Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to: Fitting the crested Beetle horn button in your Bay
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: How to: Fitting the crested Beetle horn button in your Bay Reply with quote

So the horn button in my 73 was kinda crappy, just scratched and plain.

I like the nice crested glossy Beetle button, but getting one of those for a Bay is expensive, like over $50 with overseas shipping, long wait, etc, and the cheap Beetle one doesnt fit the Bay.

They looked pretty close in size to me, so I took the dive. You can buy the Beetle one for anywhere $8 to $15. I think with shipping it cost me around $20. I'm sure they can be had cheaper at a swap.

The Beetle button plastic pilot diameter is bigger than the Bay button, so you need to remove plastic from the Beetle button.

But the wall thickness of the plastic pilot diameter is only like .040". And you need to remove like .030" of that wall thickness to get it to fit the Bay steering wheel.

So I got some JB Weld, for like $4 or whatever it was. Mix it up, and spread it evenly to increase the wall thickness on the ID of the button pilot diameter.

Then, grind, sand, file, whatever, on the OD of the pilot diameter. I used a small little hobby bench grinder that I have, that has a nice sharp-edged grinding wheel. And it's a Toastmaster. Laughing

Be careful!!!! Go slow and take your time and revolve the button and grind, and don't slip or you'll ruin the knob. The knob has an edge that you want to keep.

I didn't use any of the retention springs that the knobs use - I just ground and sanded till the button was a nice light press fit into the boss on the wheel.

Looks great, and was a fun cheap mod.
Hobo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to: Fitting the crested Beetle horn button in your Bay Reply with quote

Nice! Though if I did that, it would be the nicest piece of my bus:)
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to: Fitting the crested Beetle horn button in your Bay Reply with quote

While it looks nice, It feels off, being that its the Wolfsburg crest. I'd have to have one with the Hannover crest.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: How to: Fitting the crested Beetle horn button in your Bay Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Nice! Though if I did that, it would be the nicest piece of my bus:)
This!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: How to: Fitting the crested Beetle horn button in your Bay Reply with quote

78BusGA wrote:
While it looks nice, It feels off, being that its the Wolfsburg crest. I'd have to have one with the Hannover crest.

Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: