Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Great idea on the trailer wiring. I used to own boats though and can tell you that some of that ribbon is poor quality and the insulation went to hell on me quickly so buy the good stuff
Outdoor rated 25' 16 AWG grounded extension cord, cheaper than buying three conductor by the foot. Trick is a sharp utility knife and light score and bend the outer sheaving to lesson the chance of nicking the conductors.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

IMHO in a type 4 engine CHT is the important number for whether you're pushing the engine too hard.

Type 1 engine Oil temp is more important.

Also the convenient spot for oil temp on the taco plate is not very useful since it gets a lot of cooling air. You'll see one temp on the highway then as soon as you slow down it shoots up 20 degrees.

That said I run all the gauges... oil temp, oil pressure, CHT, tach, volts, and AFR. When you've seen how much work goes into a rebuild every bit of info seems like cheap insurance.
SteelersBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

They're good and bad.

Good because they showed me how to drive my Bus. How to help the engine run cooler. Not to hold the pedal down for the entire drive. And to downshift on hills.

Bad because then you just stare at them the whole time you drive!!

I took mine off years ago. The Bus will tell me if something's wrong.

In the 18 years I've owned the Bus that I drive now, the stock oil gauge(red light) has told me the two times I've overheated. Both times, I have pulled over immediately and then had the Bus towed home. Both times, I then just gave a complete tune up and oil change. And kept on cruisin with no issues.

A lot of people like gadgets. So, it's really your personal preference.
Key all your Locks to one Key.
[email protected]

Granny Grose's Buses 19
May 30 - June 2, 2024
Millmont, PA
https://www.facebook.com/groups/333391253346965/

70 Campmobile, 70 Sedan, 71 SO-69 Westy, & 74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
I think oil temp is a very good gauge to have.

However you need to understand what the "NORMAL" oil temperature range is....in order to not have paranoia issues.

With conventional oil....anything under 212* is a little too cool to keep moisture out of the oil. Over 275* for any length of time does damage to the ability of the oil to lubricate and keep film strength. So in a heavily loaded, highway driving vehicle in hot weather....225*F to 250*F....is normal.....and this is conventional oil. YOu can add about 25*F to those temps with synthetic.

There will be low spots and high spots with wind and hills. A lot of web info says 260* peak is fine...but bear in mind you may have temp gauge accuracy issues.

Driving long distance in an ACVW at 50 to 70 mph...and quick glance at the oil temp gauge as long as its below 250....should not cause a second thought.

Great info not Ray! Is this a rule of thumb for all ACVW, T1 and T4, or just T4?

Being pedantic, the terms T1 & T4 mean 1st & 4th generation or Mark 1 & Mark 2, rather than Type 1 (i.e. VW Beetle related) & Type 4 (i.e. VW 411/412 related).

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

I don’t run any gauges either, just the stock red light. I make sure it’s tuned right and I change the oil and adjust the valves every 3k. Stock 1600. I put lots of miles on them and drive them everywhere fully loaded. I like to keep it simple and I never even think about oil pressure or temp ( I mean sometimes I’m curious about the temps cresting a mt pass), i don’t stop to cool it down or anything and I just don’t worry about it. Over 100k between the two buses in the last 12 years. Very Happy

Ps, I do have AAA Plus!
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

I have a universal case and my sender is machined into the T3 dipstick block off plate.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Rider_Surfboards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

Strictly speaking, gauges are not essential, but I have found them invaluable for trending and diagnosing issues. Currently I am running Dakota Digital oil pressure, oil temp, cylinder head temp, voltmeter, and ambient air temp.
I used to run VDOs, but found that the Dakotas are much more responsive and easier to glance at--no interpretation/guesswork needed. They also have a wiring option to dim the gauges when the headlights come on. Very handy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The gauges can be found here: https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=262/mode=cat/cat262.htm

As you can see, the temp gauges are all fairly consistent--CHT has a much wider range and therefore a greater variability in the reading (+- 10F according to the manual). I have it mounted underneath the #3 spark plug. Ideally you would have the head tapped for the reading, but I have noticed great consistency in trending using this location:

The far left is oil pressure, which was blinking due to it being at 0.0 PSI (bus was not running--red oil light is also on Laughing ). Each gauge can be preset to blink at a minimum and/or maximum value, which is great to grab your attention in the event something goes amiss. I would highly recommend going with a sender and idiot light separately. The combination senders are wildly inaccurate and I've gone through 2 of them. The single sender is much more reliable and you get the added bonus of running a stock idiot light-- located across from it here: (The gauge to the right is fuel pressure.)

Unfortunately the 42 Draft Designs relocation bracket is NLA.

Next up is oil temp. Most of these are mounted into the taco plate--toward the right of the picture. I ran this setup previously, but I have mine in the pressure relief plug--look for the red electrical connector. This gives a reading after the oil has circulated the engine--before reaching the oil filter and cooler--so you are reading a hotter temp. There is also a better flow of oil in this location. NOTE: this is for a Type IV engine.

The adapter for the pressure relief port can be found here: https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31%2D115%2D431%2D400

Voltmeter is pretty straightforward. It helped me diagnose a weak battery situation at startup, which turned into an easy fix.

I use the ambient air temp as a kind of zero for all the other gauges--it's also nice to know the temp outside. I mounted this right up underneath the passenger floor behind the bumper for easy access and airflow.

Ratwell has a good write up on gauges here: https://ratwell.com/technical/VDOGauges.html

I realize this is all a bit overkill, but I enjoy my setup. Nothing can replace your intuition when you feel something isn't running right, but I have found the extra little bit of information they provide to be both educating and reassuring. As for constantly reading the gauges and missing the pretty view outside, that's on you--it is not an inherent quality of the gauges themselves.

Good luck with your decision. I'm happy to answer whatever else I can.

-- Kevin
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

That's some good stuff there Rider. I like the firewall tree. Looks like you could add a mechanical gauge to the tree
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I like the firewall tree. Looks like you could add a mechanical gauge to the tree

Like this?

For my '78.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

Looks nice!....however.....take the pressure gauges out of the engine compartment.

Unless you specifically shopped for by class.....a hot environment pressure gauge.....virtually all pressure gauges have a max temp range of 150°F.

Getting repeatedly hot and cooling down....even if its after shut down from heat soak......is the fastest way to guarantee a bourdon tube style pressure gauge becomes highly inaccurate.

Ray
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Looks nice!....however.....take the pressure gauges out of the engine compartment.

Unless you specifically shopped for by class.....a hot environment pressure gauge.....virtually all pressure gauges have a max temp range of 150°F.

Getting repeatedly hot and cooling down....even if its after shut down from heat soak......is the fastest way to guarantee a bourdon tube style pressure gauge becomes highly inaccurate.

Ray

Thank you Ray, I had no idea.
Rider_Surfboards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
That's some good stuff there Rider. I like the firewall tree. Looks like you could add a mechanical gauge to the tree

Thank you for the compliment, Aeromech. I actually used to run one on the stock position atop the engine, but it stopped working due to what I presumed was vibration or, I suppose, heat as stated above.

Appreciate the tip, Ray. I hadn't thought of that either. This is the fuel pressure gauge I am using: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carbu...parts/1561 Unfortunately I have yet to find any documentation for it. I'm going to keep looking, but it seems like a sensible precaution regardless. Thanks!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

I suppose......I should actually post some links to some gauges that are good for this location so it actually helps people!

A couple of notes to understand what the issues are:

1. A vibration resistant gauge.....which is also good to have in this location....is NOT just a liquid/glycerin filled gauge.....but that takes care of a lot of it......but a very high vibratikn gauge has a second link between the bourdon tube and a gear driven dial.

2. The heat resistent gauge has tbis same type of dial drive.....which acts as an expansion joint between the end of the bourdon tube and the dial. A lot of them also have a difgersnt material making up the bourdon tube.....usually stainless or inconel......that have a much lower expansion rate and fatigue rate.

So....the problem with that.....less expansion of tbe bourdon tube....means that to have a wide scale range....like 0 to 600 psi.....with a lot of increments.....you need a gear inside with higher drive ratio. So, wide range gauges like that may be less accurate.....unless you spend $$$.
So the heat resistent gauges that are not as expensive tend to have shorter dial ranges.....like 0-30 or 0-60 or 0-100.

I will see what I can find and post some links. Ray
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

Rider_Surfboards wrote:

All of the of vertical ribs of fuel-tank-compartment bulkhead (i.e. firewall in USA parlance) in my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 have a total of twenty one M6 threaded nuts that were welded onto the back in 1982, to provide convenient future mounting points for an electronic-ignition ECU, electronic fuel-injection ECU and/or other components.

I had this done before painting it with Finnigan’s Hammerite, hammer-finish (effectively camouflages rust-pits and other imperfections), silver-grey enamel paint; as were all the cover-plates for the original AD-Series, VW 1600 Type 1 Beetle style air-cooled engine.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1980371

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=347788

Having the large number of captive nuts, avoided the future risk of mistakenly drilling holes through the fuel-tank compartment bulkhead into the fuel tank, when fitting things to the bulkhead, as all I needed to do was fabricate suitable mounting brackets.

I have a different approach to mounting the oil-pressure gauge sender & switch on a VW Type 4 style air-cooled engine:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=329464

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

Gauges are essential and I’ll tell you why.

Like others, I always took good care of the maintenance on my 1971 bus with 2007cc engine. Oil changed, valves adjustments, points, timing

So, the wife’s parents, their friends, and us jumped into my bus for a day trip to Puerto Nuevo for lobster. We were about 10 miles north of Rosario Beach and headed south on the coastal toll road doing about 60. I scanned my gauges and saw that my oil pressure needle was fluctuating. I said we needed to pull over. There’s a cliff on one side and a guard rail. Not much room. I popped out and once I got back to the engine I could see oil pouring from the valve covers. I would have fried my engine within another 5 minutes.

I did a repair using RTV, added some oil, and high tailed it to Rosario and an auto parts store. My repair held so I bought more oil.

The lobster was great and we made it home safely. The next day I went back to my local auto parts store and told them about their fancy rubber gaskets they had sold me. Only buy the cork ones.

I’m a believer in engine instrumentation
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Like others, I always took good care of the maintenance on my 1971 bus with 2007cc engine. Oil changed, valves adjustments, points, timing

So, the wife’s parents, their friends, and us jumped into my bus for a day trip to Puerto Nuevo for lobster. We were about 10 miles north of Rosario Beach and headed south on the coastal toll road doing about 60. I scanned my gauges and saw that my oil pressure needle was fluctuating. I said we needed to pull over. There’s a cliff on one side and a guard rail. Not much room. I popped out and once I got back to the engine I could see oil pouring from the valve covers. I would have fried my engine within another 5 minutes.

I did a repair using RTV, added some oil, and high tailed it to Rosario and an auto parts store. My repair held so I bought more oil.

The lobster was great and we made it home safely. The next day I went back to my local auto parts store and told them about their fancy rubber gaskets they had sold me. Only buy the cork ones.

Yep!......if for nothing else.....that exact function is what an oil pressure gauge is REALLY good for. In my personal opinion.....the idiot light is only good for telling you that for some reason AT START UP.....you have no pressure....so you can turn it off.

The idiot light while driving....is really only a "just-letting-you-know-but-you-are-too-late"....light. if you are in traffic in a center lane and that light comes on and you have no way to get over for a mile.....you are done.

The pressure gauge can give you precious time warning.

By the way NASKeet......great write up! Ray
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Yep!......if for nothing else.....that exact function is what an oil pressure gauge is REALLY good for. In my personal opinion.....the idiot light is only good for telling you that for some reason AT START UP.....you have no pressure....so you can turn it off.

The idiot light while driving....is really only a "just-letting-you-know-but-you-are-too-late"....light. if you are in traffic in a center lane and that light comes on and you have no way to get over for a mile.....you are done.

The pressure gauge can give you precious time warning.

By the way NASKeet......great write up! Ray

Was this the write-up to which you were referring Ray?

'How To' & 'Handy Hints' > Retro-fitting supplementary gauges

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=19396

Noting many years ago, that information about many topics is very fragmented and distributed amongst various related topic threads on various forums around the World, it was my attempt to give a single, reasonably comprehensive and coherent overview, of the value of supplementary instrumentation, much of which I believe should have been standard factory-fitted equipment on all vehicles.

My feeling is that this write-up is still incomplete and there are a few things I covered that need to be further clarified. It was never intended to be an installation guide, but it might also be appropriate to give guidance about where transducers (i.e. gauge-senders or switches) should be sited and not sited. From the ergonomic perspective, the relative positioning in one's field of vision, of related gauges and warning lights is also important.

One of my concerns, is where best to site the sensor or sensors for an exhaust-gas temperature gauge. My feeling is that one should ideally have a separate sensor for each cylinder, located as close as possible to the exhaust port, but this implies that one either needs one gauge per cylinder, or a means of switching a single gauge between each of the cylinders in turn.

If one has only a single air-fuel ratio sensor, sited beyond where the exhaust gases merge in the exhaust system from all of the cylinders, it will only indicate whether the overall air-fuel ratio is reasonable, but will probably not enable one to determine if there is unequal fuel distribution between individual cylinders.

Having the appropriate instrumentation is only the first step, but one needs to be able to usefully interpret the readings, which is something I fear many drivers are unable to do adequately.

Nigel A. Skeet

Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

My oil temp gauge story involved the oil cooler flap pivot hinge breaking and thus the cooling flap was no longer forcefully directing air over the cooler. Mid summer road trip with no problems except an OT gauge moving into the nuclear meltdown zone. Would never had know something was not right without the gauge. I use the taco plate because it was the simplist but it does have its issues. Temps do initially rise after highway runs when air cooling is reduced. Also notice wet roads aid in surface cooling and thus temp readings will be lower.

Regarding the oil pressure sensor I have tried 3 methods with my dual pole VDO sensor:

1. The stalk method where the sensor(s) are connected via a solid extension. The stress on the connection piece from the weight of the sensor(s) cracked at the threads in the block. Fortunately I was on my way to a bike ride so had alternate transport to get to the shop to get replacement parts. Then it was a fix on the side of the highway which is never a comfortable thing.

2. Enlarging tin opening so the sensor screws directly into the block. When the engine was out i created a larger opening in the tin before I knew there was supposed a rubber piece for the stock sensor that existed to prevent cooling air from bleeding out. Worked good until one day the sensor went kaput. Pretty sure the red light was the caused by the sensor but without anything else to go on parked on the side of the road again. Repair required the rear fan housing to be partially remove to be able to get to unthread the sensor. Big time consuming knuckle scraping PITA

3. Use of a steel braided hose to a junction box which has the VDO sensor, the factory sensor and a small mechanical OP gauge. I didnt know about the temp issue with gauges either but so far the gauge has remained accurate. By far this is the best method. The stock cooling boot is retained, flexible hose relieves stress points, access to the sensors is a breeze, plus if the VDO gauge goes kaput again between the the mechanical gauge and stock sensor can still drive the vehicle.

You can never have too many wires running from front to back. I thought I had everything covered but now I want to put a fuel pump / coil kill switch up front so I'm threading yet another wire along the length of the frame.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

This brought back memories. Back in the early 70s the "..new, fancy, modern rubber gaskets.." were the thing at VW parts places. I decided to be modern and bought a pair. I put them on, ran some errands and returned to my apartment. The next morning the building manager was glaring at the dual puddles of oil that were forming under the engine. She was upset. I had to clean it up. Then I went back to the auto parts store and got the cork gaskets.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Gauge Worth Having? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
aeromech wrote:

This brought back memories. Back in the early 70s the "..new, fancy, modern rubber gaskets.." were the thing at VW parts places. I decided to be modern and bought a pair. I put them on, ran some errands and returned to my apartment. The next morning the building manager was glaring at the dual puddles of oil that were forming under the engine. She was upset. I had to clean it up. Then I went back to the auto parts store and got the cork gaskets.

The sad, sad, sad part....is that rubber gaskets are actually the correct and far better concept. But.....no one I have seen attempt it for a thick gasket like our VC gaskets.....has done it correctly.

The gaskets need to be of the right thickness.....and that thickness is THICK for solid rubber. Too thick really.

So.....to live with heat in the 400°F range....with compression and oil with fuel in it.....it will have to be viton or one of the other high end fluoroelastomer rubbers.

I have seen them made of Neoprene or nitrile or butyl rubber. All of those are the wrong rubber.

And....being that thick.....if they are too soft ....about 70 durometer and down.....they will keep squeezing down thinner as they heat up.

Why?

Think of a normal thin gasket intake made of viton. Its only a handful of thousandths thick on each side of gasket paper or metal. That rubber film may compress 10% to start with.....and over time, heat and load.....another 10-15%.....but the solid backing of gasket paper or metal stops further compression set. It may go from 0.010" on each side 0.007" on each side and stop there. Still a good seal.

So move to a gasket of viton rubber that is about 0.200" thick like our VC gaskets. It can and will compress until set....that same 20%-25% Shocked .....thats a lot.

So you either need to use a harder viton ...say 85 durometer.....and durometer is hard to control exactly......or.....the gasket needs to have a solid core or "bone" in it.....that makes up about 90%+ of the total thickness....with just a cast on viton outer seal face on both sides.

If you used some of the newer fluoro-silicones......those gaskets would be high heat, oil and fuel proof and stay pliable for eons.

This material is what most of the new intake seals, ater pump seals and other cast o-ring style gaskets on modern cars are made of. In many of these vehicles......you can remove and replace intake manifolds and TB's.....multiple times up through 100k miles plus.....and the gaskets are still pliable, have shape and can be reused without leaks. But they can be damned expensive. Partly because the material is not cheap and partly because they have to be molded.

A metal valve cover gasket with a cast on fluorosilicone o-ring on each side would be ideal for our cars.

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: