Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86 Vanagon hose concern
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westypnw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: 86 Vanagon hose concern Reply with quote

Note the missing hose, after purchasing I took in the 86 Vanagon to be checked out specifically due to this, I ended up getting a tune up with new spark plugs, belts, wires, and supposedly the hose fixed. Picked up the Vanagon after almost a $700 bill. Figured all good, reputable mechanic, just pulled up the engine cover and no hose, now it’s obviously there for a reason, so why wouldn’t it be replaced, doesn’t that hose protect the engine from debris and dirt? Should I even drive the van now?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Vanagon hose concern Reply with quote

Which of the two missing hoses are you asking about?

The big hose that should connect to the rear of the air filter housing allows air to be sucked in from the top of the rear pillar of the van where it would be expected to be cooler and less dusty than if sucked in from your engine compartment (as is your current situation). You could still drive the van without that hose but your air filter will likely get a lot more dirty quicker than it should. It's the filter, not the hose, that protects your engine from dirt.

You can find a replacement hose at a car parts store and install it in two minutes. There's nothing special about that hose, just find one that fits. Mine doesn't even have any clamps to hold it in place.

I'm more curious about that barbed fitting that's attached to the top of the filter housing. My van doesn't have that and I can't imagine what it's for but maybe there was a change sometime between your van (86) and mine (91).

Oh, and $700 for a tune up with the limited number of parts you described sounds insane. Unless there was more work done than what you mentioned, maybe look around for a different mechanic.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Vanagon hose concern Reply with quote

3 hours x $140 an hour adds up quick. The intake assembly is missing 2 sections that are not something you’d likely have in stock. The section between the housing and the pillar filler and from the pillar fender to the snorkel in the outer side vent. You can by regular duct hose from Pegasus auto racing. I don’t recall the ID. Buy the orange hose. It’s more expensive but holds up. You may have to adapt the end that attaches to the snorkel. Removing the tail light and vent grill give you access. What you have is fine for the moment. Just not ideal. It’s possible the barb fitting on the air cleaner connected to the charcoal canister. Note, if this is a syncro, your missing the dust trap.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Vanagon hose concern Reply with quote

Be aware that if you do connect back up to the intake tube in the RIght Rear pillar, that paper tube may be rotted and collapsed.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Vanagon hose concern Reply with quote

The little elbow on top of the air filter can is missing a cap. And your air filter is what protects the engine from dust and debris.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: