Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What turbo? Something a little different...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

So, after getting rid of all my aircooled stuff, I picked up another VW engine to mess with.

Link

Its an ALH TDI with a landrover injection pump. I dumped the VNT turbo for a GT15 from an AHU. The plan is to mod the governor in the IP to get a bit more RPM out of it (the landrover has a lower redline than the VW) and possibly some injector nozzles.

But sadly the GT15 turbo is on its last leg... Firing it up just before this video clip it PUKED oil everywhere. So now the plan is to replace it, and since I need to buy another, it might be better to get a different one.

This engine is going into a Suzuki Samurai, hence the odd transmission. Due to limited gearing options, I would be running it at about 2700 RPM for cruise at 60MPH and am a bit concerned the little turbo on it is going to be a bit restrictive at that RPM raising the EGT. I'd like to keep the same underslung manifold if possible. High RPM horsepower is not a concern here, he factory 110 HP is nearly double the engine its replacing.

So with that said, is there a good alternative that I can keep mounted low as seen here? Or is another GT15 the best option? I have one of the KKK turbos and manifold, but it make the exhaust routing a pain sitting over the manifold rather than under it.

The Samurai build thread if anyone is interested https://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=137749.0
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

Maybe try one off a subaru..... Or throw a garrett 3582 and hang on!!😁😁
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

I might need another ALH or two to spool that one up! Razz
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

BUMP! Is there anyone knowledgeable on TDI swapped vans? It seems to be fairly common for the vanagon and other watercooled veedubs. I also have some concerns about the injection pump timing and junk like that. As for the turbo, the project is going to be ready to drive in a couple weeks and a turbo is still needed. I'm eyeing a k03/k04 hybrid from Kerma TDI. A larger turbo would help on the street to lower EGTs, but the near instant boost of the gt15 is going to be ideal offroad. I've seen a few posts on TDIclub forums a while ago and the poster was about ran off the forum because hr didn't use the electronic pump and VNT turbo. They seem like a friendly bunch. Laughing So I figured I'd ask here and see if any info turns up.

One thing to note is the upper radiator hose now runs on the turbo side of the engine. It somewhat limits the size and placement of the turbo I can run.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It turns out that an ALH was not meant to fit into a Japanese offroader. Who would have guessed? There were a lot of changes needed to fix the issues that popped up.

Motor mounts, coolant lines, hood clearance, radiator, drag link, axle clearance, accessory drive mods...... the list is long.

A few pics of the parts that had to be built to stuff that engine into that vehicle.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

Looks like a fun project! Personally I would have stuck with the stock injection pump and turbo and get it running properly with that before considering mods. Then change one thing at a time and see what the effects are.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

The two things I have to offer up are this:

That is a GREAT engine. I ran two of them to 300k, one in an MK4 golf and one in an MK4 Jetta. Sold both cars running. If I could go back in time and buy a practical car, I'd go get a 2001 Golf TDI 5 speed. Greatest econo-daily ever made.

The hot topic on the Van swap stuff I keep seeing is the split between the Pagans and the Devout Followers of the Sacred Transmission Builders-Church of the Shattered Gear Saints

In summary, diesels beat the crap out of transaxles, several of which already have distinct known weak points. If you shovel a pile of cash into said transaxle, it can last a good bit longer with a diesel, but NEVER as long as a gasser driven in a similar manner making the same power. If you know anything about fatique analysis, especially related to how torque pulsations from a diesel would accelerate failures of bearings, gears, and shafts, you know the Pagans are right and the Followers just want to believe that everything is gonna be allrighty. As usual in life, everything is most certainly not gonna be allrighty.

One thing I have had trouble arguing that I am unquestionably right about, is that for the types of failures that happen in a transaxle, on occasion the diesel coupled ones MAY outlast a gasser-backed transaxle in the same situation. What is GUARANTEED is that the failures of a transaxle coupled to a diesel that wasn't designed for a diesel will be much less predictable. For example, you may keep feeding transaxles to a gasser making the same power every 150k or so, within a few thousand miles. A Diesel making the same power may kill one at 20k the first time due to a stress riser in a gear tooth, the next one might last 170k, and the next one might last 30k. That's how fatigue works. Higher stress amplitudes magnify the "risk areas" and potential failure points, and make them less predictable.

In summary? Use a hella heavy flywheel, soft clutch, or better yet a dual-mass flywheel (like the stock one!) AND a torsional input shaft if you can get one. Soften the blows to the transmission, you'll thank me.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Looks like a fun project! Personally I would have stuck with the stock injection pump and turbo and get it running properly with that before considering mods. Then change one thing at a time and see what the effects are.

I would have if I could have... Sadly only the engine was available and was planning on buying the rest. Then the junkyard I had scoped out crushed ALL 5 of the compatible cars.... After looking for about 2 years for decently priced parts I gave up and bought the landrover pump.

jimmyhoffa wrote:
In summary? Use a hella heavy flywheel, soft clutch, or better yet a dual-mass flywheel (like the stock one!) AND a torsional input shaft if you can get one. Soften the blows to the transmission, you'll thank me.

I ended up putting in a mucho larger transmission into this zuk solely for flywheel mass and trans strength. I'll probably build a custom bellhousing later to install a jeep AX15 transmission, but not today. Stock samurai transmissions tend to shatter the input shaft gear with these motors, and the clutches can't take the abuse. the damper springs fatigue and shatter, as well as it just plain slips. So, it got a sidekick transmission, custom trans tunnel, and the sidekick transfercase got chopped up and turned into a 4.24:1 underdrive for rock crawling.

One option i've been weighing is to run a mechanically controlled VNT turbo. There is a gizmo called a Dawes Device that uses a bleed of some sort to overcome the vacuum sent to the actuator to regulate boost pressure. The one concern I have with this is it tries to make full boost constantly, but it also seems that this little GT15 will be doing the same, so is there really any drawback?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

Now youre on the right track Cool
Use a VNT with mechanical variable control. You just need to fabricate a spring holder and then figure out how much spring strength it needs to hold the vanes in low position. Remember, you would want a spring that initially looks a little long. But doing that will make the transition smoother.I helped build a decent 2 liter gasoline turbo engine where we used a slightly modded VNT GT2052. We used the VNT for the exact reason to get more, and faster low rpm boost. We played around with springs and lengths for an entire spring (mod and try for a week mod and try again) the engine ended up being able to have 7psi boost at 2000 rpm yet still pull max at 5800.
Good set up.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

Absolutely, this is sweet. You've pretty much attacked everything I could think of then, at least the obvious stuff that'll get you to a fulfilling shakedown run so you can sort out whatever other bugs come along.

Torben, Agreed on the VNT. I had the stock 15 and then switched to a 17 on my ALH engine Golf but I liked them both. All that mumbo jumbo about them locking up from carbon is only if you're really lame and drive super slow everywhere. They stay clean with exercise, no problem. Both cars went to 300k miles without those issues.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

I Ride Sand wrote:
I would have if I could have... Sadly only the engine was available and was planning on buying the rest. Then the junkyard I had scoped out crushed ALL 5 of the compatible cars.... After looking for about 2 years for decently priced parts I gave up and bought the landrover pump.

Wow! I find this hard to take in! Around here there are literally hundreds of these cars in the wreckers, for sale in various venues and sitting in backyards. The bodies rust off them long before the engines expire. I could pick up the phone and have all the parts you need in about 3 minutes!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

use a twin scroll to spool up faster.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

supercharge it for instant power and torque
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What turbo? Something a little different... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I Ride Sand wrote:

Wow! I find this hard to take in! Around here there are literally hundreds of these cars in the wreckers, for sale in various venues and sitting in backyards. The bodies rust off them long before the engines expire. I could pick up the phone and have all the parts you need in about 3 minutes!

The demand for literally any diesel vehicle here is insane. An ALH TDI sells for $1000+ for the engine alone. Even the older 1.6 NA IDI engines sell for $600+ routinely if they run. A full car with 300k miles still sells for $3K if it runs. So when A car shows up at the junkyard they tend to get stripped pretty fast. The wiring harness is pretty easy to get, but the injection pumps are always gone or dead, and the computer is always just gone.

So, thats the drive to mechanical. The LR pump was 400 bucks shipped. So I bought it, and will be having Giles in canada rebuild it and tune it.

But anyway, I did get to fire the engine the other day!

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: