Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Delete One Gas Expansion Tank?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Delete One Gas Expansion Tank? Reply with quote

Struggling with one of my gas expansion tanks on gas tank reseal/replacement. First learned my lesson by breaking one of the bottom nipples on removal. I was able to epoxy in a brass nipple that i felt pretty good about. On attempt to install the expansion tank managed to snap nipple of top valve.. Shocked ..

Have read some posts about being able to possibly get by with just one of the tanks. Is this something I could do rather than purchasing a new check valve/seal? No smog checks where I live (Ohio).

If I go this route do I just plug the line that went to valve and tie the two bottom lines together? Thanks for the help and insight in advance.

-Will
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Delete One Gas Expansion Tank? Reply with quote

Loop the 2 tubes of the tank you are deleting. Cap the hose that goes into the roll over valve on top. That should do it.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Delete One Gas Expansion Tank? Reply with quote

WillRB wrote:
On attempt to install the expansion tank managed to snap nipple of top valve.. Shocked ..

In my galley/posts there are pictures of how I melted that back together.

Basically heated (slightly melted) both ends of break. pressed together. drilled weld area with appropriate drill. going a decade? now.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete One Gas Expansion Tank? Reply with quote

The roll over valves used to be available new. Same valve the syncro fuel tank uses. I recall there was a jeep one that worked. No details.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete One Gas Expansion Tank? Reply with quote

Yes the vent valves are available new.
All the ones that all the vanagon parts places sell are Jeep vent valves.
I bought some from gowesty.
https://www.gowesty.com/product/fuel-delivery/19595/float-valve-for-vapor-tank-?v=
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looked up the part number on the box when I got them and they were for some jeep model and cost half as much as gowesty was selling them for.

Can't remember the exact year jeep but here is one from a 95 cherokee that looks pretty similar.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6278379&cc=1180280&jsn=873
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

a little more research and you should be able to find new ones for not a lot of money.
I think mine came with the seal too.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: