Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

Curious, do any of you put RTV or anything else on the gaskets before you tighten them down? I have new gaskets and copper crush washers. Any particular torque on the small nuts? They weren't very tight when I took them off...
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

Do not use RTV and the small nuts are 7-9 ft lbs. Tighten in a cross pattern.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

I think those are 5 ft-lbs. I personally use Permatex ultrablack on the gaskets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
polypetalous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

Im sure the torque spec on those nuts is low (~8-lbs or so??), as the studs are tiny and surely cant take much.
I recently did my SB oil change and used a 1/4" drive ratchet to tighten "enough" (in criss-cross/star pattern).

As for RTV, I doubt many would advocate for that, the plate, strainer and gaskets should fit flush and make a good seal.

You "could" put a little grease on the paper gaskets to help the "seal," Ive seen it done before on YouTube, but not sure many here would be in favor of it.

For the record, I DID put a little grease on my gaskets (very thin layer, both sides)... so far no drips, drops or otherwise.

Ben
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

The torque spec is 5 lb-ft (60 lb-inches on my 1/4" torque wrench). Do not over-tighten them! Tighten them slowly and evenly in a star pattern. I don't add any sealer on the gaskets or washers.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

Don't use RTV, I've had to scrape that crap off a bunch of engine cases and drain plates and valve covers too... and they were usually leaking anyway.

I do use some grease on the cardboard drain plate gaskets after reading that here a long time ago and I think it did work better to seal it up.

On my daily driver I use the silicone sump gaskets now, they work great for me and are re-usable.

kpf specified the correct torque - it's low!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

+1 Silicone. No drips. 4+ oil changes on one set.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
The torque spec is 5 lb-ft (60 lb-inches on my 1/4" torque wrench). Do not over-tighten them! Tighten them slowly and evenly in a star pattern. I don't add any sealer on the gaskets or washers.
x2
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

I don’t use anything. I tighten them down with a 1/4 ratchet and done. The drain plug in the center I use a 3/8 drive socket. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

The sump plate gets deformed from over tightening and will cause leaks, check yours by placing 320 sandpaper on a flat surface and place sump plate (gasket side) on it and give a few strokes, you will probably see raised areas around the holes, sand till smooth for no leaks. I soak my gaskets in water before install no leaks.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

A little vasseline goes a long way.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

I always believed greasing a gasket was more to hold it in place rather than preventing leaks so that you don't pinch the gasket.

I may be wrong however as I was told this 50+ years ago.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

I use silicone gaskets and hand tight the nuts with a short socket wrench. never had a leak, nor deformed the plate/strainer.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

Regarding the silicone seals, is any vendors brand better than the other? This could be a pretty generic part. Or produced simply enough to have a couple variants out there.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

Dan the workingstiff wrote:
Regarding the silicone seals, is any vendors brand better than the other? This could be a pretty generic part. Or produced simply enough to have a couple variants out there.

I bought a set from Wolfsburg West about 3 years ago and have been reusing those same ones ever since, w/ no leaks so far (along with flat sump plate, properly torqued nuts, etc.). 2 orange silicone gaskets plus full set of copper washers for $6.50 — you really can’t go wrong with their offering, in my opinion: https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113198031SI

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Changing oil, putting new sump/screen gaskets on my 72 SB Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
Dan the workingstiff wrote:

I bought a set from Wolfsburg West about 3 years ago and have been reusing those same ones ever since, w/ no leaks so far (along with flat sump plate, properly torqued nuts, etc.). 2 orange silicone gaskets plus full set of copper washers for $6.50 — you really can’t go wrong with their offering, in my opinion: https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113198031SI

That's the one I have. Love it. No leaks at all with 5 ft-lbs of torque on the 6mm acorn nuts and 24 ft-lbs on the center drain plug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: