Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cell phone questions...stupid ones!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Well I feel like I am using a hammer to chop a tree when it comes to IT in general. Story is, I have an Iphone 4 , maybe a 6 ( yeah, the museum wants it), that I have had when they first came out. For the past 20 years this was all paid for and supplied by my employer.Now I am separating from that company, but get to keep the phone and number. So, what is my best bet---- I need to either get a new battery in this phone or get a new one. I need to know what to do to switch number to me instead of company billing. Concerns are: How to determine total gb current use so I can get an adequate plan?, any reason not go Android over apple? And if I get anew phone Im sure as hell not paying $1000 for it! I really dont use it for anything except when out cause I use my notepad at home.
Work at a phone store? ...help me please.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

I think you need to figure out what you want to do with the phone first. You can then find the right one for you.

I would definitely not use iPhone 4 or 6 at this point. Neither are supported by the latest iOS release (14.5 at this time). Using old software opens you up to hackers.

Between Android and Apple, I would always pick Apple. It is more secure, more user friendly and easier to use. It is definitely more expensive, so you need to look at what you want to spend.

If you do get a new phone, the phone store will help you transfer your number. If your employer has agreed to release the number to you, the phone store will send the request to their carrier and get that approved. You should not have to deal with any of that.

If I were you, I would look at iPhone SE. It is a perfect phone for someone who does not want to spend a lot of money but still provides fast processor, latest software and will last a long time. It is also pretty cheap, compared to other iPhone models.

You will find that there is a lot more you would be able to do with your phone, especially with something as nice as an iPhone SE. There are a ton of apps. Banking, investments, translators, specialty calculators, health, video calls, GPS, etc.

I would not recommend buying a used phone. You kept your phone for a long time and would likely keep this one for a long time as well. Why get something that is already old and may get outdated sooner.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

I do appreciate the advice, but I notice that the SE comes in varied degree of memory? I do not really use my cellphone away from the house wifi more than maybe 6 -8 hours a week, if even that. My question is how much memory to buy , meaning which SE --- since they vary from about $475-800. Then I have to figure which type of monthly plan....... it was so much easier when somebody else was paying for it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Does that mean I shouldn't try to sell him my old Motorola StarTAC?
Wink

Best pure "phone" ever made! Smallest ever, multi-mode, great signal pull, great battery life, and replacement antennae could be bought cheap through Radio Shack.

We'll, if you'll pardon me, I'm going to go watch some BetaMax movies on my CRT-screen TV...
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Apple club here as well. Just got a new iPhone 12 Pro stepped up from my XR. It’s more secure than Android and if you watch the drop test it wins by a long shot, a very long shot. I’ve had Android in the past and in my opinion it’s harder to use. My parents both have Android they just got the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultras and they wish they would of gotten an iPhone like I had because they feel the Samsung is too big and not as easy to navigate on. It’s a wonder they still let you use that iPhone 4 or 6 I heard the E911 wasn’t valid any longer on those phones is what the guy at the phone store was saying to an older customer who still had a 6. Look at going the refurbished route if you don’t want to pay retail for it. I got $588 trade in for my XR I hated trading it in but that was half the cost of the phone so I couldn’t beat that. They said my phone would be refurbished and sold as refurbished.! Smile . Just know none of these new phones will be able to have replacement batteries put in. Laughing. Also the camera is excellent on both phones I will say that. But not worth going to Samsung over the camera.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
I do appreciate the advice, but I notice that the SE comes in varied degree of memory? I do not really use my cellphone away from the house wifi more than maybe 6 -8 hours a week, if even that. My question is how much memory to buy , meaning which SE --- since they vary from about $475-800. Then I have to figure which type of monthly plan....... it was so much easier when somebody else was paying for it.

I would recommend the smallest amount of memory on the SE, it think it is 64 GB.
Turn on automatic iCloud sync and you will have 5 TB of storage for photos etc.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

android here. not an apple fan to be honest.

anyway, check out walmartz because if you go thru verizon etc you will be leasing the phone which is rolled into your bill.

gone are the days of free upgrades. i personally like phones with SD and SIM cards because you can buy a wiped phone off of whoever and swap your cards without having to fuck around. i break a lot of phones so i kind of like being able to have a phone on the shelf ready to roll

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
... it was so much easier when somebody else was paying for it.

Yes, it is. Adulting is hard. ;-)
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Pleeeeaasssseeeee

This is old school and works perfectly Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

Anybody still have one Question Question Question Question Question

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

fredybear wrote:
Pleeeeaasssseeeee

This is old school and works perfectly Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

Haven’t seen one of those in a long time. My sister had one way back about 10 years ago or more. I’m surprised you can still use something that old.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Similar situation here. We have iPhone 6s phones and the batteries are starting to fail, again. As noted we cannot update the iOS to the latest and safest version. The 6S phones have been fine for us but time moves on.
I also saw the SE and liked the price.
I asked our hyper-tech son for an opinion. His opinion was to go with the 11. Why? To make the phone as "future proof" as possible. As new iOS versions come out and technology in general changes, the 11 will have a much longer functional life than the SE.
We'll probably go with the 11...as soon as the batteries in ours completely fail.
We are most assuredly late adopters.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Similar situation here. We have iPhone 6s phones and the batteries are starting to fail, again. As noted we cannot update the iOS to the latest and safest version. The 6S phones have been fine for us but time moves on.
I also saw the SE and liked the price.
I asked our hyper-tech son for an opinion. His opinion was to go with the 11. Why? To make the phone as "future proof" as possible. As new iOS versions come out and technology in general changes, the 11 will have a much longer functional life than the SE.
We'll probably go with the 11...as soon as the batteries in ours completely fail.
We are most assuredly late adopters.

With all due respect, your son is not correct.

Google iPhone SE 2020 processor. You will see that it has Apple A13 Bionic processor.
Now Google iPhone 11 processor. You will see that it also has Apple A13 Bionic processor.

They both have exact same internals. They will last the same time. They will run the same software version at the same speed.

Biggest difference is Touch ID vs facial recognition, 4.7 inch screen vs 6.1 inch screen and the screen technology.

Here is a side by side comparison. https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?modelList=iphoneSE2ndgen,iphone11

Now, are armed with this actual, factual, irrefutable knowledge, do what every old person wants to do to their self proclaimed, tech guru kid - tell him, son, you are wrong! let me tech you a thing or two about technology. Smile
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

I sure miss my bagphone. Crying or Very sad
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

fredybear wrote:

Mine. Samsung TracFone. Cost me $7 new, with battery, 2 chargers....

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

LOL 3 of my friends still have old, I mean OLD flip phones! I am surprised they still work. A couple others have trac phones where you pay for so many minutes each month. I have always had an Apple. They serve their purpose. My daughter swears by Android.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

I still have a flip phone. I do not text and it drives my friends nuts.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
Well I feel like I am using a hammer to chop a tree when it comes to IT in general. Story is, I have an Iphone 4 , maybe a 6 ( yeah, the museum wants it), that I have had when they first came out. For the past 20 years this was all paid for and supplied by my employer.Now I am separating from that company, but get to keep the phone and number. So, what is my best bet---- I need to either get a new battery in this phone or get a new one. I need to know what to do to switch number to me instead of company billing. Concerns are: How to determine total gb current use so I can get an adequate plan?, any reason not go Android over apple? And if I get anew phone Im sure as hell not paying $1000 for it! I really dont use it for anything except when out cause I use my notepad at home.
Work at a phone store? ...help me please.

On data usage , if you don’t watch movies on your phone, you can buy the minimum amount of data plan and you will be fine. The days of paying huge overage charges are now gone, if you go over your plan now, generally it’s a small up charge

An iPhone 4 may only work on a CDMA like Verizon, the SIM card( which chooses the carrier) is built in. An iPhone 6 has a removable sim, so you can choose any network. It may need to be unlocked from your current network by the current carrier if it really old.

You can tell which model it is in settings ( the gearbox icon) , General, About... the info there will tell you model and carrier

Apple stuff is more secure since it isn’t open architecture, but if you are just using it asa phone/ text/email/ pictures don’t worry about that

I wouldn’t bank on an old phone, but then I don’t bank on a new phone either.

Battery replacement on these phones is of moderate difficulty. I do all my own on the 20+ IOS devices in my family , using ifixit as a guide. They make cool tools for opening them up. I’ve done screens, batteries, switches, boards on iPhones and iPads. Great site and they sell the parts and have online pdf guides that are well done.

You can buy good used apple stuff with a one year warranty at back market.com
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
fredybear wrote:

Mine. Samsung TracFone. Cost me $7 new, with battery, 2 chargers....

Haha. I had a slide phone like that except mine was an LG like a Cosmos 3 or something through Verizon. As much as I text all the keys wore out and then I got my first smartphone after that.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

^^^^^ still the best way to go^^^^^^. I absolutely hate phones in general, nothing but a gigantic distraction time suck. $7 phone will take a call, send wonderful low resolution pictures, and text. As I can read a map and have a working speedometer I'm all good.

I understand some jobs require fancier phones, the employer should at least split the cost.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone questions...stupid ones! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Does that mean I shouldn't try to sell him my old Motorola StarTAC?
Wink

My dad had one of those! I remember he also got an adapter cable to he could connect it to his Palm Pilot and go on the web. I also remember my Grandpa had a silver StarTAC that had a "color" screen (it only had two or three colors IIRC).

On a somewhat related note, my first phone was a hand-me-down Motorola RAZR. To this day it was the best "phone" phone I ever had! It never dropped a call and always had signal.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: