Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GENERATOR “Red Light”
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPAIRINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

I have a Newly Purchased 74’ Thing....drove it 700 miles to eastern Tennessee.On the way home, the Generator “Red Light” would come on intermittently. Belt was good tension and nothing out of place.
Since being home (1week now)....still have the same issue.....Generator puts out 14+V at fast idle and same out Big Red wire on Voltage Regulator.Sure need some help on this one!?!
Best Regards,
Dan Confused
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

Maybe check the brushes to see if they are worn...
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

I Believe the 74 had an alternator but still one of the slip ring brushes will ware down. You may find something at the hardware store that would work, but they are available online!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

'74 did not come from the factory with an alternator. That being said, a previous owner may have swapped out the generator for an alternator at some point.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

Post a photo of your engine compartment.
Martinwmd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

Of U have an alternator , there could be a diode that is defect.
That would cause the light to go on and stil have a alternator that charges +14v
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

If he has a voltage regulator as he mentioned then he probably doesn't have an alternator?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

Dougster43 wrote:
If he has a voltage regulator as he mentioned then he probably doesn't have an alternator?

We really can't assume anything as there are some alternators that have external regulator. That being said,..... I'm guessing he is still running with a stock generator.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

The guy says he has a GENERATOR in his original post...hence the advice for a generator.
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

SPAIRINC wrote:
I have a Newly Purchased 74’ Thing....drove it 700 miles to eastern Tennessee.On the way home, the Generator “Red Light” would come on intermittently. Belt was good tension and nothing out of place.
Since being home (1week now)....still have the same issue.....Generator puts out 14+V at fast idle and same out Big Red wire on Voltage Regulator.Sure need some help on this one!?!
Best Regards,
Dan Confused

Make sure your grounds are good for both the generator and the voltage regulator and make sure your connections are tigth. I had a similar issue just a couple of weeks back and it turned out to be a loose spade connector.

Here you have a couple of videos from when I changed my generator and my voltage regulator. Just in case.

Feel free to suscribe to my channel.

Link

Link

SPAIRINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

Mystery Prevails...need Help!
My system is a Generator..... just replaced Volt Reg.....for a few runs, Ge Red Light stayed out.... then, returned intermittently....now, steady on again.
Interstate battery...did a deep cycle...... all connectors that are plainly visible seem OK...... Not got the GEN Brushes out yet..... next, I suppose......Engine runs great...lil charmer..... just need this darn light out, except if it really should be ON.
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

SPAIRINC wrote:
Mystery Prevails...need Help!
My system is a Generator..... just replaced Volt Reg.....for a few runs, Ge Red Light stayed out.... then, returned intermittently....now, steady on again.
Interstate battery...did a deep cycle...... all connectors that are plainly visible seem OK...... Not got the GEN Brushes out yet..... next, I suppose......Engine runs great...lil charmer..... just need this darn light out, except if it really should be ON.

Before you take the generator off to retrofit. tighten all your connections, some of them may seem ok but they may not be tight enough, specially those at the voltage regulator. Disconnect the ground from the battery and with pliers tighten those female spade connectors from the harnes to the regulator. Reconnect the ground and Make sure the regulator is getting good ground and it it tightly afixed to the firewall.

PS, What regulator are you running? some of those "Generic Brand" are known for their lack of relaiability.

If all that fails then it may be time for new brushes, If you are going to do all the work, you may want to consider instaling an alternator. I Beleive yours is a 74, your car should have come out of the factory with alternator. The last generators were "Officially" installed on 73s to about 1/2 of the year model. All that said, the VW Plant in Puebla, Mexico where our cars were assembled used to take liberties with the assembly process based on material availability, so it is posible to have a 74' with a factory installed generator...
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GENERATOR “Red Light” Reply with quote

Man, don't confuse the guy!! Just check the sales brochures in the archives...1973, 1974 (even in spanish) and 1975 list GENERATOR as the standard equipment. Where do you get your information?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: