Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

Hey all,

Now that my boys are not babies anymore and I upgraded my garage space, my '72 STD Bug is going to get attention again. I am very excited to be back browsing these forums after a good 10 years. I see a lot has not changed which is very refreshing. A lot of the same folks out there. My bug has been sitting in PPG primer, doors off, and all a mess of parts but the good part is the chassis is complete.

To get the ball rolling again and give myself some motivation I ordered up myself a 2276cc from Mofoco with all the options! The build is about 5-6 months out so that gives me some time to get the old '72 ready.

Wish me luck and I will post some pictures as my progress moves along.

Cheers all!
ac509
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

good luck!

i can't wait to see pictures. we love pictures.

No one questions a 73' Volkswagen?
I have a '73 Volkswagen and it is nowhere near 73' long!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

Welcome back to the VW world, and being motivated to be active again. Have you decided on the carburetion for the 2276, and overall characteristics: torquey or high power, etc? Wise preparations for your '72 would be front disc brakes and a tachometer.
mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

I am going to do Weber 48 IDAs on the 2276. I would like to have a high power street bug to zip around in. I don't car about gas mileage or if I have to tweak the engine every once and awhile. I basically said screw it and added every option on Roy's website with 1.4 rockers.

I had high hopes of building it myself but I just need it done right. I may rebuild my old stock motor to mess around on and have this one done professionally.

I have Gia disc brakes on it and I think they should be ok still. All they did was sit on the chassis in a garage for 13 years Smile Some surface rust is all.

I will get some pics posted later this month or early June of current status. I am in the process of moving houses so everything is in disarray.

some old pics of chassis:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

old chassis pics

mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

and....for entertainment purposes, this is what it looks like now!

embarrassed but life happens.

Now I just want to get it drivable. I don't care what it looks like.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

Looks like a neglected project. For sure.
But your plans to resurrect it are good too.

Has the trans been beefed up? If not. But plan on driving the car hard. The trans break pretty easy.
I have a 2180 and it didn't take much to break the side gears during a hard launch. Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

There are many misc. parts that were bought and installed. I am in the process of trying to remember what those are and going through receipts.

The transmission installed currently is one I bought from aircooled.net in '07. The description on my receipt is: Pro Street Transmission 4.125, Super Beetle

I can't remember why it says Super Beatle. Also, I think 4.125 is what I want but I am refreshing my memory on all these stats and such.

The transmission has never seen a motor mounted to it.

I still have my original transmission as well.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

IRS trans will fit either a standard or SB. From the doors back there's really no difference between the two.

Pro street will do. Also the Kafer bar setup will help some in stiffening up the drive line.

Perhaps you can update your avatar to indicate where you are located. Sometimes when folks get stuck/stumped. A local enthusiast can lend a hand in sorting an issue.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

Thanks for the support. I updated my location. I used to be in Minneapolis but now moved to Hudson,WI. This is one of the reasons I choose Mofoco. I will be able to pick up my engine and meet the team building it.

I wanted to start this thread just in case I needed some help putting humpty dumpty back together again.
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

I win Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

This is how to stuff a buggie full Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool Cool

What year is it??? Question Question Question Can you spot the clue Question Question Question
mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

Hahaha, that does make me feel a little better Smile

1959? I see the semaphore.
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

Close...you got the clue Smile Smile Smile Cool Cool Cool

The next project, if I can get in out Smile Smile Cool Cool
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

fredybear wrote:
Close...you got the clue Smile Smile Smile Cool Cool Cool

The next project, if I can get in out Smile Smile Cool Cool

I was gonna guess 55 or earlier, but not cuz of the semaphore. The notch in the b pillar just next to the semaphore is the real clue there 😉
mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

Adding some current pics for anyone that wants to see them

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

That's a hell of a garage upgrade! Looks good, keeping at it is the only way it will get done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
That's a hell of a garage upgrade! Looks good, keeping at it is the only way it will get done.

Thank you very much, I could not be happier!
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

Nice garage space. I suppose there is some sort of living quarters attached? And somewhere to prepare food? Priorities. Was that Marina Blue when you started out? My '73 bug started out a shell too, Took 53 weeks to build from when i brought it home on a trailer to first drive. Think you can beat that? Laughing

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
Nice garage space. I suppose there is some sort of living quarters attached? And somewhere to prepare food? Priorities. Was that Marina Blue when you started out? My '73 bug started out a shell too, Took 53 weeks to build from when i brought it home on a trailer to first drive. Think you can beat that? Laughing

Mike T

Living quarters are in the house next to this extra 3 car garage. I was lucky enough to have a 2 car attached to the house. That is the Wife's garage. My garage has 500 sq ft unfinished 2nd floor. Future lounge area someday.

Bug was Marina Blue to start. I am still undecided on final color. I have a few ideas but pictures only. I need to track down some PPG codes.

My engine is set to be ready later this year so I hope to work quick to get this thing back on the road in Spring.

I plan to get all the chassis work soon, get the body bolted back on, then get this thing sprayed before it gets too cold. Electrical and interior will happen over winter and then hopefully drive time.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Back after 10 years, finally adding 2276cc engine. Reply with quote

nice dog... Wink garage is ok Confused but wont stay that way.... Wink getter done!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: