Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Bubbles in Overflow Tank
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Bubbles in Overflow Tank Reply with quote

Don't forget oil temp sensors at every cylinder and in the pan, temp sensors at each brake rotor/drum, pitot tube for accurate speed reading, wideband sensors at each cylinder header, and replace the windshield with a giant LCD screen connected to 4 cameras facing forward.
smeeegheeead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Bubbles in Overflow Tank Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Don't forget oil temp sensors at every cylinder and in the pan, temp sensors at each brake rotor/drum, pitot tube for accurate speed reading, wideband sensors at each cylinder header, and replace the windshield with a giant LCD screen connected to 4 cameras facing forward.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Air Bubbles in Overflow Tank Reply with quote

Quote:
As mentioned, tightening worm gear hose clamps on new hoses a few times in the first year is something to be expected. I wouldn't knock the installer for that. Maybe for not suggesting that you may need to do a lap and give the screws a twist.

..and onthe Third day, the Creator made the oetiker clamp, and it was good...
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Bubbles in Overflow Tank Reply with quote

Actually I believe that was Mr. Hans Oetiker.
kaeferman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Bubbles in Overflow Tank Reply with quote

I just had a similar event to the OP. Thought I d share. Sorry if it’s long ...
I hope it’s helpful for others
Mine is an 84 tin too with a 2.1 running on a 1.9 cools t system and stock digijet FI.
10-4 on the pressure check annually, others have posted about the razor thin margin for error ‘designed’..?! into the system. I have just diagnosed a bad pressure cap too and three used caps I had hoarded away in my parts Tun were also Scheisse.
I first noticed that my overflow was full while checking the oil and then i saw bubbling from the cap overflow or blowoff hose. Actually first I had noticed a whiff of roasted coolant smell coming from my corner vents as I ‘d walk around the bus after parking it. That was the last few weeks actually. I could t find the ‘leak’, i never saw a puddle. Slowly the dash gauge stick would start to creep up as it sat at a longer traffic light. The rad fan wouldn’t kick on so I d turn on my heater fans ( I have both rear seat and dash working with new cores in them). Initially the heaters would move the temp gauge stick back to its spot but over the courses of several hours of driving this stopped being as effective and I noticed the heaters quit blowing heat, first with the front dash one and then eventually the rear even. I had by now started driving with one eye glued to the stick and LEd which, finally reared its ugly red flashing eye on a good long climb and steam started out the corner vents. I was pulled over as fast as humanly possible and there wasn’t much boiling so or geysering going on, so I let it cool, added coolant ( I always roll with a gallon of 50/50!) and was able to roadside purge well enough to get it home with no more LED or stick getting hot.
Back at the shop the cap was unable to hold pressure . I use a plugged tank and shrader valve setup to test and it wouldn’t hold 5 lbs. Bentley says 13-17 lbs. so I was losing coolant while under way by blowing out a faulty pressure cap and overflowing the overflow tank and gradually lost coolant until the radiator sensor couldn’t detect temp since there was not enough coolant in the radiator, and eventually even drained the heater cores before it overheated. Glad my gauges work and my big ass nose found the coolant smell or I wouldn t have detected the problem or started watching things. Wake up and pay attention or you ll pay for sure .. b
71 Squareback sold
70 Westfalia lost to fire by new owner
71 Super Beetle rolled/scrapped
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: