glue joints are visible in the picture.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also have a new gasket for the engine lid but it is totally different. The engine lid gasket is made of a very stiff hard rubber??

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Hmm...
That looks like it might be an RT special.
Here’s how mine looks:

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

Thanks for the input. Great to have all this input ahead of time. The Gasket that came with the car seems to be
made of good material. It also seemed to have a good fit before I took it off the car. It's soft and spongy, not stiff at all
and it's new, not even dirty but it does have plenty of glue on it. Luckily the glue peels away with careful work. It had only
been on the car a few months. What's odd to me is that it is made of 4 separate pieces glued in a ring? Is this typical?

The gasket from Rudiger Huber comes as a moulded one-piece. The join is hardly noticeable. The most important feature is that it is moulded at the corners. It fits like a glove - and needs no bending or shaping. And as I said, a small section of adhesive at the corners.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Hmm...
That looks like it might be an RT special.
Here’s how mine looks:

Kind of difficult to look past that beautiful paint?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Ha!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Ha!

Where did you buy your gasket? Did you use adhesive? If so just at corners or along the whole length?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Last edited by Marcdeb on Thu May 13, 2021 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

The gasket from Rudiger Huber comes as a moulded one-piece. The join is hardly noticeable. The most important feature is that it is moulded at the corners. It fits like a glove - and needs no bending or shaping. And as I said, a small section of adhesive at the corners.

I like the sounds of that. Maybe I'll be buying a new one, but I'll at least try a dry run with the one I have.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Ha!

Where did you buy your gasket? Did you use adhesive? If so just at corners or along the whole length?

Would you believe RT supplied it?
No adhesive. Seems to stay of its own accord.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Ha!

Would you believe RT supplied it?
No adhesive. Seems to stay of its own accord.

Maybe he'll chime in and reveal where he bought it from! Shocked

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

And maybe Santa bought Rolex’s as bonuses for all the elves that met quota.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
And maybe Santa bought Rolex’s as bonuses for all the elves that met quota.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

whilst on this discussion... I have never found an engine lid seal that was soft enough to go around the bottom corners and let the lid close evenly.
I have always used a length of front hood seal which is much more spongy. It looks slightly different when fitted but the lid closes nicely and it is much more 'forgiving'
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
whilst on this discussion... I have never found an engine lid seal that was soft enough to go around the bottom corners and let the lid close evenly.
I have always used a length of front hood seal which is much more spongy. It looks slightly different when fitted but the lid closes nicely and it is much more 'forgiving'

You just described my engine lid seal. It's like tire rubber! Maybe my trunk seal will be repurposed for the engine lid, and a new Rudiger Huber could be ordered for the trunk?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Yes, they are so hard.
The last repurposed seal I got was an NOS front seal with rip in it (off the Samba) that left plenty for me to make a engine lid seal out of Smile
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
Yes, they are so hard.
The last repurposed seal I got was an NOS front seal with rip in it (off the Samba) that left plenty for me to make a engine lid seal out of Smile

I did the same, the new engine seals are garbage.
The seal I got from Airhead is a single piece and even using the hold down tabs on the corners pops up and pushes my hood up ruining the alignment. I have my old factory seal which oddly has been trimmed along the back edge. I’m going to clean it up and use it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

While restoring a headlight assembly for the right side, I noticed that out of three headlight assemblies, and
several partial assemblies, all of them have only one spring each? There is two locations for installing springs so I just
want to make sure that two springs is correct. Can anyone verify?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 47

Jump to: