Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nice to just get out and drive!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Nice to just get out and drive! Reply with quote

Finally got off my ass this year and have found a way to work on my bus. I have a drive lately and it is a nice feeling to have. Although I have many hobbies that I continue to enjoy most of my time with, I have been setting aside Friday as a day to work on my bus, and slowly get stuff done.

After a bit of time off the road, but with still more work to be done (does it ever end? think not!), I am now enjoying some of the rewards of owning and working on my own bus.

After doing some front end brake work and various other projects, such as fuel lines recently, I finally took some time to go on a nice 30 mile ride, just to town and back (I live in the sticks), to gas up my 67 Bus after having an empty tank.

Was surprised that between the 4.25 to 4.5 gallons of new gas I put in at home, plus 7.33 in town at my station, it took 11.58 to top up. Figured I may have used that .25 getting to town so probably 11.25 gallons or so to go from bone dry to 11.25 on a 67. I thought and read they are only 10.6. Hmmm. haha.

Or maybe more than .25 to town which was 12 miles to the station... maybe used .5 gallons at most, so if even at 11 to 11.25 gallons, mine shows higher than the user manual.

Either way, was a nice drive... and I had a good day. Now what project is next!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom snowden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice to just get out and drive! Reply with quote

Awesome bus, enjoy your spare time driving it looking for your next fill up!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice to just get out and drive! Reply with quote

It’s easy to forget what a treat these things are to drive.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
westcoastbullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice to just get out and drive! Reply with quote

always makes me smile even when times are bad...

TEAM AUOK 1984 SKATEBOARD CO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Nice to just get out and drive! Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
It’s easy to forget what a treat these things are to drive.

Having not had a split for a few years, you're wrong.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Nice to just get out and drive! Reply with quote

I concur.
Maybe 6 months ago I was talking to my mother and mentioned how I could sell my Bus and pretty much be debt free instantly. She said "Yeah, but then you'd be just wishing you had another Bus and what do you do when you get stressed? You get in your Bus and cruise around. Don't sell it."
I may be 35 years old but I'm going to listen to my mama. Very Happy

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Nice to just get out and drive! Reply with quote

Adam,

Yo Mama's a keeper! Smart lady with great advice for you!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Nice to just get out and drive! Reply with quote

Boy those posts are so true. I have been in the VW game since the late 70s, and usually have one sitting in the garage or are looking at buying another. I am now driving a 67 Sedan and with what is happening in the World today I can feel the stress disappear when ever I get behind the wheel Very Happy
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Nice to just get out and drive! Reply with quote

No Shit! I can't imagine getting rid of any of my three Split Buses. They are my best prescription for a good time! Turn the key and go out for a spin...

I took my bone-stock '59 DD Panel out last night and cruised the Interstates to a VW club meeting in the burbs of St. Louis. I took over the slow lane and happily cruised at 52mph and made everyone go around me while enjoying the sunset. No one was pissy, lots of smiles and a few waves and thumbs up from other drivers. It's my job to make "me" happy in my Split, but I can also make others happy while I'm out there too!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice to just get out and drive! Reply with quote

It's been bearably hot in the south this week (highs in the 80s rather than high 90's like the previous week and the forecast for next week) and I haven't driven my GTI since Tuesday. I've been using the Bus to commute to work and errands and such. The rumble of the flat four and my hands on that big ol' steering wheel just make me smile.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: