Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Helga - Our 71 Westfalia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Never mind on the Weber 34ICTs. John@aircooled advised they aren't the right carb setup for a dual port. They're also backordered.

Last night I put the final coat of polyurethane on the cabinet faces, and made some progress on my camping electrical system. More on both of those soon.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Why not go with the IDF40s? They would be a good match with the 1776, but you’d probably have to change the stock exhaust you have on there to see more of the power.

Nothing wrong with your set up tho, I’m sure it will be nice and quite for you guys.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

40IDF appears to be where I'm heading. Just too many opinions resulting in Analysis Paralysis.

I have a local friend with a single 40IDF/1776 in a bug. His engine has a lot more performance mods than mine. He says he's been running this combo for 15 years with no adjustments. He took me for a ride and it's quite powerful. Same guy built my motor and his, but the builder didn't recommend the single 40IDF. Maybe I'll go ask why.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Keep in kind that your friends bug is a lot lighter then a camper. Which will result in better performance. In the 90s my buddy had a 1776 with Kaddys in a ‘70 convertible bug, that thing was a rocket!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Just ordered a set of new Weber 40 IDFs setup for a 1776.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Sweeeeet!!! I guessing you got those for Aircooled.net. I hope you got the CB linkage, it is super nice.

What’s the “set up,” Vacuum port and re-jetting? I got mine from CB and I’m running them as they came in the box. Currently getting 16-17 in town and 19-21 on the hwy (depending on the winds). Super windy last trip and we only got 18.7 (I think), that was going 60-65.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Tue May 11, 2021 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Everyone is out of stock on CB Performance gear. Got a Redline set off the Classifieds that aircooled setup for a 1776. Seller never got around to unwrapping it.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

I’m sure you’ll notice the difference. You’ll have to cut off the stock oil bath air cleaner stand. You’ll also have to machine the intakes to clear the tin. Some people cut the tin, but there is plenty of material on the intake to remove.

I do a lot of dirt road driving so I run UNI per filters. Not only do they offer added filtration but they cut the intake noise down a lot.

https://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Sc...ir-filters
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

I was tracking the oil bath stand removal. I hadn't heard about machining intakes or trimming tin. I'm trying to learn all I can so install day goes easy.

Do I need to block off my preheat on the muffler, or do I just leave it open? Stuff a sock in it?
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Do I need to drop the engine to do this install? I was thinking I could do it with engine in, but if the intakes are going to take some massaging, I'm starting to wonder.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

You’ll need to block off the preheat hole, definitely don’t stick a sock in it. That would most likely end up in your fan. You can just cut a piece of sheet metal a little bigger then the hole and use some sort of adhesive (like JB Weld) to hold it in place and paint it. The intakes are a bit large on the inside, by inside I mean where the head tin (the spark plug area) and the intake meet. My builder machines that area of the intake to clear. I’m sure you’ll be able to figure it out, you have the skills!

I’m sure you could install them with the engine in. However, it would be a hell of a lot easier with the engine removed. I know you just bought that exhaust, but that’s gonna be your limiting factor now. It’s not gonna flow well enough for those carbs. A merged header to a single quite pack or a Vintage Speed exhaust would be a lot better match. But you’re on the road soon and I understand you’ve already thrown a lot at it. I can’t believe I’m gonna type this, it you may want to try it with the stock exhaust then try that Monza exhaust 😳 and see which flows better. I’m sure the Monza will. You can pick up a merged header and single QP for a couple of hundred dollars. It wouldn’t e the top Of the line and it certainly won’t be as quite as the stock, but it would do the job. I ran a bug pack T2 (bus) header with an EMPI Phatboy muffler for a while. I really liked it. Now I run the Vintage Speed Sport and personally I really like it. It flows well, tucks away nicely and I really like the sound (even wifey likes the sound 🤣).
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Should I order a Snail gauge to sync the carbs?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Yes
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

I've completed my aux battery setup, and am quite pleased with how it worked out. To avoid duplicating the explanation, I'll just link to it here:

Here are the components that are hidden under a false bottom in the storage area next to the backseat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The cabinetry is coming along nicely.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

looking so good!

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Nice! What fridge is that?
72 Baja
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Fridge is from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P66NVLF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

How long do you think that battery will keep the fridge running for before it dies?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

I know it will run at least 12 hours. I've tested it that long. It will depend on ambient conditions, of course, as fridges don't run continuously.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Mberglo wrote:
I know it will run at least 12 hours. I've tested it that long. It will depend on ambient conditions, of course, as fridges don't run continuously.

Not to bad. Do you plan on running anything else off that better at the same time? Stereo, lights, charging of electronic devices?

We hardly ever camp at campgrounds and are often off the grid for days at a time. We’d be out of battery power the first night with a fridge and have nothing left to run lights and change our devices with. I guess I could go with a solar panel. But, for the price of a panel, controller, relays, inverter, fridge and all the wiring I could buy a lot of ice. Different strokes I guess.

I am interested to see how it works during your trip.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: