Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is the AET engine code a replacement for an ACU engine in CA?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gottrond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Is the AET engine code a replacement for an ACU engine in CA? Reply with quote

I live in California and have a 1995 Eurovan that I need to swap out the 2.5L 5 cylinder ACU engine. For details why see:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9516819#9516819

I found several AET engines, as I understand it the European version for 95 and 96 Eurovans. I am told the AET has no secondary smog tube. Meaning does not have a place to attach the SMOG pump (aka: secondary air injection pump).

The camper is originally from the midwest and when I bought it I discovered it had no catalytic converter. I had to install one to pass smog inspection.

I am getting different answers from shop to shop/parts guys. Some say it will pass without the SMOG pump as it does not affect the emissions level that much with the catalytic converter installed and running clean.

The defense says that the 1995 and the 1996 Eurovans originally came with the SMOG pump and will have to have it for visual inspection in order to pass CA Smog test. Regardless of passing emission levels. As that unlike the 93 to 94 AAF Eurovans that didn't originally have the SMOG pump.

As my cousin, Vinny says "Does the defense's case hold water?"

Will an AET in a 1995 /1996 Eurovan pass inspection in CA? Does an AET truly = an ACU?

If no one can answer this, can you point me in the right direction to where to call to confirm or debunking this argument?

*** Sidenote is the answer the same for the engine codes APL and AVT. ***
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Is the AET engine code a replacement for an ACU engine in CA? Reply with quote

First....not a CARB expert but

)
Quote:
Some say it will pass without the SMOG pump as it does not affect the emissions level that much with the catalytic converter installed and

First check is for required installed equipment, so Fail for “ some”

Two approaches here.

Find an emissions sticker for the engine you want...it will list the required smog stuff

I thought CARB had a resource database of model years and equipment. Maybe ask at a referee or smog shop, post Covid spike, of course

Not a time to be out right now
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is the AET engine code a replacement for an ACU engine in CA? Reply with quote

Well the smog station will go off of the sticker first then check the database. Now I don’t have a ACU 95 but doesn’t the air get injected into the exhaust manifold and the combi valve tubing is on the intake? The blocks are pretty much all the same with the addition of knock sensors and such. The primary purpose of the SAI is to warm up the CAT faster. Remember you just mainly need to pass a visual and make it look all there. It’s pre obd2 so diagnostic isn’t there much. Look clean/run clean=pass
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is the AET engine code a replacement for an ACU engine in CA? Reply with quote

Without the secondary air injection pump, you will fail the visual inspection portion. Then again, you may get lucky the the person doing the smog may not care/understand as long as the tailpipe testing passes. Another way is to take the van to a referee and have it certified with the new motor.
gottrond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the AET engine code a replacement for an ACU engine in CA? Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone.

I am not sure what a referee is, but it sounds like that is what I should be researching.

Thanks again, I will post what I find out later.
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the AET engine code a replacement for an ACU engine in CA? Reply with quote

Looking at the two engines the SAI tube is in the intake. That would have to be switched over anyways cause the AET uses SIMOS and ACU uses digifant. The Injectors and TB are different and controlled differently. The head gasket sets are the same and pistons are the same. I’ve seen an APL in person and looks the same minus the intake. It was the same water pump, plugs, flanges. Ref would only be needed if you were converting the whole thing like ECU management. Think of it like back when people would put Cleveland heads in a Windsor car or camelhump heads on a regular block.

I’d say if you need an engine then go for what you can find.
gottrond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the AET engine code a replacement for an ACU engine in CA? Reply with quote

[quote="BatesEV"]

Hello BatesEV,

For some reason, I missed your response. I am still dealing with trying to get my 95 EuroVan fixed do to low funds.

Thank you for the great info. I think you are saying the pistons are the same that the Block is swappable.

All I need is a compatible ACU long block. My shop says they are 90% sure I don't need to replace the head that was re-tooled 2,500 miles before this happened. They think the timing was off due to a missing fuse for the ECU, that the shop that rebuilt the head didn't check for, that they blamed on the previous owner. However, now I question that.

Anyhow, are you confirming that the blocks of the ACU and AET are swappable?

Thank you for your help with this!
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is the AET engine code a replacement for an ACU engine in CA? Reply with quote

Just swap the head. Problem solved?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: