Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Schwenk Springs in an 86 Full Camper?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Schwenk Springs in an 86 Full Camper? Reply with quote

Whatever you did on the van is irrelevant. If you pay for an alignment, you should get an alignment. Now, before jumping to any conclusions, did the other guy not adjust the camber because
1 he checked the camber measurements, they were within specs, so they did not need further adjustment, or
2 did not check at all?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Schwenk Springs in an 86 Full Camper? Reply with quote

Ask for the print out.
Drew N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Schwenk Springs in an 86 Full Camper? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Whatever you did on the van is irrelevant. If you pay for an alignment, you should get an alignment. Now, before jumping to any conclusions, did the other guy not adjust the camber because
1 he checked the camber measurements, they were within specs, so they did not need further adjustment, or
2 did not check at all?

Totally agree... I spoke with the manager and when I get my new tires put on next wed he said they would check it. My reasoning due to the changes and work I've done was completely understood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Drew N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Schwenk Springs in an 86 Full Camper? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Ask for the print out.

Yeah, I asked for it and they said they didn't have one. They only print them out if a customer asks for it.

...I understand if it was somehow miraculously in spec... but I'm more guessing it was laziness. Toe and go. Typical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Drew N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Schwenk Springs in an 86 Full Camper? Reply with quote

Finally at the finish line on this project. Got the tires installed yesterday. Falken Wildpeak AT, 8 ply D range. They're 215/75r15. My originals were 205/71r15. The difference is approximately another half inch in width and about 1 1/2" taller. Although I will say, when they had the old and new ties next to each other at the shop, it seemed like the Falkens were a solid 2" taller. It does actually say 28x8.5 right on the sidewall..
After some of the typical frantic discussion by the tire shop regarding, "these won't fit, they're bigger than what the computer says, Sir we can't mount these, what does the door sticker say for tire size... WHO PICKED THIS TIRE SIZE??" ....they finally agreed to mount one... then got really quiet after trying it and mounted the rest without a peep. (story of my life... I lift all my vehicles and always go through this).
No rubbing yet that I can see. I have been driving it a bit gingerly in anticipation, but so far so good!
Between the new springs, the new spring pads (no squeeks), and now the new tires, the van drives/handles substantially better. It is just a touch stiffer ride, but the big difference is the roll/lean/diving is all gone from the suspension and now the splashy/sloppy feeling that I had with the old tires is completely gone. The stiffer 8 ply sidewalls of the new tires really make a world of difference. And despite my concern initially, they don't feel hard at all. Granted, those old bologna skins I was driving around on were pretty beat. I think they were on the very bottom of the weight rating needed for the van.
I have a long road trip this weekend (6.5 hours each way) and will be doing some back roads and campground roads at my destination so it will be a good test. The van will be fully loaded with the family, bikes, whitewater kayak, roof box and roof bag... hopefully the van demonstrates good control at highway speeds with all that non-aerodynamic crap hanging off of it. After all, that was sorta the point of all this (although it does look cool too)! Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: