Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof Racks
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55 ragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Roof Racks Reply with quote

I'm looking for a set of
roof racks for a 1975 Bay window
camper ,
Seems know one has stock .
Does anyone know where or who has stock on this,
used for kayaks or canoe
thanks.
Yakima Roof Rack Bundle is really what I am looking for ,
PART #:GVW-RACK-WESTY
seems it been almost 5 months no stock,
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

You can buy the Thule set up. I see it online and eBay has all the parts. They don’t have a “bundle” so you’d have to buy the parts separately. The Thule bars are stronger too. If you do this you might want to look into struts for your pop top, as it will be heavier to lift when you have stuff on the rack.

You’d need:
300 foot pack
LB50 load bars
542 artificial rain gutters
544 locks (4 pack) or you can buy a lock pack with more cylinders if you want all your accessories to use the same key.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

I have a Thule set-up which has extra high uprights and then clamps onto my existing rain gutters. Not sure of they still make that set-up.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

They do, but that would make his pop top inoperable when the rack is attached.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

we used to use a set of thick foam pads designed to fit a canoe, and then sit it right on top and anchor it to the front and rear bumpers corners with two ropes in front and back for redundancy. That worked really well, better than gutter mounts.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

55 ragger wrote:
I'm looking for a set of
camper ,
used for kayaks or canoe
thanks.

lol... I have NO IDEA why people would buy that crap from Gowe$ty at a marked up price.

I see the yakima drip rail style feet (edit 1A Raingutters) available on craigslist all the time. Not much demand because obviously most cars don't have drip rails anymore. Bars too. Im sure Ebay would be a great source too.

You'll probably have to buy the artificial drip rail thing new. Either the Yakima (Widebody brackets) or Thule version will work fine with either.

There are a lot of other options, Landing pads, adjustable tracks, using the 1A tall raingutters w highrise spacers (gives up your ability to pop the top but probably handles more weight). Spend some time on the Yakima website, they will describe it all and the parts are easy to get anywhere. You don't need to wait on a bundle from a specific vendor. https://explore.yakima.com/custom-install?_ga=2.94...campervans

btw, I believe part of your problem in trying to buy new is that they may no longer be in production. Yakima appears to be trying sell even more expensive systems instead.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

I installed 3 sets of ARGs on my '78's pop top. The rear most set has mounts for assist struts. (I only install those when I am going to put a canoe up there.)

Check here for some details on how I did it. It is a few different posts of me troubleshooting why parts I had didn't fit, but I think everything is in there in one place or another.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8430543#8430543

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

What Thule Gutter Foot Pack would you Sambites recommend for a Tin-Top 76 Bay?

Thank you so much
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

scubasteve321 wrote:

Thank you so much

You’re gonna want to buy the Thule super high foot pack. I believe you can get them in either 10” or 12”. The 10” sits just above the roof and may require you to bend the load bars slightly. The 12” will sit 2” above the roof. Personally I think the 10” looks better, but it’s your bus and you should do what you like. You can buy them at your LBS and many online sellers like eBay have them.

You’ll also need load bars, like the LB50 and you’ll need locks. Both sold separately.

Good luck!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

55 ragger wrote:
I'm looking for a set of
camper ,
used for kayaks or canoe
thanks.

This

https://www.rackattack.com/fit/volkswagen/vans-bus-except-campers/1978/

and these

https://www.rackattack.com/permanent-custom-mount-...-brackets/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
They do, but that would make his pop top inoperable when the rack is attached.

You either have to drill into your fiber glass Westy top or unload your gear when you want to pop the top. I personally prefer the Thule high feet and unload option but I guess it depends on what you are carrying and where you camp.

Plus most standard 7 ' residential garages will not accommodate Thule high feet and roof bars on a Westy pop top.
(sold - but not forgotten)
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
scubasteve321 wrote:

Thank you so much

You’re gonna want to buy the Thule super high foot pack. I believe you can get them in either 10” or 12”. The 10” sits just above the roof and may require you to bend the load bars slightly. The 12” will sit 2” above the roof. Personally I think the 10” looks better, but it’s your bus and you should do what you like. You can buy them at your LBS and many online sellers like eBay have them.

You’ll also need load bars, like the LB50 and you’ll need locks. Both sold separately.

Good luck!

Just to make sure;

NOT For the fiberglass pop-top

but

for the steel roof tin top

10 inches? seems a bit much

P.S. edit; I appreciate the recommendation for the load bars, I am just looking to install flexible solar panels which are a few pounds each, so am looking to make my own rack with aluminum square tubing
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

I suppose you can just guess what ones you should buy and return them if they don’t fit. Maybe you can lay a piece of wood across the roof and measure yourself. I bet you’d have a harder time finding the correct size aluminum tubing to fit the Thule foot pack then you’d think. A used set of LB50 load bars is trending at $60 on eBay right now. Looks like there’s 10” foot pack for $200 on eBay right now too.

Google “Thule gutter foot” all the options pop up.

I get why you’d want a roof rack. But why a solar panel? I know a lot of #vanlife people who had installed solar and 95% don’t need them. At the price of all the solar components A second battery that charges off the alternator is usually enough but often overlooked as an option.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Fri May 14, 2021 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

scubasteve321 wrote:

for the steel roof tin top

10 inches? seems a bit much

P.S. edit; I appreciate the recommendation for the load bars, I am just looking to install flexible solar panels which are a few pounds each, so am looking to make my own rack with aluminum square tubing

8" from gutter to crest of the roof. 10" would give a few inches to spare - depending on rack design. My homemade rack is 9.5" from gutter to bottom of the rack, just enough room to put the hand under it for strapping stuff down.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Racks Reply with quote

not trying to chide anyone with my clarification, there were a number of posts in this thread regarding the pop top so it could have been easily construed as such with a quick read

will get the 10 inch ones and thanks for the recommendation of just getting the bars, like the idea of such

I am doing a custom build out whereas it will be rented out for camping adventures

This will be my third bus putting panels and deep cycles in, so am very verse in power needs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: