Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Ghia Engine Questions / Need some help reconnecting stuff
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Potholesinmylawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: 1974 Ghia Engine Questions / Need some help reconnecting stuff Reply with quote

So about 5 years ago I went to change my fuel pump and some other things and discovered I had bigger issues like rust holes and stuff in the floor pan.. and got side track.

So now I have no clue where stuff reconnects.

I looked for an Engine diagram but I could find anything solid as I don't know what type of motor it is.

In these pictures I have notice some things are not connected

I now would like to know where hoses go. Sad
and where some plugs go.

This plugs was unplugged so I plugged it in on the gold thing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This hose on the back of the carb, Is that where the Fuel Line from the Pump go?

vacuum?

vacuum if so where does this go?

This Hardline is this fuel?

Another shot of the hard line

So thanks for taking time to look at this post. If you have any information
I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

[/img]
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ghia Engine Questions / Need some help reconnecting stuff Reply with quote

The fuel line on the top of the carb goes to the fuel pump. The gold colored thing.

The hard line goes to your distributor vacuum advance. Search Sheppard's hook.

I believe the egr hooks up to the back of the carb, the side closest to you as your looking at it. It has a plugged piece of vacuum line on it now. I just removed that from my engine, and made a block off plate.
Potholesinmylawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ghia Engine Questions / Need some help reconnecting stuff Reply with quote

Thank you SOO much for this info! I really appreciate it!!
Hopefully I will get her started up again this weekend. Love the sound of this car!

Again Many Many Thanks!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ghia Engine Questions / Need some help reconnecting stuff Reply with quote

This photo should also help with some details. It's an original engine in a '74 Beetle that had only 31,000 miles; engine would be mostly the same as your Ghia except for the different style air cleaner.

-Make certain that you replace the fuel hose between your carburetor and fuel pump. Your hose remnant that is coming off the top of the carb has a tear in the end, which happens from age and from the crap ethanol fuel.
-The "white" plastic fuel filter between the "gold thing" fuel pump and the carb is not a stock part. This is a typical installation location but is not ideal because if a fuel leak develops, fuel can drip down onto the top of your distributor which carries high voltage to the spark plugs. On your engine, just get an approx. 1' long piece of ethanol-resistant fuel hose and don't use a filter.
-That strange small metal canister above your fuel pump is not the same as the one in the Beetle, which does not have a hose nipple on top.
-Your distributor has a differently shaped silver "biscuit" than the Beetle's engine. The Beetle's has another vacuum hose going off a nipple on the front side (front = towards front of the car).
-The "shepard's hook" pipe is correctly positioned on the Beetle engine, in that the hook's loop points upwards. Some people mistakenly position the hook upside-down whcih is not good. The hook is purposely bent so that the top bend is higher than the carburetor so that any fuel vapors coming out of the carb nipple do not travel downhill thru the pipe and get into the "biscuit". That biscuit contains a rubber membrane for vacuum advance and retard.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: