Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shorten stretched brake cable?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
I don't see a problem with cutting the threaded adjustment end shorter if need be.

If the cable is coming apart, shortening it wont fix the problem, get a new cable, you want both rear brakes to operate evenly. If they dont operate evenly when the emergency brake is used, a crash may result.

Bug On, with great brakes

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

I have this problem with the cable ends protruding thru the rubber cover of the handle. I had some good German spare cables and so I thought I'd swap out.

But, when I removed the right side cable (it was in good condition), I found it to be the exact same length as the new one. The dia of the new cable was in fact a bit smaller (2.8mm dia) vs. the old one (3.2mm dia).

My rear brake drum (original with 115K km) are at 231mm dia which is under the wear limit of 231.5. Pads were replaced not too long ago.

So, the lengthening of the cable could be attributable to the slightly larger drum size due to wear and perhaps the geometry of the new pads being slightly off?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
I have this problem with the cable ends protruding thru the rubber cover of the handle. I had some good German spare cables and so I thought I'd swap out.

But, when I removed the right side cable (it was in good condition), I found it to be the exact same length as the new one. The dia of the new cable was in fact a bit smaller (2.8mm dia) vs. the old one (3.2mm dia).

My rear brake drum (original with 115K km) are at 231mm dia which is under the wear limit of 231.5. Pads were replaced not too long ago.

So, the lengthening of the cable could be attributable to the slightly larger drum size due to wear and perhaps the geometry of the new pads being slightly off?

I ran into a similar situation while working on my rear brakes few years ago. After much deliberation (there's some old threads in here somewhere dealing with it), finally came to the conclusion that the issue was being caused by the dimensions and/or tolerances being off on either the new brake shoes, or the new drum cylinder pistons.

The issue was that with the drum cylinder pistons and brake shoes in their "resting" position (i.e. pistons fully retracted, and brake shoe tops resting against them), the tops of the brake shoes were still far enough apart where there was a small but noticeable gap between the brake shoes and the spreader bar (or "push bar") right below them. So to make the parking brake lever effective, the cables had to be adjusted / tightened to an excessive degree, mainly just to eliminate that initial gap between the shoes and spreader bar.

My solution was to file down the area of the brake shoes that make contact with the drum cylinder pistons. Didn't require much metal removed -- probably less than 0.050" or so off each shoe, IIRC. Once I had removed enough where it completely eliminated that initial gap between the brake shoes and the spreader bar, I was then able to adjust the emergency brake cables properly, without too much extra sticking out the other end and poking up into (or through) the rubber hand brake boot.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

I plan to try out that idea next. this issue is definitely not cable stretch. The new German cables I had were the same length. To get the brake set close to Bentley spec I am at the bottom of the adjustment. there was a couple of mm of gap at the spreader bar.

Will see if zi can fix it with ur approach. thanks!
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
I plan to try out that idea next. this issue is definitely not cable stretch. The new German cables I had were the same length. To get the brake set close to Bentley spec I am at the bottom of the adjustment. there was a couple of mm of gap at the spreader bar.

Will see if zi can fix it with ur approach. thanks!

Yeah, whenever you install new brake shoes or other parts, I'd definitely recommend checking to see if any gap exists between the spreader bar and the brake shoes (i.e. with emergency brake cable tension backed off all the way, and rest of brake system fully retracted and at rest). Just grab spreader bar with fingers and try to slide it forwards and backwards -- if you can feel any appreciable play, then you'll know that there's a gap there.

Some folks on here have said that that spreader bar is supposed to be acting as the stop for upper parts of the brake shoes when they are fully retracted (as opposed to the drum cylinder pistons acting as the stops, when completely bottomed out), and I tend to agree with them. Really don't think that there is supposed to be any sort of gap between the spreader bar and brake shoes, when the shoes are fully retracted.

And any gap between the spreader bar and brake shoes won't have to be very big to eat up a lot (or even all) of the approx. 1" available adjustment range for the emergency brake cable. If you look at how the emergency brake levers and linkages are set up in the brake drum area, you can see that the bottom of that one "lever piece" (i.e. where the emergency brake cable connects) needs to move forward approx. 0.500" or more just to close an initial 0.100" gap at the spreader bar -- that's how the system gives you the mechanical advantage to use the emergency hand brake in the first place. So any gaps or spaces in that system will require a lot of extra cable travel just to "take up the slack"...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

Instead of grinding the brake shoe, how about putting an insert into the slot on the spreader bar to take up the gap?

Say a 1mm strip of metal that is the width of the slot and bent into a U so that it does not fall off.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Instead of grinding the brake shoe, how about putting an insert into the slot on the spreader bar to take up the gap?

Say a 1mm strip of metal that is the width of the slot and bent into a U so that it does not fall off.

You could certainly give it a try. But IIRC, there are also corresponding slots in the brake shoes which mate up with the slots in the spreader bar. So your metal strip would need to be small enough not to interfere with top and bottom of slots in the brake shoes. I’d also be a little leery of pieces like that potentially shifting or falling out, and thus maybe causing interferences or jams in the system.

On the other hand, new brake shoes really aren’t all that expensive, so if you screw them up somehow, no big deal to replace and start over. Also, it’s relatively easy to file metal off the area in question — all you need is a flat file plus bit of finesse & patience. Remove a little metal at a time, and frequently refit / check the parts, until that gap between the spreader bar and brake shoes is sufficiently reduced or eliminated altogether.

68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

If i had read this thread before rebuilding my rear brakes i wouldn't have the too long e brake syndrome Brick wall
badufay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

Bringing this back to life... I am running into the same issue on my 76 Bus. The parking brake spreader is still very loose and can't adjust anymore. I've replaced the wheel cylinder (ATE), the shoes (ATE), the hardware, the cables, new drums, that measure to spec, and the parking brake spreader and arm (all aftermarket, but when compared with OE, they're the exact same.

I was thinking along the same lines as reducing the size of the notch in the spreader, but don't want to introduce the opportunity for the weld to break off or wear down quickly. I was thinking about fabricating a new spreader bar. Basically just notched steel slightly longer than the original. Do you guys think making a slightly longer spreader or shaving down the metal part of the shoe where it connects would be better?

Thanks,
Ben
Previous: 2015 Golf S TDI, 6 spd man; 2015 Jetta SE TDI, 6 spd man; 12 Jetta 2.5L, 04 Jetta 2.0L, 02 Golf 2.0L, 98 Jetta 2.0L, 98 Golf 2.0L, 98 Cabrio 2.0L, 95 Golf 2.0L, 87 golf GTI 16 valve 1.8L, 86 Cabriolet 1.6L, 80 Audi 4000 1.6L, 76 Audi Fox 1.6L, 76 VW Beetle 1.6L, 74 Audi Fox 1.5L, 69 VW Beetle 1.5L
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

badufay wrote:
Bringing this back to life... I am running into the same issue on my 76 Bus. The parking brake spreader is still very loose and can't adjust anymore. I've replaced the wheel cylinder (ATE), the shoes (ATE), the hardware, the cables, new drums, that measure to spec, and the parking brake spreader and arm (all aftermarket, but when compared with OE, they're the exact same.

I was thinking along the same lines as reducing the size of the notch in the spreader, but don't want to introduce the opportunity for the weld to break off or wear down quickly. I was thinking about fabricating a new spreader bar. Basically just notched steel slightly longer than the original. Do you guys think making a slightly longer spreader or shaving down the metal part of the shoe where it connects would be better?

Thanks,
Ben

As a quick fix. Add a stack of washers under the spreader bar nuts, until the cable slack is taken up.

The better fix would be new cables.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

badufay wrote:

Thanks,
Ben

As a quick fix. Add a stack of washers under the spreader bar nuts, until the cable slack is taken up.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

I just had this issue w/new emergency/parking brake cables on my '73 Super. I replaced the cables and they were basically too long so that tightened all the way they still would not hold. I picked up a couple of 1/2" barrel washers to put between the adjusting nuts and hold down plate at the handle and was able to adjust them. I may end up doing a similar adjustment at the back where the cable sleeve goes into the tunnel since even w/the sleeve I'm limited in how much I'll be able to adjust it upfront.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
badufay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

That’s a great idea about the washers. I’ll give that a try tomorrow.
Thanks,
Ben
Previous: 2015 Golf S TDI, 6 spd man; 2015 Jetta SE TDI, 6 spd man; 12 Jetta 2.5L, 04 Jetta 2.0L, 02 Golf 2.0L, 98 Jetta 2.0L, 98 Golf 2.0L, 98 Cabrio 2.0L, 95 Golf 2.0L, 87 golf GTI 16 valve 1.8L, 86 Cabriolet 1.6L, 80 Audi 4000 1.6L, 76 Audi Fox 1.6L, 76 VW Beetle 1.6L, 74 Audi Fox 1.5L, 69 VW Beetle 1.5L
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

This is all greatinfo here..
I have the same issue on my bug.
New brake shoes, new drums, new brake cylinders, new backplate and adjusters, and new cables, and have to turn the adjustment nuts at the handle almost all the way down to get proper parking brake action.

And still have to pull the handle quite a ways up for that.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

I did a 450mi round trip drive in my beetle to attend a vintage car event. A few days before I left I replaced the rear drums with new German Zimmerman drums.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Prior to this (and as posted above a couple of years ago) my new cables poked out a lot and were nearly at the bottom of the adjustment.

I should have searched for this thread and checked out the spreader bar gap. I didn’t. But will do that one of these days.

But here’re my observations from setting up the rear brakes. The length of the threaded protrusion of the cables is very sensitive to
1. Brake shoe clearance to the drum
2. Number of clicks for full lock. Factory says 3 clicks of the parking brake but that will require the nuts to be tightened further down. I settled for 5-6 clicks.

I initially set the shoes with the factory method of tightening to a slight drag and then loosening 3-4 clicks. But that did not give very precise results and resulted in right brake locking up before left when parking brake was pulled - to fix which I would have to tighten the left side cable more than the right. Didn’t want to do that.

So I left the cables with roughly equal length protrusion, pulled up the parking brake to 3 clicks. The right side was not locked but had considerable drag. The left side was freer. I then adjusted the star adjusters on the left side brake until I had the same level of drag as the right side. I then pulled to 5 clicks and confirmed that both sides were locked and then released the brake and confirmed both sides were free. I drove to the event with this setting. The threaded ends still poke out thru the torn boot, but they may fit under a new one.

Today after returning I checked out the setup again. I first removed the locknuts and measure each threaded end for length of protrusion. The left side cable was protruding 1.5 mm more than the right side. I adjusted till it matched the shorter side. Then I went to the shoes , removed the rubber caps and checked the clearance with a feeler gauge. Each show had a slightly different gap. The closest was 0.013”. So I used the feeler gauge to set the other 3 shoes also to the same setting so they were all evenly spaced.

Checked that the wheels rotated freely. The parking brake now engages a bit early. I like have reduced the protrusion further by losseningbthe nuts and returning the brake to full lock at 5-6 clicks rather than 4-5 but I didn’t have time.

I also wanted to do some research on using clearance gauges for setting the shoes rather than the factory suggested method. Clearance gauge method is used in other cars I have so can’t be completely wrong.

I’d now like to find out how tight I could go on the clearance. The tighter it get, the faster the brake response and shorter the cable protrusion. As long as the brakes don’t drag or heat up, I don’t see/ know the downsides. So need to do some more reading and experimentation.

Byas
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

I did a 450mi round trip drive in my beetle to attend a vintage car event. A few days before I left I replaced the rear drums with new German Zimmerman drums.

Prior to this (and as posted above a couple of years ago) my new cables poked out a lot and were nearly at the bottom of the adjustment.

I should have searched for this thread and checked out the spreader bar gap. I didn’t. But will do that one of these days.

But here’re my observations from setting up the rear brakes. The length of the threaded protrusion of the cables is very sensitive to
1. Brake shoe clearance to the drum
2. Number of clicks for full lock. Factory says 3 clicks of the parking brake but that will require the nuts to be tightened further down. I settled for 5-6 clicks.

I initially set the shoes with the factory method of tightening to a slight drag and then loosening 3-4 clicks. But that did not give very precise results and resulted in right brake locking up before left when parking brake was pulled - to fix which I would have to tighten the left side cable more than the right. Didn’t want to do that.

So I left the cables with roughly equal length protrusion, pulled up the parking brake to 3 clicks. The right side was not locked but had considerable drag. The left side was freer. I then adjusted the star adjusters on the left side brake until I had the same level of drag as the right side. I then pulled to 5 clicks and confirmed that both sides were locked and then released the brake and confirmed both sides were free. I drove to the event with this setting. The threaded ends still poke out thru the torn boot, but they may fit under a new one.

Today after returning I checked out the setup again. I first removed the locknuts and measure each threaded end for length of protrusion. The left side cable was protruding 1.5 mm more than the right side. I adjusted till it matched the shorter side. Then I went to the shoes , removed the rubber caps and checked the clearance with a feeler gauge. Each show had a slightly different gap. The closest was 0.013”. So I used the feeler gauge to set the other 3 shoes also to the same setting so they were all evenly spaced.

Checked that the wheels rotated freely. The parking brake now engages a bit early. I like have reduced the protrusion further by losseningbthe nuts and returning the brake to full lock at 5-6 clicks rather than 4-5 but I didn’t have time.

I also wanted to do some research on using clearance gauges for setting the shoes rather than the factory suggested method. Clearance gauge method is used in other cars I have so can’t be completely wrong.

I’d now like to find out how tight I could go on the clearance. The tighter it get, the faster the brake response and shorter the cable protrusion. As long as the brakes don’t drag or heat up, I don’t see/ know the downsides. So need to do some more reading and experimentation.

Byas
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

I know you adjusted the rear brakes manually and THEN went o to the parking brake adjustment, right?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Shorten stretched brake cable? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I know you adjusted the rear brakes manually and THEN went o to the parking brake adjustment, right?

Yes.

“ I initially set the shoes with the factory method of tightening to a slight drag and then loosening 3-4 clicks. ”

Done some more reading. My Fiat manual specifies a clearance of 0.1 to 0.15mm. So, I will try to progressively tighten up and see what the lowest clearance I can get is. I am currently at 0.33mm.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: