Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Part 192 062 007 - Voltage regulator?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finkelstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Part 192 062 007 - Voltage regulator? Reply with quote

The particulars: '79, FI

She ran great all last season until the weekend I put her away-
Easy start>high idle> sputter to off.
Under load, would hesitate and act fuel starved.

Well, winters are cold up here in far, far upstate NY and my barn garage isn't heated. Plus I have a four year old, and a job; an essential health care job. So I didn't get to even attempt to solve this problem.

Went out to check FI grounds- Double relay looks well grounded at fire wall, FI resistors look ok, connections clean.

Moving over to R side of firewall and I note the brown wire that accompanies Red, green, and blue into the back of the box mounted to R of firewall is melted (insulation) and to boot melted into the red wire (through insulation).

I removed the plug out from the box (plug part no 021 971 841),
removed box (part 192 062 007).

Is the box a voltage regulator? The wire loom travels to a Y. One end goes through the firewall- seems like the other to the alternator.

I haven't removed wire loom as of yet. Thought I'd get some thoughts.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Part 192 062 007 - Voltage regulator? Reply with quote

Based on your description and the part #, I'd say yes that's your voltage regulator.

I'm a bit concerned about the melting wires and boot (connector?). Somewhere you have a short to ground.

A picture is worth a 1000 words...if you have 'em.

Also, there's wiring diagrams in the technical section.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Part 192 062 007 - Voltage regulator? Reply with quote

I've just dealt with bad alt-VR wires this weekend. Yes, you have an issue. I agree, need to look for where the short is that caused the brown (alt ground) and the red (D+) from the alt melt.

As for your running issue, while not getting juice will cause issues (obviously), that sounds more fuel\air to me than electrical. I'd be looking for vacuum leaks while you are in there.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
finkelstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Part 192 062 007 - Voltage regulator? Reply with quote

A little more digging this afternoon- Yes, its a voltage regulator. A very pricy voltage regulator. Prices for new BOSCH are upwards of $150 US.

So...is it going to be ok to simply crimp female connectors to my wire leads?

Can I bench test this regulator? If so, how?
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Part 192 062 007 - Voltage regulator? Reply with quote

finkelstein wrote:
A little more digging this afternoon- Yes, its a voltage regulator. A very pricy voltage regulator. Prices for new BOSCH are upwards of $150 US.

Search "not charging" title only here, you'll get a bunch of threads on the subject. Or, head over to Ratwell.com, he has a section on testing the alt and the VR.

The Bosch one is pricy, and considering the quality of other Bosch items over the recent years, I chose not to go that route when I replaced mine. I got a SMP brand solid state one (and a spare since they are less than $30). SMP's points and condensers are very good, I decided to take a chance on their VR.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Part 192 062 007 - Voltage regulator? Reply with quote

Here's a recent thread with tests: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9634037#9634037

Regulators are cheap in the classifieds and rarely fail, any 72-79 bus one will do.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Part 192 062 007 - Voltage regulator? Reply with quote

finkelstein wrote:

Beru regulator is about $30 at Autohausaz.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finkelstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Part 192 062 007 - Voltage regulator? Reply with quote

Update to OG post:

The issue was in fact vacuum leak- the 90 elbow at the bottom of the AAR had a crack. Not a big crack mind you, but enough to nearly trounce my season.
A thin little run of duct tape solved it until I can source a replacement.

I think the original of to ALT ground/D+ was simply old age and brittle wires. I replaced a section of the ALT ground and the D+ via splice on each until I can recreate the ALT harness. Replaced the voltage regulator with a Hella as recommended; I also picked one up off the classifieds for good measure.

As always, thanks for the insights fellas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: