Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Only $5500 for block, shroud and air filter.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2459887

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Only $5500 for block, shroud and air filter.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2459887

Cheers,

Paul

Rolling Eyes Laughing
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CorvallisKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Get it while it’s hot! Only $5500!!

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/vancouver-1963-vw-beetle-split-window/7320671463.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

I sold this bug way back for the sausage king, I sold all of the sausage kings cars. It was a hard top, it is a factory split crotch cooler, pan cannot be OG. We put it on a 55 pan. Sold to a friend of mine. Then went to Hawaii.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2481915
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
I sold this bug way back for the sausage king....

And here I always thought Abe Froman was the Sausage King.... Question
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Who is the "sausage king" and why is he "infamous" ? Never heard of this person Rolling Eyes
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1964 Chop Top
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
Nick12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

The Sausage King was Stuart Alexander. He owned a sausage factory in San Leandro CA, felt harassed by the meat inspectors, shot 4 of them, killed 3. He had a lot of air cooled VW's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Alexander_(murderer)
Back in the early 2000's I got to ride shotgun in the Sausage King split when it was RHD. The current owner has it really low on airbags, but my buddy had it even lower 20 years ago without airbags. Everyone loved that thing when it would go to all the shows, especially Kelly Park.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

in this thread too
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94981

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2487335

this is one of the most ridiculous prices I've seen in quite some time...

almost 80 thousand dollars and you get that interior? and not original engine? replaced front fenders and hood? sticking brakes and leaking wheel seal?

whines in first and second? of course it does, all split beetles do, they have straight cut gears for 1st and 2nd, and helical cut gears for 3rd and 4th. This is also why 3rd and 4th shifts are much easier without grinding.

geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

I don't know how or where people get their information on their car's history and why they make claims as to the " oldest, only-est or rarest ", but my Max Hoffman '50 Standard Sedan was manufactured on 4 Aug 1950, left the factory on 22 Aug 1950, and delivered ( according to the birth cert. ) directly to Max Hoffman in New York. It has the original engine, transmission and brake system. After restoration by Cooker's VW Restoration, should be as correct as I can reasonably make it, including whining transmission and crappy mechanical brakes, but I doubt if it will approach $ 78,000 in value, nor do I care. It is a horrible, horrible car to drive, which is probably why I like it so much !
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

It's déjà vu all over again.... That car was discussed here two years ago:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9030747#9030747

It had first appeared on OldBug in Dec. 2018 at $47,500, then here in March 2019 at $42,500.

This was my car once upon a time -- the handwritten owner list in the ad has my name (1996-2004). There's also a picture in my signature below. When I got it the metalwork had been done (decent, not great), the interior was an ungodly mess, and the very tired 36hp engine barely ran. The transmission was almost worn out. I had it gone through by my mechanic, had it painted (cheaply but decently), then upholstered with a kit from Lenny Copp (couldn't get correct fabric then). It looked great from 10 feet, and ran okay, sort of. After a couple of years I decided to put a 1600 in it so I could drive it on the highway. I drove it very happily that way for several years. It looked great, drove great, but was in no way whatsoever an authentic restoration, and I never pretended it was. I won't say what I sold it for in early 2004, but it was stupid cheap and less than I had in it.........

Obviously someone has since replaced my 1600 with an original 25hp, but otherwise it appears to be as it was 20 years ago when I drove it regularly -- only now with some significant additional wear and tear. (I never had the slightest issue with brakes, for example.)

It was a fun car for what I paid for it (under $10K before restoration) but $80K is beyond a stretch!!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

wow, I hate to beat a dead horse apparently Laughing

but 79 thousand for that car is insane.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

This look like it's unrestorable to me:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2491216

$295? No. Maybe something super cheap just to throw on the garage wall for display
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Well, if it were the last piece on earth, MAYBE an attempt could be made to restore.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Good luck on these
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2495136
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

For 500 euro I'd expect an attempt at cleaning them up even with NOS being claimed
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

nos yet split from being lifted off the floor stud?

oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

I always forget this is the whine thread. Always doubting. Those mats look 70-year-old NOS to me. Why the split hole? Probably someone tried to test fit them and found out the hard way. That makes them damaged, but I wouldn't say they're used. The ribs are unworn. There's an ancient parts tag--but I suppose that could be faked if you're a real skeptic. As for cleaning, most NOS buyers prefer things as-found, and gently do it themselves as they think best.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

wow! Shocked
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2506560

"Matching number car when it's done?"

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Jump to:
Page 151 of 157

Jump to: