Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is engine code AAF, ACU, and AET long blocks the same/swappable?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gottrond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Is engine code AAF, ACU, and AET long blocks the same/swappable? Reply with quote

I have a 1995 EuroVan camper engine code ACU 205720k on it that has a blown piston on cylinder 3 that scarred it.

Pretty much every major engine part has been replaced or rebuilt in the last 5k except the block

My mechanic tells me all I need is a decent used complete block ( with good pistons and rings).

I hear tell that the 2.5 L engine codes AAF, ACU, and AEF have identical long blocks and are swappable. As long as I have a good head to put on it.

Can anyone confirm or debunk this statement?

Please let me know. Thx Daniel
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is engine code AAF, ACU, and AET long blocks the same/swappable? Reply with quote

The only helpful information that I can provide is that I’ve known someone to successfully use an AAF head on an ACU block. The AAF head had to be machined to add an air port to match what the ACU head had.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is engine code AAF, ACU, and AET long blocks the same/swappable? Reply with quote

Yes they are s same block. Well pretty much. The AAF didn't have the attachment points for the knock sensors.
gottrond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is engine code AAF, ACU, and AET long blocks the same/swappable? Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, I am now told because the AAF doesn't have the attachment points for the knock sensors to avoid it unless it is my only option.

I also recently learned that the AAF engine has different pistons in it, designed for much lower compression (to run on REGULAR grade gasoline).
With wrong pistons (with lower compression) there may be some issues with ignition timing, it may need to be adjusted to get rid of "pinning" on accelerations. As well there may be lower engine power because of adjusted timing. I am also told the AAF and ACU have different ECUs.
Last they may have different ignition distributors and there can be some issues if you use the wrong pistons.

So to sum it up you can hack it to work but may not pass inspection for registration.

I have only met one guy that told me about the AET, "subdewd" are you confirming the AET long block are the same?

Thanks again guys!
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Is engine code AAF, ACU, and AET long blocks the same/swappable? Reply with quote

not familiar with AET.
I have an AAF block in my 1995 rialta. Though it doesn't have the stcok mounting point for the sensors I was able to mount them on 2 other spots.
I have put over 40K miles on this set up and have n o problems. No knocking no pinging
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is engine code AAF, ACU, and AET long blocks the same/swappable? Reply with quote

Do any of these engines have piston squirters?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is engine code AAF, ACU, and AET long blocks the same/swappable? Reply with quote

Don't know. Might be a diesel thing only
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: