Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need opinions on tires for rally oval
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Need opinions on tires for rally oval Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I recently picked up this '56 oval that was raced in the La Carrera Panamericana back in the 90's. I'm slowly going through everything and bringing it up to snuff. The wide 5 chromies were beyond polishing out, so I bit the bullet and bought a set of the Mangel knockoffs in a painted silver.

Wheels will be 5.5 in the back and 4.5 in the front. Here's where I need some opinions. I'm torn about which route to go with the tires. The car will probably see the occasional spirited driving through winding hilly roads here on the weekends, but won't be a track car by any stretch. I know there have been some pretty substantial gains in tire technology as well. My first thought was to run Vredestein 185/70s in the back and 165s up front. I dig the rally-esque look of these tires, and I know a lot of Porsche guys run them with great success. Only downside is how pricey they are. They look the part, but I'm curious whether there are some better options out there at a fraction of the cost. Ideas? Car is currently running 165s on all 4 corners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the Michelin XZXs. They're a beast to find and are pricey, but it's a good tire and has a period look to it.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the michelins and the Vredesteins, I gotta say I like these better...

http://www.cokertire.com/185hr15-vredestein-sprint-classic.html

I was more looking for a debate on whether or not I should switch to a more contemporary sizing, which might give me a better "footprint" on the asphalt so to speak. I know a lot of the cal-look guys are switching from 135-15s to some of the newer sizes made for smart cars and what not...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a couple hours of searching, I've decided to just go 5.5" all the way around with 185/65-15s on all 4 corners. Should give me a close to factory sidewall height, with a little more rubber on the road. Car isn't lowered, so rubbing shouldn't be an issue. 185s fall well into the range of recommended width of the rim size. I'll post pics when they're on...
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need opinions on tires for rally oval Reply with quote

You stated some years back you had sent for the birth certificate, do you mind sharing that info? Just curious of the origination of your car..thanks
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: