Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Audio experts
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Audio experts Reply with quote

Hi there, my 1303 have still the original AM radio functioning.
I want to do something more modern keeping the original radio.
This radio have an AUX in and I have connected to a 2 pos switch:

1 position AM ( pretty useless here in Switzerland)
2 position a jack connected to an Ipod to listen music.

All is ok but the sound is weak, of course one speaker is not so much but in the meantime I want to keep the original setup.
Someone can suggest me a different outfit to have more watt, for example a BT Amplifier always connected to the stero, so I use my telephone to send music without do anything....
Ideas like this, I know I am horrible with audio stuff Smile
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio experts Reply with quote

I think the original speaker was 16 OHMs so a 4 OHM or 8 OHM speaker would be louder.
mclumber1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio experts Reply with quote

I've only bench tested my upcoming setup, but it should work pretty well, and will be completely hidden. Essentially, I'm going to have a bluetooth receiver going to an amp, which will feed two speakers.

Bluetooth receiver: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0769DXZTV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3.5mm to RCA cord: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I23TTE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Amplifier: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0742MKGD6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNV6MRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio experts Reply with quote

I have a Sapphire XVIII AM radio in my 67. Here is what I did to add Bluetooth to my AM radio. You have an aux port in yours. I do not have that. You can just wire the Bluetooth receiver I used to 3.5mm audio connector.

I opened up the radio, snipped the AM signal that goes into the volume adjustment POT. Soldered that POT terminal to a long wire and attached it to input of an SPDT switch. I extended and ran the AM signal that was going to the POT, to output 1 of that SPDT switch. I took a 12v BlueTooth receiver (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Universal-Wireless-Bluetooth-Module-Music-Adapter-Rca-Aux-Audio-Cable-T7X8/233627571815), snipped off the RCA jacks and attached one 10k ohm resister each to left and right channel outputs of the Bluetooth adapter. That gave me a combined mono output. Extended that combined mono output to output 2 of the SPDT switch. Combined the commons from the stereo outputs and grounded them to the radio body. Attached the Bluetooth adapter power and ground to the radio power (the power terminal on the POT that gets energized when you turn on the radio - radio light is connected to that terminal as well) and radio ground.

Now, I have Bluetooth! If I flip the SPDT switch to the AM side, I have the old AM on my car speaker. If I flip the SPDT switch to the other side, I have Bluetooth on the car speaker. My phone can play music, Siri can give me directions, I can hear the phone calls. Most importantly, I control the Bluetooth volume using the Sapphire volume knob.

Details here.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751456
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Audio experts Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
I have a Sapphire XVIII AM radio in my 67. Here is what I did to add Bluetooth to my AM radio. You have an aux port in yours. I do not have that. You can just wire the Bluetooth receiver I used to 3.5mm audio connector.

I opened up the radio, snipped the AM signal that goes into the volume adjustment POT. Soldered that POT terminal to a long wire and attached it to input of an SPDT switch. I extended and ran the AM signal that was going to the POT, to output 1 of that SPDT switch. I took a 12v BlueTooth receiver (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Universal-Wireless-Bluetooth-Module-Music-Adapter-Rca-Aux-Audio-Cable-T7X8/233627571815), snipped off the RCA jacks and attached one 10k ohm resister each to left and right channel outputs of the Bluetooth adapter. That gave me a combined mono output. Extended that combined mono output to output 2 of the SPDT switch. Combined the commons from the stereo outputs and grounded them to the radio body. Attached the Bluetooth adapter power and ground to the radio power (the power terminal on the POT that gets energized when you turn on the radio - radio light is connected to that terminal as well) and radio ground.

Now, I have Bluetooth! If I flip the SPDT switch to the AM side, I have the old AM on my car speaker. If I flip the SPDT switch to the other side, I have Bluetooth on the car speaker. My phone can play music, Siri can give me directions, I can hear the phone calls. Most importantly, I control the Bluetooth volume using the Sapphire volume knob.

Details here.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751456

I am pretty much on your side, I just looking for morre power, since the volume have to be very low otherwise the speaker start to make noise
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Audio experts Reply with quote

maggiolo72 wrote:

I am pretty much on your side, I just looking for morre power, since the volume have to be very low otherwise the speaker start to make noise

Hmm, I have not had that issue. I keep the volume at the highest level on the phone and control the speaker volume with the volume control knob on the Sapphire radio. I don't have any distortion/static/noise.
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Audio experts Reply with quote

So probably my old radio have some kind of problem
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Audio experts Reply with quote

Maybe I can connect the amp to the radio speaker exit and then go to the new speaker.
I can use 2 speakers after the amp or I have to use only one ?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Audio experts Reply with quote

Saw this ad in the Classified section a while back. Seems like a neat stealth radio upgrade. Maybe you can reach out to the advertiser?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2097231
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Audio experts Reply with quote

I have run an iPhone through the rear din connection of a Becker unit and it sounds clear and loud.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio experts Reply with quote

With only one speaker, same as the original ? are you using the headphone exit from the iPhone ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: