Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

Just recieved my $400+ Fast Fab nose cone from rancho transaxels. Poor quality control, it's been dropped on one of the ears, there is an area of metal that is puckard up on the lip of the nose. Is this nose cone machined parts that are held on by a Allen head screw? Very disappointed and returning item, can't believe a $400+ part would go out of a shop like that.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

the dinged mounting ear is annoying, but not really a functional issue.

I searched, and found multiple different photos showing the little raised section that you mention is puckered up. Is it a hole into the inside of the nosecone? Looks like how they are machined

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

What did Fast Fab / Rancho say about it when you called them?

Or did you just go off on them and post this stuff here to make yourself feel whole? You do know that humans made it and packed it, right?

Because if you are presenting only one side of the story- history here has proven you will influence exactly as many people as your gripe deserves.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

Thanks sled.... for the pictures they look exactly like the one I recieved. I know the bump on the ear doesn't affect anything I could just file off the back of the ear flush. So I guess the nose cone area is machined parts that are just sandwiched together and pulled tight with a Allen head screw, from what it appears? Yes I was upset to spend that kind of money for a product that looked like this Mr hitest........haven't heard from Rancho concerning product. THERE still needs to be someone inspecting parts when sending out products.
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

sled wrote:
the dinged mounting ear is annoying, but not really a functional issue.

I searched, and found multiple different photos showing the little raised section that you mention is puckered up. Is it a hole into the inside of the nosecone? Looks like how they are machined

Yes it is a hole....
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

Just spoke to some rude person at Rancho....from his response there made in three pieces and sandwiched together with an Allen head screw pulling them tight, and the raised metal area with the hole, there all like that.... He said he had a box full of them and they don't make the.part send it back if you don't like it.....glad I didn't order one of there tranny's, was on the fence post. Sorry Mr hitest....yes not happy with the part. I would imagine there alot of torque on that nose cone that's not a solid billet piece....just pieced together held with Allen head screw. I know it would take a larger block of metal to fabricate such a part to be one piece.....but guess it's about saving money...just saying Mr hitest
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

just too high strung Smile

Link

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

Madcap! To be fair VW people are notoriously cheap. Even at $400 I feel like that’s going to keep a ton of people away. I can’t imagine the cost of a single milled piece. Plus it’s a narrow conversion market anyway. So it’s necessary to actually bring the product to market that people will buy.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
Just spoke to some rude person at Rancho....from his response there made in three pieces and sandwiched together with an Allen head screw pulling them tight, and the raised metal area with the hole, there all like that.... He said he had a box full of them and they don't make the.part send it back if you don't like it.....glad I didn't order one of there tranny's, was on the fence post. Sorry Mr hitest....yes not happy with the part. I would imagine there alot of torque on that nose cone that's not a solid billet piece....just pieced together held with Allen head screw. I know it would take a larger block of metal to fabricate such a part to be one piece.....but guess it's about saving money...just saying Mr hitest

I'd just strip the anodizing off and find a buddy to TIG up the joints of the pieces. Viola! strong as hell.

but I agree, it is a costly item and should not need further improvements.

(although for stock and mild engines I'm sure it is plenty strong..and a performance engine should have a mid-mount installed anyway)
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

You should definitely run a mid mount when using this type of nose cone with any abuse or horsepower. They're a weak point that's why VW upgraded the front mount in 10/52 for Beetles and 1958 for buses.

BTW, make sure you check your rear toe alignment after installing this, I've heard of several buses having severe toe-in issues with this style of adapter nose cone (not sure which brand)
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

Yeah probably need to run the mid mount, and considering tig/gas welding. I did check with Rancho before purchase, and they said it puts the tranny in the right location, and the tow was perfect. I have the wagenwest lolipop conversation now, but it's still to rigid and noisy for my liking. I have put off buying this part forever, along with a 68 beetle tranny to lower my swivel seat. I have a ton of money in my bus, and still have a long way to go.
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

finally married to new IRS tranny.....hope to get installed when my bus is through with body and paint
1963 Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

Fast Fab nose cones -

First of all, we stand behind all of our products and this is the first time I have seen this thread. The claim that our product is held together with a bolt is not the truth. We machine this in two parts because the design would be very difficult and much higher priced in a one piece design. If we felt a one piece part was required we would have gone that direction.

We machine the parts, then they are put into a press for assembly. the top section presses in 1" deep with a .003" interference, then we use a single bolt as secondary insurance only.

Why buy it? because we spent the time to build a product that does not fail, puts the motor and transmission in the factory position without binding up all the mounts etc.. I dont know of any other product made that does all that.

We have sold hundreds now without issue, and look forward to helping many more customers in the future.

All the best,
Robert Taylor
Fast Fab Mfg.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

1963 Rag wrote:
Fast Fab nose cones -

First of all, we stand behind all of our products and this is the first time I have seen this thread. The claim that our product is held together with a bolt is not the truth. We machine this in two parts because the design would be very difficult and much higher priced in a one piece design. If we felt a one piece part was required we would have gone that direction.

We machine the parts, then they are put into a press for assembly. the top section presses in 1" deep with a .003" interference, then we use a single bolt as secondary insurance only.

Why buy it? because we spent the time to build a product that does not fail, puts the motor and transmission in the factory position without binding up all the mounts etc.. I dont know of any other product made that does all that.

We have sold hundreds now without issue, and look forward to helping many more customers in the future.

All the best,
Robert Taylor
Fast Fab Mfg.

thanks for replying! is the damage above in the first post considered to be normal?
RanchoParts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
Thanks sled.... for the pictures they look exactly like the one I recieved. I know the bump on the ear doesn't affect anything I could just file off the back of the ear flush. So I guess the nose cone area is machined parts that are just sandwiched together and pulled tight with a Allen head screw, from what it appears? Yes I was upset to spend that kind of money for a product that looked like this Mr hitest........haven't heard from Rancho concerning product. THERE still needs to be someone inspecting parts when sending out products.
Mike from Rancho here. Sorry about the way you were treated. I would not be happy receiving a product like that either.

I just want to let you know the nose cone was not designed to be used without a mid brace. That mount set up is for 36hp not a 100hp plus.

If anyone has a problem with any of our products or ones that sell from other suppliers please contact me. Mike Herbert [email protected]

PS Johnny I will help you anyway I can.

Thanks
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

RanchoParts wrote:
JohnnyRingo wrote:
Mike from Rancho here. Sorry about the way you were treated. I would not be happy receiving a product like that either.

I just want to let you know the nose cone was not designed to be used without a mid brace. That mount set up is for 36hp not a 100hp plus.

If anyone has a problem with any of our products or ones that sell from other suppliers please contact me. Mike Herbert [email protected]

Thanks
Mike

What about with a 1600?
Do you still suggest a mid-mount with a 1600, a very common motor?
Does the fast fab manufacturer recommend a mid mount with a 1600?

I have not heard of anyone doing a tunnelcase tranny swap into an 4/59 or earlier bus and using a 36hp with it. If you're rocking a 36hp you're probably into og and want that sweet sound of the straight cut gears, and not want to mess with the tranny conversion.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

Clara - there is a 36hp race class. I think that's related. 36hp racing on a big nut trans. Big 36 is nice and that's kinda a dream of mine. Big 36hp big nut trans early double cab 😍

I'd trade in all my chips for that 🤣
RanchoParts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
RanchoParts wrote:
JohnnyRingo wrote:

Thanks
Mike
Hi Clara

Even with a 1600 you should use a mid brace. Fast recommends this too.

Mike
What about with a 1600?

I have not heard of anyone doing a tunnelcase tranny swap into an 4/59 or earlier bus and using a 36hp with it. If you're rocking a 36hp you're probably into og and want that sweet sound of the straight cut gears, and not want to mess with the tranny conversion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Fab Rancho Nose Cone Reply with quote

RanchoParts wrote:
Clara wrote:
RanchoParts wrote:
JohnnyRingo wrote:

Thanks
Mike

What about with a 1600?

Hi Clara

Even with a 1600 you should use a mid brace. Fast recommends this too.

Mike

fixed the post for you

Is the recommendation for a mid mount because the part they make is weak and prone to issues? or just a CYA?
Is the mid mount use spelled out in the ad for this front mount?

What I am interested in is feedback on this part after extended use? say 5K miles later?

Replacing a nose cone is a bit of a hassle.

FWIW, my first split bus was a 59 split case bus with 1500, daily driver/only car for 3 years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: