Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torque Multiplier tool not fitting?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

I started the process of replacing the axle seals today and I cannot figure out how this tool is supposed to work. Seems it's just a hair too short or something.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks in advance!
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

I think you have the wrong rotating gear on there, it should have come with two gears.
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

The other gear is way too big to work. I thought of that too but no luck. I'll try again.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/XeoVA3dDSnM

https://youtu.be/MXUr8-bsTbQ

It can be a little fiddly to get it started, but once you figure it out, it’s by far the best tool to remove and torque rear axle nuts and flywheel nuts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

The only way I can get it to fit is by flipping the tool around but then there's no way so get a socket on.
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

I think it's bent!? I put a straightedge next to it and it's obviously not true. This would explain why it fits on backwards but not in a way it's actually useful as a tool.

Is there someone that sells a decent version of this? We ordered from cip.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Yup, sure looks bent. Can you heat it up and straighten it out? Any idea how that happened? First time I have seen that.
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

It's a giant hunk of cast iron. I'm not going to even try to get it hot enough to straighten it.

I'm gonna see if they can exchange it with one that's straight.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Rebop wrote:
I'm gonna see if they can exchange it with one that's straight.

It's not suitable for the purpose intended. They have to exchange or refund it it by law; law of merchantability.
https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Warranty+of+merchantability
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Their advice was to slot or drill the mounting holes a bit larger. I might try that. They also said this is a common issue but that it's usually bent in the opposite way that the teeth do not engage enough. If someone could make one of these with some decent QC that would be awesome!

I just want to get this done and I don't want to wait weeks for an exchange now that I think about it. On the other hand, if I modify it as they suggested and it still doesn't work, I would likely be out of luck with an exchange or refund.

I'm gonna sleep on it. If I end up modifying it and it works I'll update with photos of the process for anyone that has this issue in the future. It's a shame. This thing was over $100 and now I gotta fool around with it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Is this a Torque Meister or a clone? QC was bad for some for a while.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281232

Get it in an email that they recommend slotting holes, and that your warranty will not be voided by this modification. They can't sell this to another sucker customer, so it is no real loss for them if you mess it up... they owe you a working tool.

If you just bought it, maybe better to find a friend with one (or an impact or other tool), and cancel this purchase on your credit card.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu May 13, 2021 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this a Torque Meister or a clone?

To my knowledge they're all clones now. KYMCO stopped making them a long time ago.
Russ1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Bummer.
I got one from them a couple of years ago and it works perfectly.
Send it back for a replacement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Take it to anyone (garage, machine shop or a friend) who has a 20 ton press. It is a slight bend and likely with a bit of pressure, it will bend the other way. I would try that before enlarging any holes.

FWIW, I bought one from CIP and it works fine for axle nuts and gland nut.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Got to find one of the original ones, the knock off was never as good as the original from the 90"s. It was called the Torque Meister. They were more expensive but night and day difference. Gone now because of the cheap copies killed them.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AoxoMoxoA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Should the part which bolts to the hub be flipped around, so the geared portion sits more outward from the hub?
There is a flanged portion of that part on one side.
Have that side outward?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Socket, 3/4 inch breaker and long pipe. Works very well and cheap
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

AoxoMoxoA wrote:
Should the part which bolts to the hub be flipped around, so the geared portion sits more outward from the hub?
There is a flanged portion of that part on one side.
Have that side outward?

No, the part that bolts to the drum will only fit the early 5-lug drums one way. You can see it in this pic:

Note that the inner part of the bolt-on plate is cut away to clear the beveled part near the center of the early drum. If you were to flip the plate over the inner holes of the plate will contact the beveled part of the drum before the outer part does and force the plate to tilt so it no longer sits flat against the mounting flange. The above is the only way the plate can mount to the 5-lug drums.

I like the idea of opening the holes in the plate some. My Torque Tool is a very snug fit as if the holes are not exactly the same spacing as the lug holes in the drum. I can force the lug bolts to start threading, but always felt the holes were not drilled correctly. This thread has me leaning towards opening up at least the holes on one edge to allow a easier fit. Once the plate is bolted snug to the flange face the stress is applied in an attempt to shear the lug bolts. So as long as the log bolts are in good condition the loose holes are not a big deal
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

I don't even know how I'm going to enlarge these holes. It's 1/2" thick cast steel with 1/2" holes. I guess I could try to use a slightly larger drill bit and take small bites with some oil added to cool and lube. I feel like I only need a millimeter of material removed to get the teeth to mesh. It's so close.
If I had a drill press here it would be a lot easier.

Maybe I can modify the bolts that mount it. That would be a lot easier. The top half doesn't need threads. Hmmm...
Russ1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Multiplier tool not fitting? Reply with quote

Do you have a rat-tail file?
How about a Dremel?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: