Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump question...
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Fuel pump question... Reply with quote

In researching suggestions for a fuel pump leak, I realized there are different types depending on if the car has a generator or alternator. Anyway, my car has a generator but I think has the fuel pump generally associated with an alternator. Aren't the fuel pump rods different lengths?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
diamondblue1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump question... Reply with quote

Your fuel line routing looks risky over the heat riser .
Your fuel pump should have the shorter rod.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump question... Reply with quote

so its not necessarily the pump style but the rod length that matters?
diamondblue1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump question... Reply with quote

The rod length matters depending on the operating lever's protrusion .
see borrowed diagram

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1417316.jpg
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump question... Reply with quote

diamondblue1969 wrote:
The rod length matters depending on the operating lever's protrusion .
see borrowed diagram

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1417316.jpg

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump question... Reply with quote

If your car is working fine then you likely have the correct (100mm) rod since you have the alternator style fuel pump. If you had the generator style rod (108mm), your fuel pump would be gone by now.

As for the leak, can you see where it is coming from? Obvious places to check would be to take the fuel pump off and replace the gaskets under and over the stand. Make sure that the carb inlet is not leaking or fuel pump inlet/outlets are not leaking.

Check the pressure of the fuel pump as well. A new pump I bought was almost 7 pounds when it should have been around 3 pounds. I had to add a bunch of gaskets to raise the fuel pump to decrease the pressure to 3.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump question... Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
Anyway, my car has a generator but I think has the fuel pump generally associated with an alternator. Aren't the fuel pump rods different lengths?

Yes the push rod lengths are different and the pump + push rod must be a matched set. Do not mix up pumps and push rods.

Originally, you could ID the type of pump externally by whether the pump stood upright (generator) or if it was angled (alternator). The angled pump was needed to provide clearance between the pump and the larger alternator body.

Unfortunately, the aftermarket has changed things...
The left pump below is angled but uses a generator length pushrod. Note the operating arm does not extend below the base.

So just looking at whether the pump is angled or not is no longer a definite way to ID the pump and the push rod is needs.

Also, there is an upright generator pump that uses the longer 108mm pushrod, but the pump body is "squat" enough that it will fit next to an alternator so an alternator pump + alternator pump push rod is not specifically needed when using an alternator. Read the description of the pump below.
https://www.chircoestore.com/product/chrome-fuel-pump-all-vw-bugs/

Without taking the pump off the engine and looking if the operating arm extends below the base... you can often look at the location of the pivot pin in the body of the pump. The pivot is lower (closer to the base) on the alternator push rod pumps. You can sort of see this in the top pic above.

The best way is to remove the pump. That way you can also confirm if you have the correct length push rod. Always better to check than assume. Smile
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: