Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

June '68 Manx Period Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks you guys! I really appreciate it! I am deep into editing now. It is quite an adventure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Two become one!

A friend helped me pick up the body at my other garage in style.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was such a beautiful spring day, I decided to do the work outside.

And it is together! I need to finish bolting down later today but it is starting to look like a buggy now! My little helper approves.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

It's coming together nicely.
Kreelak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

looking fantastic

what are you using to attach the body to the pan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Kreelak wrote:
looking fantastic

what are you using to attach the body to the pan

Thanks! I am using the body mounting hardware kit from Meyers Manx and the original bug rectangular washers on the underside of the pan.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

It has been a bit slow going recently.

I finally got around to replacing one of my e-brake cables. I messed the last one up while shortening. I also put together my freshly restored Dietz 820's.

I had a bit of an issue with the wiring harness, and after struggling with it for more than a day, I ripped it back out. I am having Mike at Dune Buggy Brothers make me a custom harness now. I used his on my last buggy but I was itching to try something else...well now I have learned my lesson.

It has been so nice to be able to work outside!

parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Im loving your build. Thank you!

Did you modify the tail light housing to fit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

parmaynu wrote:
Im loving your build. Thank you!

Did you modify the tail light housing to fit?

Thank you!

No they are completely stock. I found a NOS pair and had them chromed. I did have to drill out the studs and replace with bolts, because the Manx body is much thicker than the bug. But otherwise you just tighten them down and they fit pretty flush with the seals!
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

The small things are so much fun! Put on the front badge and license plate today. Also got the dash squared away by test fitting the gauge and switches.

TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Wonderful build! Getting ready to restore a buggy myself soon.
I do have one small tip. Rotate the swing axle boots 90 deg as they were designed for. If you leave the seam upright it will crack the boot as it doesn’t flex when the axle comes up.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
Wonderful build! Getting ready to restore a buggy myself soon.
I do have one small tip. Rotate the swing axle boots 90 deg as they were designed for. If you leave the seam upright it will crack the boot as it doesn’t flex when the axle comes up.

It is on my list of things to fix but that list just keeps getting longer! haha

Thanks for reminding me!!
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Not much to report. I did get the NOS Lucas signals mounted today. And finally put on my registry tag. Progress! haha

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Progress is progress no matter how small. Looking good, won't be long and you will be taking it for a summer cruise.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Amazing work mate Cool
westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Popcorn

Support our troops. Not all injuries are visible ones.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I always feel like things come in bursts. Right now I am waiting on the wiring harness and after that a lot can get done quickly!

I did work on one project that has been on my list for a while. I fabricated the sheet metal panel that came with the kit to fill in under the license plate. It actually wasn't bad to make. Got my plates on as well!

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Looking good Caleb. Can't wait to see it done.
parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Would you mind sharing the dimensions of that rear plate? Does it fit to the licence plate studs?
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

parmaynu wrote:
Would you mind sharing the dimensions of that rear plate? Does it fit to the licence plate studs?

Yes, the top attached to the license plate studs!

Nelson gave me this info:

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Here are a couple better pictures.

The best way to mount the plate at the top is using the studs which mount the license plate light, it would save drilling holes in the body. However you would need to replace the original studs with longer ones. If you do use the license light studs to mount the stainless panel, when you fabricate the panel, you should ensure it's tall enough to extend up where the two lower license light mount studs will pass through it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: