Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8T questions?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: 1.8T questions? Reply with quote

I'm into my swap and would like to know the opinions of those who are driving on the 1.8T conversion (06A) ; What coolant lines they are using? IMO the longitudinal from a Passat or Audi make the most sense, however the assembled kits from the vendors are using the transverse stuff?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T questions? Reply with quote

The longitudinal coolant parts are much easier to work with just like the longitudinal motor mount parts when putting these in the vans.
On my red Westy 1.8t there where no coolant pipes at all when I got it, I ran 1 1/4 FlexFab hose all the way from the engine up to the radiator.
I have worked on many of the SAH conversions and while they did do an extremely nice job building that kit, it seems to me like there was a LOT more work done than needed to be done if they had just used the Passat and Audi A4 parts rather than the Jetta/Golf/Beetle/TT parts. The engine it inline in the van, not transverse, it just makes sense.

https://www.hpcouplers.com/products/flexfab-5526-1...-hose-1-25
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T questions? Reply with quote

I went the same route as Andrew, by using marine grade flex hose for all of my cooling lines. My van was air-cooled, so there were no existing coolant lines to being with. I found the rubber hose was much easier to work with, as opposed to buying stainless pipes.

This is what I used, Gates Green Stripe heater hose, p/n 28445.

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hos...04411.html

Only sold in 50ft rolls, so I had some extra. But it was still cheaper than buying stainless pipes.
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: