Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb trouble
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Carb trouble Reply with quote

Hi Folks...

Right off the top, I'm not much of a mechanic. Hermann, my Type 181, was running really well with the EMPI carb that came on him. Then...he started acting like he wasn't getting enough fuel. I checked the line, and it was flowing just fine. So, I'm thinking it must be a dirty carb. I don't believe I'm competent to fix it

So...the question is: Somewhere on here I saw information about a good carb repair man, who converts them to the screw-in fuel connection. I've searched using all the terms I can think of, but can't find the thread/address. Can somebody help? Thanks.

Mike
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

Tim at Volkzbitz is your guy, but I think he may only work on original carbs(wich you may want to consider).
https://www.volkzbitz.com/
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

Big Bull Shooter wrote:
Tim at Volkzbitz is your guy, but I think he may only work on original carbs(wich you may want to consider).
https://www.volkzbitz.com/

Thanks, I'll get ahold of him and see what he says.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

Assuming I have to rebuild the carb myself. How do I tell which re-build kit I need?

I've started to clean it off, but I don't know where to find the model number. Here's a picture, if that helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I looked on 'JBugs', and the carb looks like the 34PICT-3 they show.

Mike
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

Before you do anything with the carb you should replace that filthy air filter and then test drive it. That may be your entire problem if it ran properly before. If it can't breathe it won't operate correctly.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

Gene Kisner wrote:
Before you do anything with the carb you should replace that filthy air filter and then test drive it. That may be your entire problem if it ran properly before. If it can't breathe it won't operate correctly.

Hi Gene...

That's a picture as I got the car. I replaced it with a stock air cleaner. It was running fine until it started acting like it wasn't getting gas, last fall.

Mike
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

Then it is time to check the fuel pump. Also, remember rubber fuel lines sometimes delaminate internally, thereby blocking liquid flow, then seem fine when you blow through them. Your buddy will always be hiding around the corner.
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

BNMike wrote:
Hi Folks...

Right off the top, I'm not much of a mechanic. Hermann, my Type 181, was running really well with the EMPI carb that came on him. Then...he started acting like he wasn't getting enough fuel. I checked the line, and it was flowing just fine. So, I'm thinking it must be a dirty carb. I don't believe I'm competent to fix it

So...the question is: Somewhere on here I saw information about a good carb repair man, who converts them to the screw-in fuel connection. I've searched using all the terms I can think of, but can't find the thread/address. Can somebody help? Thanks.

Mike

The one I have is an EMPY and has the screw in connection. Not a difficult thing to do, just tap and screw... Here is a link to a rebuild video on my YouTube page.

Link

BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

Gene Kisner wrote:
Then it is time to check the fuel pump. Also, remember rubber fuel lines sometimes delaminate internally, thereby blocking liquid flow, then seem fine when you blow through them. Your buddy will always be hiding around the corner.

New fuel lines and filter were the first thing I did. The pump is working fine.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

FJBLF wrote:

The one I have is an EMPY and has the screw in connection. Not a difficult thing to do, just tap and screw... Here is a link to a rebuild video on my YouTube page.

Link

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. I can tap the hole, where do I get the fitting? I've got a lathe, I can make one if I have to.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

Just to mention, I had a similar issue on a day trip once and the THING started bucking like it wasn't greeting enough fuel, would idle fine but under load bucking like a bronco.

Carb got cleaned twice, noticed the fuel filter fuel was purple with rust balls, ended up being the gas tank.

Old pre-ethanol tank sealer was melting and had clogged the fuel filter located in the tank and of course rust in there too.

I had to remove the tank's sending unit and look in there with a flash light to find it, just be careful if you do as it's the fuel tank and your face will be over the hole looking in. mind sparks, static electricity and such we dont want no fires!

My fix ended up being a new tank and ended up getting a pict34 carb from volksbits but I dont belive my old carb was bad just was a pic31(wrong size).

I Hope you can fix it yourself, it's a great feeling to learn how these cars go
and being able to do it yourself.

Good luck with it,

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

FJBLF...

Your video is very helpful. It looks like my choke spring needs adjusting, like you show. When I get out from under the 'gardening' chores, I'll have time to try that.

Mike
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

BNMike wrote:

I looked on 'JBugs', and the carb looks like the 34PICT-3 they show.

Mike

You have an adapter between the carb and the manifold which would lead me to believe you might have something besides the PICT34-3 carb.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: