Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Before using the Torque Meister
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

Before I use the torque meister along with the torque wrench, there is a reading on the meister stating what ft-lb you should set your torque wrench at. How does the torque Meister take the length of the torque wrench in to account? All torque wrenches vary in length and size.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

The difference in wrench length doesn't matter. It is taken into account when they calibrate the scale of your particular wrench.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

I see. thank you
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

You'll have to calculate the ratio of the TM and divide the required torque by that.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

Just use the chart they provide does not matter what size torque wrench you use although a 3/8" is more than enough.

Last edited by busman78 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking as well. Going off memory, on the actual tool, it's stamped in. I think it says for 230ft lbs, set the torque wrench at 25ft lbs. If I remember correctly
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

The TM uses a 9:1 ratio.
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

Chart? I got a used one anyone got a copy of the chart?
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

Dake wrote:

Chart? We don't need no stinking chart. LoL.

I didn't have a torquemeister but knew the castle nut needed 240 foot pounds of torque. So one of my buddies weighs pretty darn close to 240 lbs. I marked the 1 foot point on my breaker bar and told him "stand here." Then to get the holes lined up on the axle I said "OK, now bounce a little...little more...little more....bingo."

It's not scientific, but it worked perfectly. No torquemeister or chart required. I don't know how that would translate into how much a person would have to weigh to stand on a breaker bar on a torquemeister. If you knew the ratio, you could figure it out.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

Dake wrote:

If it's 9:1 divide the required torque by 9 and the result is what you crank on the TM to. 27.7 foot lbs for a 250 lb axle nut for example. You might need an inch pound wrench for lower numbers.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

I’d be happy to make a chart.

$10 each, or $15 laminated! Laughing
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

I’ve seen this 9x ratio stated in many places, but that is misleading.

It is 9x only for 109teeth flywheels.

For std 12v flywheels of 130 teeth, the ratio is 10.8 (130/12). Torque reading should be 23.4 lb-ft

For the axle nut - the sector gear provided has 24 teeth for 90deg of sector (the actual sector is a bit more than 90 and has 29 teeth. The small gear has 14 teeth. So the ratio is 6.86x (24x4/14). 253 lb-ft = 37 lb-ft on the torque wrench.

This is based on the version I bought about 14 years ago.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

Don’t use these things. Get a good breaker bar in 24 inch so you can feel the threads as you torque, and thus be aware of your work.

This is a non critical torque. It needs to be tight enough to stay on, and not too tight to deform the fastener. This range of torque is huge.

Using body weight and a bar is an excellent approach. It is funny reading people getting their panties in a bunch over trying to get the exact torque when you advance it to the next hole, which is a huge change in torque.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

I received the Torque Tool (from Chirco in Tucson) a couple of years ago as a gift from Mrs. Cusser. It has the torque settings on it.

Funny - haven't had need to try this yet !!!

In the past, I just used a 4-foot pipe on a 1/2 inch Craftsman breaker bar with a 36mm socket. Later on I borrowed the 250 ft lb torque wrench from O'Reilly.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Before using the Torque Meister Reply with quote

I got one of these off ebay for £70-odd a few years ago. The guy didn't know what he had.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's rated for just under 2,000ft/lb output Laughing Confused

Retail price new:- around £900.00 Shocked

It's a bit clumsy but deals with flywheel gland nuts and rear axle nuts with ease.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: