Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Location of Beetle Door Remote & length of door rod 1963 - 65
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Location of Beetle Door Remote & length of door rod 1963 - 65 Reply with quote

I have a '64 Beetle made in late Nov 1963 with a VIN after 5888888. WBW says it should have the style of lock that has 2 parallel bars (vs a button), and mine does. The outside handles open the doors just fine, HOWEVER, neither the driver's nor the passenger's inside door handle opens the door. It will lock it, but there is not enough throw to open it the latch.
I can open it from the inside by either pulling on the rod with the remote unbolted or turning the handle with the unbolted remote having situated it another 1/4 inch or so forward.
I was wondering if anyone has precise measurements for the location of the screws for the remote as well as the length of the rod.
I do note that the previous/original owner had replaced the handles, I believe, since both driver's and passenger's door has a lock and the key for those locks is different from the ignition key. All are VW keys and the handles are genuine VW handles.
Otherwise, might the lock mechanism just be a bit too worn? If so, how does one do all that riviting of the mechanisms? Seems like such a pain.
kwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Location of Beetle Door Remote & length of door rod 1963 - 65 Reply with quote

kwalker wrote:
I have a '64 Beetle made in late Nov 1963 with a VIN after 5888888. WBW says it should have the style of lock that has 2 parallel bars (vs a button), and mine does. The outside handles open the doors just fine, HOWEVER, neither the driver's nor the passenger's inside door handle opens the door. It will lock it, but there is not enough throw to open it the latch.
I can open it from the inside by either pulling on the rod with the remote unbolted or turning the handle with the unbolted remote having situated it another 1/4 inch or so forward.
I was wondering if anyone has precise measurements for the location of the screws for the remote as well as the length of the rod.
I do note that the previous/original owner had replaced the handles, I believe, since both driver's and passenger's door has a lock and the key for those locks is different from the ignition key. All are VW keys and the handles are genuine VW handles.
Otherwise, might the lock mechanism just be a bit too worn? If so, how does one do all that riviting of the mechanisms? Seems like such a pain.

FINALLY RESOLVED THE SITUATION... MAYBE NOT THE BEST SOLUTION, BUT IT WORKS:

I had purchased extra remotes that were supposed to work with the later ’64 style that appeared to match the locking mechanism, but the throw did not seem that different from my existing remotes, so it probably would still not move enough to open the latching mechanism. So I decided what I would replace the lock mechanism. The problem being that the window channel was blocking its removal.

I was finally able to get the passenger door apart enough that I could pull over the vent window upright over sufficiently to get the window down and out without stressing the glass.

I then finessed the lock mechanism out and put in an earlier type lock. (I was able to pull the channel forward enough to work the lock mechanism out around it.) I figured I would try putting in an earlier style lock mechanism I had purchased and see if that enables me to open the door from the inside using my existing remote. Alternatively I could have tried replacing the remote first but I would have wanted to get 2 extra remote "rods" so that I would not have to remove the rivet holding the rod to my existing remote and then, if that hadn't worked, have to re-rivet them. Also I searched and searched but could not find the later-style remotes I had purchased about a year ago.
So after replacing the lock mechanism I am finally able to open the door from the inside! I thus also installed the outer handle that works with Beetles through mid-64 and that works too. One interesting note is that the old latch, remote, and handles WERE all genuine VW parts. So if they were replaced some time in the past they were not replaced with aftermarket parts.

Had a bit of a challenge getting the e-clip on that secures the rod to the lock mechanism, but ultimately I was able to get that done and put everything back together. YEAY!

Now to tackle the driver's side.
kwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Location of Beetle Door Remote & length of door rod 1963 - 65 Reply with quote

I am wondering if the lock mechanism has wear, and that wear is what is causing the failure to open. Note the close up of the nub wherein the nub on the level travels when the door remote pulls on the lever. (first picture is before being pulled, second picture is after fully pulled). Instead of being a smooth "U" shape it is a backwards "J" followed by a curved slope. Is that slope actually a worn spot?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: