Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved**
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

Shocked

I have the same noise now. And the same end links.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Shocked

I'm curious. Did you just have your van up on a lift?
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

Since I got my steering rack replaced, I have a slightly croak-y squeak on speed bumps, and even hard braking, that gets higher pitched if I'm going faster-- that is if I hit the speed bump at a higher speed so that the wheel's up-stroke happens faster. Seems like only in the front wheels. I assume two surfaces catch, then move, catch again, etc, many times per second. Is this encountered by others? Is there a place to lube (grease??) it that will make the movement smooth rather than incremental? Is something in both wheel suspensions similarly either too tight or too loose? Even moderately rough roads keep it "talking", and it makes my otherwise not-so-bad-shape '87 Westy sound like an old heap. HELP!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
Since I got my steering rack replaced, I have a slightly croak-y squeak on speed bumps, and even hard braking, that gets higher pitched if I'm going faster-- that is if I hit the speed bump at a higher speed so that the wheel's up-stroke happens faster. Seems like only in the front wheels. I assume two surfaces catch, then move, catch again, etc, many times per second. Is this encountered by others? Is there a place to lube (grease??) it that will make the movement smooth rather than incremental? Is something in both wheel suspensions similarly either too tight or too loose? Even moderately rough roads keep it "talking", and it makes my otherwise not-so-bad-shape '87 Westy sound like an old heap. HELP!

That sounds more like upper control arm bushings to me. You can test by spraying them down with a dry lube and see if the noise goes away temporarily.

Crooked Designer wrote:
joetiger wrote:
Shocked

I'm curious. Did you just have your van up on a lift?

Yes--as a matter of fact, I had new tires installed and an alignment done, then the noise started on my February trip out to the desert.

No noise in the rain, I noticed. Only when it's dry.

The jeep guys spray all of their exposed heim joints with WD40 or similar before going off road to keeps squeaks and noises down. I'd prefer to not resort to that.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

When I had OEM style upper control arm bushings I used to spray them periodically with Flud Film to keep them quiet.

T3's PowerFlex bushings have eliminated that need entirely since I installed them in May of 2013 - ~50,000 miles ago!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
When I had OEM style upper control arm bushings I used to spray them periodically with Flud Film to keep them quiet.

T3's PowerFlex bushings have eliminated that need entirely since I installed them in May of 2013 - ~50,000 miles ago!

I used PB Dry Lube on the OEM UCA bushings and it worked pretty well. The Powerflex are nice and quiet with that disgusting Bushing Snot.

The joints for the sway bar are different, though. The noise is so damned irritating.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

The top joint of the OP's HD end links do not have any protective boot:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The current picture on the T3 site shows a different design to the upper joint which includes a rubber protective boot.

I wonder if that upper boot being in place would keep lube in place and prevent the noises.

joetiger, which style do you have?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

I wonder if that upper boot being in place would keep lube in place and prevent the noises.

I have the old style, like the OP, with no protective boot.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

This literally couldn't have come at a better time. I've been chasing the same issue / sound for weeks on end but have just got used to the noise. I am SO happy to have found this thread.

I also have the older style ones which do not have the protective boots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

It may be an optical illusion, but the top spring coils appear to be touching if not very close. That is not a good situation.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

Russpauly wrote:
joetiger wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

This literally couldn't have come at a better time. I've been chasing the same issue / sound for weeks on end but have just got used to the noise. I am SO happy to have found this thread.

I also have the older style ones which do not have the protective boots.

Damn. I wonder if bike chain lube would be a good temp fix? It's waxy so it should keep dust and dirt out of there.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

Update: Just got back from a 1,400 mile trip. Sprayed both joints with penetrating grease before leaving. It was still squeaking like crazy when driving around running errands before leaving. After first stretch of expressway driving the noise was gone. Definitely noticed when I pulled off to get gas that it was quiet again. (hard to hear the squeaking with all the road noise at expressway speed with the windows down.)

I'm guessing the constant vibration of expressway driving worked the grease into the joints. Noise remained gone for the entire trip. It was all sorts of weather too. 85 degrees and dry to 38 and raining. Given that these are T3's HD end links, I wrote Christopher. As I mentioned before he got back to me very quickly and was very helpful.

@joetiger - Mine was up on a lift at my mechanic's shop for a bit while they worked on the shifter linkage. After putting it back on the ground is when the noise started.

@MarkWard - Springs are not touching. It's just an illusion from the camera angle.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

Sooooo, huh, that second video by OP showing the HD links on the T3 bar moving or not moving, does it only just appear that the end of the bar and the bolt don't move together? Like the bar end or the bolt (bushing?) in it are worn? I can't remember now what that connection looks like, its been several years since I put my set from Chris in. I know I've got the non-booted version though.

I am just starting to hear stuff now too, as i did my front brakes last Friday.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
Sprayed both joints with penetrating grease before leaving.

Thanks for the update! What kind of penetrant did you use?

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Crooked Designer wrote:
Sprayed both joints with penetrating grease before leaving.

Thanks for the update! What kind of penetrant did you use?

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:

Thanks again. I'll pick some up. I'm a sucker for anything with "Industrial" in the title.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

I have a groaning bushing on the passenger side. I'll give this stuff a shot.

Thanks!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

My local FLAPS didn't have that CRC spray, so in my impatience I soaked both joints with Rock n Roll Gold chain lube and went for a spin.

The awful noise is gone. I'll update when/if it comes back.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
My local FLAPS didn't have that CRC spray, so in my impatience I soaked both joints with Rock n Roll Gold chain lube and went for a spin.

The awful noise is gone. I'll update when/if it comes back.

Looked up what other do to 'grease' Heim joints like this and found that CRC makes a Graphite spray that lubes the joint but doesn't harm or interfere with the plastics that might be there.

Cleaned it up, sprayed the Heims and the noise is gone. I'm pissed. So pissed because I was under the van for weeks and adding grease to areas I didn't need to to try and find / locate the noise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a creaking noise in front suspension **Solved** Reply with quote

Russpauly wrote:
I'm pissed. So pissed because I was under the van for weeks and adding grease to areas I didn't need to to try and find / locate the noise.

I too was trying to figure out what was making the noise for weeks and it was driving me crazy. Honestly, given how new these end links were and how they never made a peep before this, it was the last place I thought the noise would be coming from. I hope this post is helpful for people troubleshooting in the future.

~1,500 miles over 2 weeks and all different kinds of weather and the noise has not returned.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: